Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
I have a 24 iMac (Early 2009) version and i need to get rid of it, but i want to trade it for a Macbook Pro 13" instead. Someone on craigslist offered me a 13" Late 2009 model with 4gb ram and 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo for an even swap. Obviously its not an even trade on my end, but i feel that i will not get another chance to do the swap with someone else. What do you recommend i do? Mine has Apple care until September 2012 and his is about to expire real soon. What do you recommend i do? Please help me out. Thanks!!!!

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
112 Views and no one can give me a little insight on whether this is a bad decision or not? Come on guys. Help me out here. Today i met up with the person that wants to trade me and his machine looked and functioned fine. I tried to do the Hardware test but to no avail (we didnt have the apple discs). He also told me that he doesnt have the original apple discs or apple care on the machine. So that means that i will have to shell out some money to purchase Snow Leopard again on top of the trade. So i told him to purchase that for me. Considering that i have applecare on my iMac, should i pressure him into buying me an Apple Care for the Macbook Pro? Is AppleCare transferable to another machine? What about my iMac? How do i go about transferring the account and details to his name?

P.S. - He also said he upgraded the RAM to 4GB coming from 2GB with non Apple branded RAM modules.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I don't think it sounds like a terrible deal, but not a good one either.

If I were you, I'd sell the iMac outright (should be able to get at least $900-1000 on eBay) and buy the new 13" MBP.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
I don't think it sounds like a terrible deal, but not a good one either.

If I were you, I'd sell the iMac outright (should be able to get at least $900-1000 on eBay) and buy the new 13" MBP.
All ebay listing i see its only hitting 700$. Plus the hastle of shipping it. This is the ONLY reason im considering his trade. If he makes good and purchases the apple care for the Macbook Pro, i wouldnt mind swapping it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.