Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105532-800x600_comp8.jpg

Over the weekend, the Apple web was abuzz after Engadget offered images of what appeared to be a possible next-generation iPhone that had reportedly been lost in a bar in the general vicinity of Apple's headquarters. Further evidence of their authenticity then surfaced when it was noticed that a similar device appeared in a legitimate leaked iPad photo just before its January introduction.

And today, Gizmodo drops the biggest bombshell: They got their hands on the device and have examined it and torn it apart for all to see.
What's new
- Front-facing video chat camera
- Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
- Camera flash
- Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
- Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before -- it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
- What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
- Split buttons for volume
- Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
Other changes observed in the device compared to the current iPhone include a glass or shiny plastic back, 16% larger battery, and a slightly smaller but apparently higher resolution screen.

Unfortunately, Gizmodo was not able to see the phone in action, as it appears to have been remotely disabled by Apple. The report does, however, lay out a through description of the device and a number of arguments as to why this almost certainly is a legitimate next-generation iPhone. While certain aspects may be tweaked prior to launch, the overall feature set of the next-generation iPhone certainly appears to be included in this device.

Article Link: Apparent Next-Generation iPhone Gets a Thorough Hands-On

Zorrow

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Let see how everybody that said that if this is the real deal they are not getting this "Hideous" "Non-Apple design" phone!!

peteyyt

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Looks like it is the next iPhone. I really do like it, maybe minus the random cut out lines.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Hmm. The breaks in the case are very un-Apple.

[EDIT] Okay this is the real deal...and I love it.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
And people still believe it's fake? Here's ya new Iphone enjoy. Seems they fixed that battery issue by increasing it's size at least.

jbdeen

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Waiting for the impending "Removed at the request of Apple Legal" for validation of this one...:p

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Only way I'll even consider this is if it comes to Verizon. I like the look of the 3GS I have now - I just hate the provider.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
I still don't believe it to be a real iPhone. Has there ever been an iPod with a user replaceable battery? Just that alone makes me seriously question it...

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
Want, badly.

One of the first times I can recall an Apple product having EVERYTHING you'd like in it.

Although I kind of like the design, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tweaked before release. Looks pretty Motorola-y.

Wonder what type of network it will run on? They keep calling it 4G, but I assume that means 4th gen?

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Not a Must Have

Unless the flash for the back camera is incredible, I don't think that I have to sign on for another 2 years with AT&T just to have this phone. So thanks Apple, for hopefully giving me the choice to go to Verizon next summer:p

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Wifey is getting my 3GS as soon as this thing comes out.

That being said, I think it more closely follows the design language of the MacBook Pro and iPad, so it has a more familial appearance. The current iPhones don't really fit in design-wise with those two devices.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Couldn't they have taken a high-res picture of the "Connect to iTunes" screen? Or did Apple kill that too?

Interesting if they would be able to do a "remote firmware wipe."

Personally, I hope that feature comes to the end-user so a lost or stolen iPhone couldn't be used, EVER. As someone who lost an iPhone recently, even though the remote wipe killed all the data, I know someone else is enjoying it right now as their new iPhone. Imagine if the device could actually be registered with the original user, and no matter what SIM is in there, it could still be disabled when authenticating to a cellular or Wi-Fi network. That would be awesome.

usedbert

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
You can look at my previous posts if you feel I'm back pedaling- I do like the design with the glass and aluminum "sandwich". I'm just not crazy about the buttons and the seams, although those are likely to change as they are small cosmetic details when compared to the overall construction.

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
step backwards in design?

I think you have to think about what priorities you want - if you want a removable battery and all these buttons, something has to give from this "simple" design that apple does. It is one or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.