Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
@0_omd unfortunately all steam mac beta testers are under an NDA so can't release screenies or the like. Just have to take my word for it

Damn. I would at least like some screen shots :(. All it takes is one person to break the NDA though, how would they know who did it?

SwedishFrog

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Damn. I would at least like some screen shots :(. All it takes is one person to break the NDA though, how would they know who did it?
A user on Twitter has posted some pics. I don't want to give a direct link because I don't want to help break the NDA, but if you poke around, you'll find them. :)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I found four pics on some blog, are those the ones you are referring to?

EDIT: Found even more :D. Apparently you can only download Portal now though.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I've got the Steam topic and Twitter search open, occasionally refreshing, hoping for some news about it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I take it Mac Portal is the only game currently playable?
Looks awesome though! Even though it really is just Steam for PC with better font rendering :D.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
hey these are welcome snapshots thanks, can you tell us if you need OSX 10.6 or will 10.5.8 do?

Someone looked at the Steam console while launching, and it mentioned 10.6, 10.5 and 10.4. So I think it runs on all of them (notice how it says macos104 is 1058? Must be a mistake in the code, or maybe it doesn't support 10.4?).

Section sysreqs :
"52003"
{
"macos"
{
"supported" "1"
"wants_fast_gpu" "1"
"Intel900" "0"
"IntelX3100" "0"
}
"macos104"
{
"supported" "0"
"os_min" "macos1058"
}
"macos105"
{
"supported" "0"
"os_min" "macos1058"
}
"macos106"
{
"supported" "0"
"os_min" "macos1063"
}

I take it Mac Portal is the only game currently playable?
Looks awesome though! Even though it really is just Steam for PC with better font rendering :D.

Yes, and everyone in the beta gets it for free, not sure if that's forever or just while the beta is on.

hurrikenux

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Someone looked at the Steam console while launching, and it mentioned 10.6, 10.5 and 10.4. So I think it runs on all of them (notice how it says macos104 is 1058? Must be a mistake in the code, or maybe it doesn't support 10.4?).

Yes, and everyone in the beta gets it for free, not sure if that's forever or just while the beta is on.

It isn't a mistake in the code, it is what needs to be there so that the Client will notify the user that they must have 10.5.8 or later installed to use it. They had to account for the lowest possible OS that would be used on an Intel Mac, which is 10.4.X.

hurrikenux

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Say you did procure a copy of the client app / DMG, it might not be very useful without a beta-enabled account..

A good measure indeed, not that people won't still try to post it.

I work for a small software company, even so people still post our products on torrent sites. What is funny is that some users that download it try and come to us for tech support.

Back on topic, since it appears that I am not in (no big deal, I'm in development myself and understand how that goes) - I will say I am looking forward to the release at the end of this month. I hope that the full catalog of Source games announced for Mac will be available at that time.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Woe is me! :D

I've been starting threads on this and other forums for year praising Steam and begging them to come to Mac. This is the best moment of my life and of course my Early 08 MBP would keep me from getting an invite! Dang 8600 GPUs ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If they've only just started doing invite-only OSX testing then I don't think we'll be seeing it that soon.
Of note I booted up Windows on my laptop earlier which still has the old Steam. Damn thing is horrible compared! Efficient, but ugly.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Valve has revealed that its Steam client is to receive a major user interface overhaul on April 26 - that's Monday.

"After two months in beta and over twenty updates, the Steam Client UI Update is slated to release to all Steam users this coming Monday, April 26," says Valve (via Shacknews).

Far from just a visual overhaul, the new Steam ditches its Internet Explorer-based core for new "WebKit-based rending engine" tech, and will support "syndicated feeds from top computer gaming sources".

Mac users will also finally be brought in on the action when Valve releases the Mac client before the end of April, bringing with it Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and the Half-Life series in all its glory.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=243546?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

And with the Mac being a tier 1 platform and all, it wouldn't surprise me if we did see Steam for Mac come out Monday.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Was hoping you meant Monday as in yesterday, but I realize you mean next Monday. Doesn't hurt to hope. ;)

Haha, but that wouldn't make much sense :p.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this beta was just to make sure the Source engine and Steam client run on all different types of Mac's over the world, so once they see there aren't any problems, they might release an open beta on Monday.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I cannot wait for this. Just got a new MBP and Steam/Portal/Etc is the perfect thing to flex its new i7 muscles.

I applied for the beta awhile back, here is hoping for an invite or just a general release very soon!!!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I cannot wait for this. Just got a new MBP and Steam/Portal/Etc is the perfect thing to flex its new i7 muscles.

I applied for the beta awhile back, here is hoping for an invite or just a general release very soon!!!

Heh, these games are from 2004-2007. It'd be like raising a limb for an i7 ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.