PDA

View Full Version : Hulu prepping Apple iPad app, sources say

*LTD*
Apr 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/01hulu.html

Hulu prepping Apple iPad app, sources say
Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Hulu, the popular and free online video hub, has some things to celebrate as it heads into its third year," Brian Stelter and Brad Stone report for The New York Times.

"The site, a venture of NBC Universal, the News Corporation and the Walt Disney Company, has been profitable for two quarters, Jason Kilar, Hulu’s chief executive, said in an interview on Monday," Stelter and Stone report. "Hulu has successfully brought online TV into the mainstream."

"And now it appears set to move beyond standard computer screens with an application for Apple’s iPad, four people briefed on its plans said," Stelter and Stone report. "People briefed on Hulu’s plan believe it may test the subscription approach with its iPad app. They could not say when such an application might be available."

Stelter and Stone report, "Mr. Kilar declined to talk about any future Hulu products, but he waxed enthusiastic about the coming wave of ultra-portable tablet computers like the iPad. 'Typically media consumption in the house was confined to the living room or home office,' he said. Tablets, he added, 'allow consumers to serendipitously discover and consume media in every room of the house.'"

barkomatic
Apr 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'm not excited about Hulu subscriptions. Essentially, all Hulu does is consolidate the *free* streaming TV from network and cable websites in one place. They have a few exclusives, but not enough for a subscription. I think the major networks will eventually have individual iPad apps like ABC soon so I'll pass on Hulu if I have to pay a monthly fee for it. I got rid of cable for a reason.

chstr
Apr 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
subscription=no sale

why pay for what you can get for free?

anthonymoody
Apr 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
subscription=no sale

Well the integration can be helpful, if truly integrated. And, if the subscriptions is ad-free then it might be attractive.

But agreed - if the primary offerings are otherwise identical and available for free, then why bother with a subscription?

BTW I'm still fecking PSYCHED for this.

DKatri
Apr 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
I'll wait for boxee's app.

Bodhi395
Apr 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'll pay for the Hulu app itself, a one time price like say 4.99, but I refuse to get a subscription, unless there are no ads in the videos and they greatly improve the library so you can watch full seasons of many shows.

No one likes subscriptions and I think if they don't do this right, it will fail.

jsbaugh
Apr 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
I dont mind the Ads on the ABC app and think Hulu should do it the same way.

drjsway
Apr 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
subscription=no sale

Networks get substantially more money from advertisers if you watch it on TV. If everyone stopped watching TV and switched to Hulu, none of the big budget shows you love will exist.

So the question is, would you rather pay a fee or be forced to watch 20 minutes of commercials every hour?

bgribin
Apr 20, 2010, 09:54 AM
It depends on what content is available for subscribers, but I'd pay a few bucks a month for Hulu on the iPad.

barkomatic
Apr 20, 2010, 09:57 AM
Networks get substantially more money from advertisers if you watch it on TV. If everyone stopped watching TV and switched to Hulu, none of the big budget shows you love will exist.

So the question is, would you rather pay a fee or be forced to watch 20 minutes of commercials every hour?

I wouldn't mind being forced to watch the same amount of commericals that appear on TV. I understand good shows cost money. The benefit for advertisers on the iPad is that inevitably, Apple will detect my browsing and buying activity to have me watch specific ads that match my interests. Likely, it will be ads for gadgets and bikes. lol

What I'm ticked off about is the prospect of being forced to watch ads *and* pay a subcription--like cable. Don't like that model at all.

drjsway
Apr 20, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'll pay for the Hulu app itself, a one time price like say 4.99, but I refuse to get a subscription, unless there are no ads in the videos and they greatly improve the library so you can watch full seasons of many shows.

No one likes subscriptions and I think if they don't do this right, it will fail.

They don't care if it fails. The networks' first priority is to get people to watch on TV. The brief ads on Hulu cannot support these big budget TV shows.

Hulu was created to deter people from downloading torrents. They make nowhere near as much money from Hulu viewers as live television viewers. But they realized that they would make no money at all if people downloaded torrents.

What incentive would they have to offer Hulu for free on a device that can't download torrents anyway? Not only that, with 3G models, the iPad is more convenient than TV. Instead of getting revenue from people that would otherwise pirate, they would now be losing real TV viewers, their real source of profit.

