PDA

View Full Version : Buying AppleCare from Amazon

joshua_msu
Sep 22, 2004, 08:41 PM
Has anyone ever bought Applecare from Amazon? I am looking to buy it for my iPod, and they have it for 10 dollars cheaper than Apple plus free shipping. However, I heard from someone that Amazon is not an authorized dealer, so you have to go through all of these hassles like faxing receipts and whatnot to Apple for them to honor it. Is this true? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

reh
Sep 22, 2004, 10:01 PM
Amazon is an authorized apple reseller. Just look at their website (apple section). I don't see how it matters with AppleCare anyway. It's just a code.

Elan0204
Sep 22, 2004, 10:18 PM
I don't think it should be a problem, especially if you bought your iPod from Apple directly. AppeCare is just a code you give to an Apple rep over the phone. Most likely, your iPod is already in their system, so they can easily add on the AppleCare.

yoda13
Sep 23, 2004, 01:16 AM
I hope that you have better luck ording Applecare for your iPod from them then I did. I ordered it, with it showing shipping within 24 hours, only to get an email later the next day telling me that it was out of stock and they didn't know when they would get more in, so they were canceling my order for me. So I wish you luck. I was drawn in by the cheaper price as well. I hope it turns out better for you then it did for me.

caveman_uk
Sep 23, 2004, 03:10 AM
I bought both my applecare warranties off of ebay and had no problems - so no, it doesn't matter where you buy them so long as they're unopened.

tech4all
Sep 23, 2004, 03:23 AM
It's just a code.

I haven't used my AppleCare (thanksfully) yet. But where is this code I need to confirm with the Apple rep in order to use the AppleCare?

Thanks!

caveman_uk
Sep 23, 2004, 10:09 AM
I haven't used my AppleCare (thanksfully) yet. But where is this code I need to confirm with the Apple rep in order to use the AppleCare?

Thanks!
I hope you've registered it before the end of the first year. You need the code when you register. IT's on the inside cover of the booklet. If you've not registered you may have a problem proving you haven't just bought the warranty when you computer died.

tech4all
Sep 23, 2004, 02:58 PM
I hope you've registered it before the end of the first year. You need the code when you register. IT's on the inside cover of the booklet. If you've not registered you may have a problem proving you haven't just bought the warranty when you computer died.

Register my G5? Well I've only had it since June of this year, so I still got time. And to regisiter it; do I just click on that icon in my home folder that says, "Send Registration", if so I will do that ASAP. Then when I click that link, and it takes me to where it takes me, I enter the AppleCare code there when I register the G5?

Sorry if this is obvouis stuff, but I'm not too familiar to all the details of AppleCare.

EDIT: I just looked at the stuff inside, but can't find the number. I have the CD, of course, two cards (Fact sheet and Quick Reference Guide) and a Terms and Conditions sheet.

caveman_uk
Sep 23, 2004, 03:41 PM
No, that's different. In both the Applecare boxed sets I've had there's a CD some bits of paper and a Booklet. On the inside front cover of that booklet is your Applecare registration number. You have to (at least in Europe) ring apple to register the applecare. Applecare is separate to the one year warranty that you get by buying the machine. Applecare costs extra - are we talking about the same thing?

tech4all
Sep 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
No, that's different. In both the Applecare boxed sets I've had there's a CD some bits of paper and a Booklet. On the inside front cover of that booklet is your Applecare registration number. You have to (at least in Europe) ring apple to register the applecare. Applecare is separate to the one year warranty that you get by buying the machine. Applecare costs extra - are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I it is AppleCare that I have and not just the standard 1 year warranty. Can you describe this booklet where the AppleCare registration number is? The only thing I have closest to that is the Terms and Conditions (but that's more of a brochure style folding rather than a "book"). The rest are those cards and CD. There is this code on the CD itselft that has numbers and letters in a XXXX - XXXX - X format. There's also some numbers on the UPS on the box itself. But I doubt that's it. I hope they didn't forget to put something in. Luckily I live about a 20-30 minute drive to an AppleStore in the bay area, so I could go ask them or something.

caveman_uk
Sep 24, 2004, 03:55 PM
My Powermac Applecare box contains the following...

1) CD - tech tool deluxe from micromat.

2) Single sheet A4 - "Important - Service & Support Information" in 7 languages (this is the EU version remember)

3) Booklet - "Applecare Protection Plan User Guide" has a big red apple on the front. It has about 60 pages because it's in 10 languages. The English section has a quick reference guide and the T&Cs. The registration code is on the inside of the front cover. It has the form xxxxxxxxxxxAPPx

I guess it's on your brochure thing. Our booklet is a lot thicker because Apple has to do it in 10 languages! :eek: