Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Hi, I hope this is in the right place, im new to forums!
Ok, I borrowed my mates macbook black 2.0 ghz 2gb ram laptop the otherday to install and use premiere pro (the movie editing software) on his windows 7 partition. I myself have a macbook, and am often quite capable of figuring problems out, but this ones stumped me!
After using the windows partition (I did not touch the mac partition that night) I shutdown, and the next morning it wouldn't start into os x! (10.5)
It comes to the blue screen and just stays like that.
Since the windows partition was still working, I figured that the hdd was probably still ok, and it was just a software issue, so I target disk'd it to my macbook, to back up, and then reinstall a fresh 10.6 copy.
thus the issue arose. When I came to the user files, they were condensed into a 65gb .sparsebundle image, which when transferred to my mac, was found that it is encrypted and all the passwords that the guy has given me have failed! how do I mount this/ recover the files?-do I need 65gb of free space to mount? (it's copied to my external) is there a way to consolidate the bands together? why was all his data in this format?-he didn't create the image.
Is this sounding like a software issue? will all be fixed with a clean reinstall?
Cheers,
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.