Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I need to transfer everything from an old PowerBook G4 running 10.4.11, to the new MBP i5. Will this work? I was going to do it through firewire. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the PowerBook has 2 user accounts. I won't die if I can't add one of the accounts if adding 2 makes it a lot more complicated.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes, Firewire or Ethernet will work with Applications / Utilities / Migration Assistant.

But know, that some applications might not work in Mac OS X 10.6 due to Rosetta missing or complete incompatibility.

MRoogle will tell you a lot about this, as this comes up every two weeks or so.

Alleyoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks, I did search a bit but did not know if it would make a difference with the brand new i5 MBP's. Didn't find info on that, but maybe I should have searched longer.

Don't know what Rosetta is, but I'll cross my fingers for Photoshop, Illustrator & Dreamweaver CS4, Excel, and Microsoft Word!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Rosetta translates PPC only software to be usable on x86 (Intel) Macs.
Mac OS X 10.6 does not have Rosetta installed, but you can either install it from the install DVD or the internet.

Btw, it does not matter what Mac you use, as Mac OS X is the same on all Macs, except the hardware specific abilities. Thus the migration will work with a 2011 Mac as it worked with a 2007 Mac.

dausone

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
I'm not sure of the ability to add multiple user accounts at the same time. But I just did a Migrate and it worked out well. FCS needed a passoword re-entered but CS4 ran without any hitches. Also, just an fyi, I should have migrated to my new mbp when prompted to do so during initial startup. Because I waited until after I set up a main user account for the computer my user account for my old computer became a secondary user. Trivial but a pain in the ass for me. Ho hum, off to reinstall.

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Any problems, Alleyoop? I'm going to be doing this next week (12" PPC to 13" MBP) and I was wondering what issues I can expect.

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Just to follow up on my own post, I can confirm that I had no problems transferring my files and settings from my 1.5 GHz PPC 12" Powerbook to an early-2010 13" Macbook Pro.

All my PPC-only programs transferred fine and when opening any of them, there's a pop-up that asks whether you want to install Rosetta.

klkaylor

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
migration assistant issue

just got a new MBP 15 with i7 processor with 10.6. have a very old G4 running 10.4.11. Have tried all methods of Migration assistant- wireless via
APE, direct ethernet, router ethernet no luck. Repaired the old hard drive and permissions still no luck - do not have firewire on old G4 so that is not an option
any ideas?

AlliOop

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
My Migration Asst won't transfer TO another machine, just from

I have a 10.4.11 iBook G4 that I want to migrate to MacBook 10.6 (no firewire port!), but the only option I have from the G4 is to migrate FROM another Mac; not TO.

The MacBook has no firewire port, so to migrate it tells me to use Ethernet. I've done that before without too many problems, so no worry. But this time it tells me to insert the disk that came with the new machine into the old machine and install "DVD or CD Sharing Setup" software. I have inserted both the CDs that came with the new machine into the old, but cannot find anything that gives me that software. There is no "Disc 1."

Any ideas? I would rather migrate than to copy the user account over, but have done that successfully before, too. (fyi, once you copy a user account into the new Macintosh HD > Users folder, you then go into Users (in Sys Prefs) and add that exact name that is on the folder. It will tell you it already exists and say 'OK.')

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.