Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/hp-slate-leaks-its-way-into-the-wild-meh/

HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh'
By Nilay Patel posted Apr 19th 2010 3:14PM

We've only ever seen the HP Slate in extremely controlled demonstrations and cheesy videos until now, but it looks like the Windows 7 tablet just spent a little bit of time in the wild -- Conecti.ca's posted up a full hands-on and mini-review. Their conclusion? "The official verdict is meh." Yeah, ouch. Apparently the Slate's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness -- it's essentially a touchscreen netbook, and that means that while it can run everything including Flash, it can be "slow and annoying."

Unfortunately there's not a lot of info on how well HP's TouchSmart Windows 7 skin works, so we'll wait till we play with one before we make a decision, but man -- we definitely weren't expecting this thing to look so chunky in the photos. No wonder the press pics and other demos are so carefully arranged -- it really does look like a chopped up netbook. At least the HDMI dock is somewhat sexy, we suppose.

slate2.jpg

04-19-10hpslate1.jpg

04-19-10hpslate2.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

So who *didn't* see this coming?

What's really scary is that it looks like HP actually put some effort into this pile of fail.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I love HP computers - great experience with them.

Agreed. I have a four year old 15" HP laptop that is still as good as the day I bought it. It came with XP Media center and I now have Windows 7 on it and it handles it perfectly.

I wouldn't mind getting the HP slate when it comes out instead of the iPad.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Agreed. I have a four year old 15" HP laptop that is still as good as the day I bought it. It came with XP Media center and I now have Windows 7 on it and it handles it perfectly.

I've had a 15" MBP that would be four years old now. I wouldn't be able to run Snow Leopard on it. That's a fail.

Oh look, who's started this thread! I'm off.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed. Since its running a full blown OS, I'm interested in the slate as well. so far from what I've seen it has features that the ipad doesn't and makes it a viable alternative (depending on the price).

Rumors are swirling that it may have a release date of June

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Agreed. Since its running a full blown OS, I'm interested in the slate as well.

Me too. Once it gets to a larger screen, I want it to have more functionality. I can understand a trimmed OS for a phone, but not a tablet.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I saw an SD card slot? nice

it probably also has one or two USB, so mice, printer, scanner, external HDD and DVD-Ron are all good, if win7 turn out to be slow (which I dont know), install a Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be fine too.

If it also has handwriting input would be even better.

Maybe when I were to update my Netbook, this would be a valid option, hopefully I can plug it to my TV, since my current netbook is often connected to my TV and used for netflix.

I will hold my decision until I see what Lenovo and Dell have to offer.

NOoo, Dell is offering Android ones, thats a no from me, now lets wait and see Lenovo, Acer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.