Eye4Desyn
Apr 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
tv shows + ads (like now) either free or $0.99 = i'm onboard, however, paid subscriptions = no thanks!

theBB
Apr 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'll wait until they hit DVDs, just like a few years ago before Hulu took off.

RawBert
Apr 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
We heard of this rumor I think in October '09 about an iPhone Hulu app. The source said it was gonna be "kick ass." Still waiting...

Roessnakhan
Apr 20, 2010, 10:30 AM
If its just Hulu on the iPad, ads and all, then I'm fine. Add a subscription and I don't get it - I'll just use Air Video + utorrent.

Sleazy E
Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
pay for something i can get for free? hmmm lemme think about that one and get back to you.

fishepa
Apr 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
paid subscription = no thanks

+1

ipadking
Apr 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would'nt mind paying $4.99 a month, if the Hulu apps has the ability to cache or download the shows, so that I can watch on an airplane. If I'm at home, I'll watch TV on my 65" LCD. On the road, 3g, would'nt have enough bandwidth. But if Hulu allows me to download the shows and watch them while traveling, I'll be glad to hand over my $4.99 per month.

drjsway
Apr 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
If its just Hulu on the iPad, ads and all, then I'm fine. Add a subscription and I don't get it - I'll just use Air Video + utorrent.

It astounds me how many people are willing to talk about doing illegal activities on a public internet forum.

mklnk
Apr 20, 2010, 10:45 AM
I would pay $8 per month for commercial free hulu on my ipad. No more.

Edit: I would pay hulu $15 a month for the ability to use it with ANY device I own (PS3).

Bodhi395
Apr 20, 2010, 10:48 AM
It astounds me how many people are willing to talk about doing illegal activities on a public internet forum.

Why are people always so shocked when someone mentions using torrents, like they just admitted they killed someone??

Isn't the use of torrents pretty much a mainstream thing nowadays?

Also, downloading a tv show that was aired for FREE on a broadcast network from a torrent doesn't seem like that bad a thing to me.

mj1108
Apr 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
Subscription = they can stuff it

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 10:51 AM

Meh, it's just television shows, most of which are delivered free over the air or on the company's own websites (or Hulu). It's not like people are blithely passing around serial keys for Adobe CS Master Suite or something.

Bryly
Apr 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
Now they wanna charge us? :(

Roessnakhan
Apr 20, 2010, 11:03 AM

Well you're implying, I never explicitly stated anything illegal. Unless you wanted to get into a debate that nothing can be transmitted legitimately over bittorrent.

mklnk
Apr 20, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hulu has been warning us about subscriptions for a long time.

The last article I read on it, they were thinking of a model where new episodes of network shows would be free to watch and ad supported, as they are now, and a subscription would grant access to archive episodes and complete runs of older favourites.

noah82
Apr 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
I can't wait for Hulu, but there is absolutely no way that I am paying a subscription.

drjsway
Apr 20, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well you're implying, I never explicitly stated anything illegal. Unless you wanted to get into a debate that nothing can be transmitted legitimately over bittorrent.

You are specifically talking about TV shows, not free content.

TV is not FREE. They are supported by ads. When you download a show, you are taking revenue away from the networks who spend a lot to produce your big budget shows.

It's no different than pirating movies and music. What you do is none of my concern but I think it's not smart to mention it in a public forum. You hear about that woman who was fined something like $2 million for having 24 pirated songs on her hard drive?

EDIT: here is the link http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

noah82
Apr 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
If Hulu went the subscription route, they should at least let you download the show to watch offline.

Eye4Desyn
Apr 20, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hulu has been warning us about subscriptions for a long time.

The last article I read on it, they were thinking of a model where new episodes of network shows would be free to watch and ad supported, as they are now, and a subscription would grant access to archive episodes and complete runs of older favourites.

If this model proves to be true then I for one will be on the free and ad supported side of said model.

zap2
Apr 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
I remember a while back there was talk of making hulu subscription for all content other then the last few shows(which would be free), and the idea was, more TV shows would be offered(and with more episodes).

If that's what it turns out to be, I'll gladly pay a netflix like price(and my account has seen a big jump in how much I stream due to the iPad app for it). If that isn't the case, I'll have to think a bit harder(or hopefully the price would be much lower)

EnderTW
Apr 20, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hulu should go subscription.

They just need to start adding archived. I want to be able to watch all seasons of the shows you have.

