PDA

View Full Version : UK Prepares to Use Human Waste to Power Homes

obeygiant
Apr 19, 2010, 08:20 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/b7mh6e.jpg

In some parts of the UK anaerobic digesters are already being used to generate electricity from human refuse, but this summer British Gas in a partnership with Thames Water and Scotia Gas Networks will start piping biomethane from the sewage system — which is derived from fecal matter — right back into the homes of 130 customers in Didcot in Oxfordshire. The new gas will take 23 days to complete its waste treatment cycle and when it enters homes will smell just like natural gas.

Using human waste for power is not a new idea. Marco Polo noticed that the Chinese used enclosed sewage tanks to generate power and bath water was said to be heated with biogas in Assyria in the 10th century BC. With populations on the rise and the issue of what to do with sewage becoming an ever present problem, why not bring it back around to electrify our houses? It’s completely renewable — as long as we keep eating — and could be a big part of the no waste holy grail.inhabit (http://inhabitat.com/2010/04/19/uk-prepares-to-use-human-poop-to-power-homes/)

What a crappy idea! But seriously, good work, lol. :)

mobilehaathi
Apr 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
Cool!

flopticalcube
Apr 19, 2010, 08:22 PM
When I read the title I though about a bunch of chavs on stationary bicycles. Don't know why.

dukebound85
Apr 19, 2010, 08:24 PM
clean water? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no thanks lol

but does sound interesting

SactoGuy18
Apr 20, 2010, 07:03 AM
And you wonder why many people propose using compressed natural gas (CNG) to fuel personal vehicles. Since CNG can come from many different sources (gas fields, biomass, etc.) and CNG burns very cleanly, it could be a very effectively transitional technology for cleaner cars until battery technology catches up for long-range motor vehicle use.

niuniu
Apr 20, 2010, 07:06 AM
Excellent, lets do it

kernkraft
Apr 20, 2010, 07:06 AM
"UK Prepares to Use Human Waste to Power Homes" - that would suit the state of the housing stock in the UK. It's not just my impression. According to the OECD, the UK and Ireland has the worst housing stock in Western Europe.

Flynnstone
Apr 20, 2010, 07:48 AM
UK is run by old farts?

unid
Apr 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
I think Oslo has it's buses running on biomethane?
bearing in mind the tech has been around since the 10th century
it's a bit bizarre it's not more widesread

oblomow
Apr 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
clean water? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no thanks lol

but does sound interesting

So where do you think your clean water is now coming from? From the unlimited supply of fresh water in the sky? All water is basically recycled crap. (or human waste is basically watered down feces). See image. It's in dutch, but you'll understand.

H00513R
Apr 20, 2010, 08:07 AM
So where do you think your clean water is now coming from? From the unlimited supply of fresh water in the sky? All water is basically recycled crap. (or human waste is basically watered down feces). See image. It's in dutch, but you'll understand.

The poster stated that they don't want clean water. Maybe they like their feces sludge?

I like idea. There is certainly an endless supply to be had! Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

ethical
Apr 20, 2010, 08:14 AM
Good idea. I wonder how efficient it is though?

Also, I wonder if my diet will affect the quality of gas :p
Eat McDonalds and your cooker turns off.

ucfgrad93
Apr 20, 2010, 08:30 AM

That was my initial thought as well. I think it is worth looking into.

unid
Apr 20, 2010, 08:43 AM

Oslo city council is taking the electricity used to generate the fuel into consideration and calculate that carbon emissions per bus are 18 tonnes per year, a saving of 44 tonnes of C02 per bus per year.

source (http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/009372.html)

Mousse
Apr 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
Also, I wonder if my diet will affect the quality of gas :p

I doubt it will have any effect on the quality of the gas, but it should make a difference in the quantity.;) I've got a t-shirt that reads: World's Greatest Source of Natural Gas.:p

TheAnswer
Apr 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
MacRumors uses similar technology. They use all the BS from the PRSI to power the whole site. :p

Schtumple
Apr 20, 2010, 08:03 PM
MacRumors uses similar technology. They use all the BS from the PRSI to power the whole site. :p

Hahaha, awesome.

obeygiant
Apr 20, 2010, 09:10 PM

Excellent. :D

RawBert
Apr 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
The shiznit.

carlgo
Apr 21, 2010, 09:09 AM

Not in the US. Waste treatment plants typically just make the water safe to dump into the ocean or a river. We get our water from reservoirs and wells.

There may be some local exception to that, some agricultural use maybe, but the crazy water people would roll over and die on the spot if they thought they were drinking recycle ca ca.

I sure as hell can't read Dutch, nobody can, but that body of water depicted in the illustration may well be the ocean, not a recycle situation. It just looks like it is being treated as it is elsewhere.

The space station, submarines and such have hugely complex and expensive recycling systems, but they have to.

oblomow
Apr 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Not in the US. Waste treatment plants typically just make the water safe to dump into the ocean or a river. We get our water from reservoirs and wells.

There may be some local exception to that, some agricultural use maybe, but the crazy water people would roll over and die on the spot if they thought they were drinking recycle ca ca.

I sure as hell can't read Dutch, nobody can, but that body of water depicted in the illustration may well be the ocean, not a recycle situation. It just looks like it is being treated as it is elsewhere.

The space station, submarines and such have hugely complex and expensive recycling systems, but they have to.

But how do these reservoirs eventually get filled? And over here, the clean waste water gets dumped in the rivers ( Rhine, Maas etc ) and that water is used downstream to make drinking water.

I can read Dutch btw. My mommy taught me. :)

Abstract
Apr 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
Baked beans + car seats with a pipe built into the seat that leads straight into the engine = profit!!

oblomow
Apr 23, 2010, 04:06 AM
Baked beans + car seats with a pipe built into the seat that leads straight into the engine = profit!!

And you won't be needing seatbelts anymore! (if the pipe is long enough)

obeygiant
Apr 23, 2010, 10:14 AM

lol, just what are you implying here.

Gaelic2
Apr 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
What a wonderful idea. Bring to Washington DC and they could supply all of New England with clean energy! There may even be enough for the Mid-West as well. DC is loaded with the stuff!:p

harveypooka
Apr 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
Good ****.