PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Video Power

BRAVOSON
Apr 19, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hey there,

I'm planning on buying a Mac Pro, probably a 2008 or 2009. What I do want to know is: how easy is it to put a non-mac videocard, which needs additional power, in it? It is just a card for playing games in windows. For HD 5870 I know I do need two power cords which I have to plug into the Logic Board, but these are different from usual cords, aren't they?

I would really appreciate some advice or help;)

nanofrog
Apr 19, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hey there,

I'm planning on buying a Mac Pro, probably a 2008 or 2009. What I do want to know is: how easy is it to put a non-mac videocard, which needs additional power, in it? It is just a card for playing games in windows. For HD 5870 I know I do need two power cords which I have to plug into the Logic Board, but these are different from usual cords, aren't they?

I would really appreciate some advice or help;)
Yes, they're a bit different, as the connector to the logic board is a smaller version of the connector than is used on the graphics cards (6 pin). If you need an 8 pin, then you have to get an adapter (standard 6 pin to 8 pin adapter works as it connects to the standard PCIe 6 pin power connector).

The necessary cables can be had from either ATI directly (http://www.atistore.com/store/atina/en_US/pd/productID.127922400), or Svideo.com (http://www.svideo.com/x1900.html).

BRAVOSON
Apr 20, 2010, 01:54 AM
thanks mate! I think I am gonna buy one now:D

nanofrog
Apr 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
thanks mate! I think I am gonna buy one now:D
You might want to go ahead and order the pair, as both would be needed for the 5870 (assuming you don't already have one).

And it makes future card upgrades easier as well, as you'll already have the cables, and getting them at the same time should reduce shipping vs. 2x separate orders.

And there's a chance these cables will be discontinued as well (ATI's price is dropping, so they may be trying to dump existing stocks, and pull the SKU completely).

Glad the info helped, and good luck. :)