Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidChavez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Mexico
Well, finaly after going through with Finder problems, and an screwed MagSafe charger, I decided to upgrade my poor (almost) 2 years old MacBook. I'm planning to buy Snow Leopard, new RAM memories and brand new drives.
But here's my dilemma: we everybody know that Solid State Drives aka SSD are faster, but more expensive than normal Hard Disk Drives aka HDD. Also SSD's live less time. But I saw a video (here) where a guy (an Argentiean entrepreneur called Martin Varsavsky by the way) shows his 2 stunning MacBooks. He says that the white MacBook wins over the 15-inch MacBook Pro in speed. Some people said that is because the white is new or because the MacBook's HDD has more rpms.

So, if I don't buy the fa$t SSD, I'll can buy an HDD with more rpm? I don't know if my MacBook will support an 320GB HDD 7200rpm (or it can hold up an 500GB one?)

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Hmmm

Why don't you consider a new Macbook?

Well, finaly after going through with Finder problems, and an screwed MagSafe charger, I decided to upgrade my poor (almost) 2 years old MacBook. I'm planning to buy Snow Leopard, new RAM memories and brand new drives.
But here's my dilemma: we everybody know that Solid State Drives aka SSD are faster, but more expensive than normal Hard Disk Drives aka HDD. Also SSD's live less time. But I saw a video (here) where a guy (an Argentiean entrepreneur called Martin Varsavsky by the way) shows his 2 stunning MacBooks. He says that the white MacBook wins over the 15-inch MacBook Pro in speed. Some people said that is because the white is new or because the MacBook's HDD has more rpms.

So, if I don't buy the fa$t SSD, I'll can buy an HDD with more rpm? I don't know if my MacBook will support an 320GB HDD 7200rpm (or it can hold up an 500GB one?)

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

Buy the largest hard drive (not SSD) you can afford. The Macbook can recognize the largest drives available, so that is not a factor. By installing a larger hard drive you will immediately notice a speed increase simply because a larger drive is denser and the "arm-thingy" has less distance to travel to get the information. 7200 RPM is faster but is a half second really that important? I'd go with 5400 RPM UNLESS the 7200 RPM is a $10-$15 difference.

I know that fast is what it is all about, but when you can't add another song or picture because your SSD drive is full it is a pointless speed. Unless you are using your computer to make money and seconds count, it is better to have more storage space for you to put your pictures, junk, stuff, etc. You can install a 640GB HDD for around $100 which is a far better use of your money than any SSD.

s.

DavidChavez

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Mexico
U haven't answer my question

Hi,

Buy the largest hard drive (not SSD) you can afford. The Macbook can recognize the largest drives available, so that is not a factor. By installing a larger hard drive you will immediately notice a speed increase simply because a larger drive is denser and the "arm-thingy" has less distance to travel to get the information. 7200 RPM is faster but is a half second really that important? I'd go with 5400 RPM UNLESS the 7200 RPM is a $10-$15 difference.

I know that fast is what it is all about, but when you can't add another song or picture because your SSD drive is full it is a pointless speed. Unless you are using your computer to make money and seconds count, it is better to have more storage space for you to put your pictures, junk, stuff, etc. You can install a 640GB HDD for around $100 which is a far better use of your money than any SSD.

s.

Yes, but 7200 RPM will really worth?. Also I don't know if my late 2007 MacBook will hold up so much storage.

breathesrain

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Your macbook will hold any 2.5" hard drive of standard height (which means up to 640 GB at the moment). the 7200 RPM is usually about 10$ more expensive than an equivalent 5400 RPM drive from the same manufacturer. 500 GB 7200 RPM sells for around 90-100 USD.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Yes, but 7200 RPM will really worth?. Also I don't know if my late 2007 MacBook will hold up so much storage.

Hi,

The Macbook can recognize the largest drives available, so that is not a factor.

The difference in speed will be there, but if the 7200 RPM drive is more than $10-$15 than a comparable 5400 RPM it isn't worth it.

How much is a 640GB HDD where you live?

s.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Get Western Digital's new 750GB drive. 2 platters, 375GB per. It'll be faster than the 640GB, and it'll feel like it's a 7200RPM drive because of the density. Probably a 15-20 dollar difference between the 640 and the 750 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.