I'll pay 4.99 a month, and you can include the ads. If they just included all the episodes for whatever show you have.

IE: If I wanted to watch modern family from the beginning I could. Instead of the last 5 episodes.

I'd even pay .. 7.99 a month for something like this with ads.

Edit: There are so many cheap people on these forums. Hulu provides a great service, do you think everything should be handed to you for free? lol.. Jesus.

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
I don't object to a pay service, but I'm not going to pay for something in lower video quality than the HD digital cable I'm already paying for. That's the problem with the digital marketplace opening up so much--you can end up paying for the same content two or three times.

anthonymoody
Apr 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
I don't object to a pay service, but I'm not going to pay for something in lower video quality than the HD digital cable I'm already paying for. That's the problem with the digital marketplace opening up so much--you can end up paying for the same content two or three times.

It'll be interesting to see if the Comcast/Fios + HBO model is successful (however they'd define that...) and rolled out to additional cable co's and networks.

FunkyJunk
Apr 20, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'll pay exactly $0 for any subscription to Hulu. You can leave the ads in, or take them out. I don't care. But I'm not paying another d**n subscription. I have enough of those already. :mad:

flyguy206
Apr 20, 2010, 03:26 PM
You are specifically talking about TV shows, not free content.

TV is not FREE. They are supported by ads. When you download a show, you are taking revenue away from the networks who spend a lot to produce your big budget shows.

It's no different than pirating movies and music. What you do is none of my concern but I think it's not smart to mention it in a public forum. You hear about that woman who was fined something like $2 million for having 24 pirated songs on her hard drive?

EDIT: here is the link http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

Sorry but you are falling for newtwork bs. Why should we be forced to pay for something over and over again? That is crazy to me how they get away with ripping people off and then claim that people that pairate are wrong.

BobRichards
Apr 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
No chance of me getting hulu if there is a subscription involved. But if it is free, then that is another story.

iphone1105
Apr 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
I would'nt mind paying $4.99 a month, if the Hulu apps has the ability to cache or download the shows, so that I can watch on an airplane. If I'm at home, I'll watch TV on my 65" LCD. On the road, 3g, would'nt have enough bandwidth. But if Hulu allows me to download the shows and watch them while traveling, I'll be glad to hand over my $4.99 per month.

Yeah keep dreaming about this happening.....i hope this was a tad toungue/cheek. If not, oye!:p

Aranince
Apr 20, 2010, 03:54 PM
I would definitely pay a subscription for an iPad app(given no commercials) as long as it's reasonable. I'd say $5-10 a month is reasonable.

barkomatic
Apr 20, 2010, 04:00 PM

They just need to start adding archived. I want to be able to watch all seasons of the shows you have.

I'll pay 4.99 a month, and you can include the ads. If they just included all the episodes for whatever show you have.

IE: If I wanted to watch modern family from the beginning I could. Instead of the last 5 episodes.

Edit: There are so many cheap people on these forums. Hulu provides a great service, do you think everything should be handed to you for free? lol.. Jesus.

I hope you're joking -- but if not you're the sucker cow Hulu wants to milk. Network TV shows with ads you pay for? If they are broadcast with ads for people to watch for free why should we then be expected to pay for those same shows with ads?

EnderTW
Apr 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
How much do you pay for your cable service? Oh wait, those have ads all over TV.

Or how about magazines and newspapers, just because you pay a subscription does not mean you don't have Ads.

Hulu has a unique service. They offer recently aired programming unlike netflix. They also have TV shows and movies.

I think some of you bought the wrong device if you thought premium content would be available for free.

EnderTW
Apr 20, 2010, 04:04 PM
I hope you're joking -- but if not you're the sucker cow Hulu wants to milk. Network TV shows with ads you pay for? If they are broadcast with ads for people to watch for free why should we then be expected to pay for those same shows with ads?

Really? So the cable you pay for to access content like MTV and such, should be ad free?

Lol, Do you think money grows on trees? People need to get paid. I guess a bunch of liberal hippies think that everything should be free. I think the iPad app will flourish with a subscription model. Vote with your wallet.

Lara F
Apr 20, 2010, 04:11 PM

Because $8 per month still beats paying iTunes season passes. It's impossible to jump into TV shows when all you get is the last 5 episodes so opening up the archives would be a huge deal. I'll be able to watch the Lost series finale live and that alone would have been worth the cost.

