Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
so its still under applecare and i assume that i should be allowed to have the GPU replaced.

Of the current selections that apple provides, would i be out of line to demand either a 4870 or a 285gtx? I certainly would not settle for a gt120 since the 8800 gt is a much better card.

I will probably pull out all extra memory / Harddrives that i added and get it back to the stock config when i purchased. Will they expect me to bring this massive thing to an apple store to get some retard's prognosis of what i already know?

also, if and when i get a choice between the two GPUs, which one should i go for?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
They will likely replace it with 8800GT.

Call to store and ask if you could just bring the GPU, not the whole Mac Pro

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
they still carry around 8800gt's these days?

Not in stock but they order it and you have to wait for it to arrive, I think. Of course you can call and ask but this is the usual protocol, same if I wanted my iMac to get fixed, they would have to order the logic board even though they might have something similar in stock.

If you want e.g. 4870, you could ask if you could get it and maybe pay the difference

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
it's policy to take the whole Mac in for tests, usually :/

as for the 8800gt, you can have it running by yourself in 10 min, use search for "Bake 8800"

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
it's policy to take the whole Mac in for tests, usually :/

as for the 8800gt, you can have it running by yourself in 10 min, use search for "Bake 8800"

ah yeah.

i dont know, seems like a risky thing to do, considering that i still have it under warranty...

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
So in the event that they give me an option between the 4870 and 285gtx

which one should i go for?

nvidia has really been pissing me off these days with their ****** ass drivers for windows

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
So in the event that they give me an option between the 4870 and 285gtx

which one should i go for?

nvidia has really been pissing me off these days with their ****** ass drivers for windows
Well, if speed isn't your only concern, then it seems you've answered your own quesion. ;) :D :p

I'm no fan of nVidia either, and drivers is one of the reasons. The newer cards also run too hot and are pigs when it comes to power (why they're so dang hot in the first place). So I'd opt for the 4870 myself out of concern the 285 would roast itself.

But if raw performance is your primary need, the 285 is a faster card from a technical POV, and better suited for some software as well (i.e. leverages CUDA).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But if raw performance is your primary need, the 285 is a faster card from a technical POV, and better suited for some software as well (i.e. leverages CUDA).

But what I've heard, it sucks in OpenGL which is use much widely than CUDA. BTW, does OS X even support CUDA (can it be used under OS X)?

GTX 285 is better for games, but if you need GPU for OpenGL as well, ATI 4870 is a lot faster.

Of course you could get GTX 285, sell it, buy an ATI 4870 and get an easy 100$

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK

Unfortunately that's the other way round these days.

The NVIDIA OS X drivers for the 285 pretty much suck, which is why the technically slower card (4870) performs better in OS X. For games, get the 285, for OS X performance, buy the 4870.

Or, even better, wait till Apple releases their new cards and buy a low end card till then.

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
surely the 4870 is as good or better than the 8800 for games right? thats all i care for. if 4870 is better in OSX and better than the 8800 in windows then that would be the one i think i would go for.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
surely the 4870 is as good or better than the 8800 for games right? thats all i care for. if 4870 is better in OSX and better than the 8800 in windows then that would be the one i think i would go for.

Yeah, a lot better. If you mainly play games, then GTX 285 might be better choice as it's faster than 4870 in games but sucks in e.g. OpenGL which is used by some apps. GTX 285 is also 100$ more expensive so if I could choose, I would take it and sell it when new GPUs come

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
But what I've heard, it sucks in OpenGL which is use much widely than CUDA. BTW, does OS X even support CUDA (can it be used under OS X)?
Some software uses OpenGL, some CUDA, so I'd base it off of the software used. If unsure, I'd suspect OpenGL performance is more important, as I'm under the impression that more software uses it under OS X. And as you mention, the nVidia drivers suck (Windows and OS X as I understand it).

But to play it safe, and get the best choice, I'd put in the time to do the research on the applications and determine where the majority of the time is spent.

GTX 285 is better for games, but if you need GPU for OpenGL as well, ATI 4870 is a lot faster.
For a faster card, but used for a multitude of different things, the HD4870 is a better balance IMO. Cheaper too, if it's not given as a freebie (Apple choses to issue a new 8800 instead - I'd actually be surprised if they even offer a GTX 285 anyway, even if they are willing to issue an upgraded card).

Of course you could get GTX 285, sell it, buy an ATI 4870 and get an easy 100$
True, but I wouldn't bet on Apple even offering the GTX 285 to begin with. And then it would really need to be kept on-hand at least until the warranty expires.

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
yeah, i agree. I would prefer a better balance card that leans towards OSX's favor.

with my luck, i'll probably only be given the option to get an 8800.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
yeah, i agree. I would prefer a better balance card that leans towards OSX's favor.

with my luck, i'll probably only be given the option to get an 8800.
If they've one in stock, this is what I'd expect. Perhaps they'll allow to you pay the difference for an HD4870. Worth asking at least, if they do want to issue another 8800.

Assuming you do end up with another 8800, you could try the flashing or injector route with a PC version, as the cost is much more acceptable (or a 4890) from what's available now.

If you can wait, you might be able to get a 5870 (assuming Apple releases an OS X version, and the PC version is within your budget), once someone extracts the firmware and do a flash (go for a unit that uses the ATI reference design as it's a much better chance of working - ROM size could still be an issue, so waiting can allow you to get a card maker/model number that will flash properly). IIRC, the injector method isn't working yet (but definitely worth checking into IMO).

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
it pains me to see my mac pro sitting still... crippled. Gonna need to take a day off from work to deal with this crapola

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.