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 05:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Comcast/Fios + HBO model is successful (however they'd define that...) and rolled out to additional cable co's and networks.

I'm not sure what this is package is, but I may be blinded over my deep bitterness at not having any "fiber to the premises" option here. :)

ClaireL
Apr 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
If the subscription is cheap enough, heck I wouldn't mind paying because I have loads of TV shows in my queue. If need be, I will not pay every month for Hulu simple as that. If the sub price is right IMO, I will try it out for a month, I can always cancel. No biggie.

jaw04005
Apr 20, 2010, 05:58 PM
If they charge something similar to what Pandora charges for their premium service, I would be fine with that.

OGDaniel
Apr 20, 2010, 06:17 PM
I think if you have money to spare then just the fact that the netflix app is incredible is reason enough to get it. But if hulu had its own app and it worked very well, then the combination of those two would make it a definite buy for anyone. I only wish AT&T had 3G where I live...

supermanx
Apr 20, 2010, 06:20 PM

Why? There are whole public forums dedicated to illegal activities.

alia
Apr 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
Really? So the cable you pay for to access content like MTV and such, should be ad free?

Lol, Do you think money grows on trees? People need to get paid. I guess a bunch of liberal hippies think that everything should be free. I think the iPad app will flourish with a subscription model. Vote with your wallet.

Don't make this about liberals versus conservatives. I know plenty of liberals who would pay a reasonable amount for a good service, and I know plenty of cheap, penny-pinching conservatives. The point is whether or not the service is valuable and worth paying for. To that end, I agree that people vote with their wallets. If they don't think that the service is valuable, they won't buy it, and if they do, they will. End of discussion. As for me, I would totally pay for a Hulu app that allowed archival access to TV shows and streaming of new episodes for a reasonable amount of money, because I agree that the people who make the shows deserve to get paid, and I don't mind paying for the convenience of consuming media the way I want. That said, if someone's going to be cheap, then they can stick to watching network programming via an antenna the way my brother chooses to. If people want free Hulu, they will just have to watch it on their computers. The company has the right to distribute its content any way it chooses.

drjsway
Apr 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry but you are falling for newtwork bs. Why should we be forced to pay for something over and over again? That is crazy to me how they get away with ripping people off and then claim that people that pairate are wrong.

TV shows are supported by ads. By downloading torrents, you are skipping the ads, and stealing the show. It is illegal. It is not network BS. It is not an opinion whether it's right or wrong. It's the law.

Some shows cost $5-$6 million an episode and you think you have the right to download it for free? Every week, a group of writers, directors, actors, and a whole crew put on a show to entertain you and you think they are ripping you off by asking you to pay for it? The nerve.

zap2
Apr 20, 2010, 10:08 PM

No reason to turn to personal attacks...the issue here is profit for hulu, since they have been turning on recently, it would make sense their current business model is working.

However expanding to a subscription model makes sense too(charge a fee like netflix), but I'm not going to pay them along with ads, when they can pull a profit from just ads.

rtay
Apr 20, 2010, 10:18 PM
its not that there are ads and they are making you pay, its that i have already paid for this content several times and dont want to again. why cant this be apart of my #70 cable bill?

flyguy206
Apr 21, 2010, 01:04 AM
TV shows are supported by ads. By downloading torrents, you are skipping the ads, and stealing the show. It is illegal. It is not network BS. It is not an opinion whether it's right or wrong. It's the law.

Some shows cost $5-$6 million an episode and you think you have the right to download it for free? Every week, a group of writers, directors, actors, and a whole crew put on a show to entertain you and you think they are ripping you off by asking you to pay for it? The nerve.

So you are ok with hulu charging us for network tv.

Kingcodez
Apr 21, 2010, 01:28 AM
I don't care if hulu charges or not, it's cheaper than the monthly cable bill, and hopefully with charging, they will add more content and archived shows.

drjsway
Apr 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
So you are ok with hulu charging us for network tv.

iTunes charges you for network TV. If you want to watch it for free, turn on the TV or use Hulu on your laptop

They are not entitled to offer it on the iPad. If you don't want to subscribe, then don't.

BTW, if you had read my post, you'd know that the only reason why Hulu is available at all is to deter piracy, even though it's far less profitable than viewers watching on TV. They have no incentive to offer it for free on a device that can't download pirated shows in the first place.

drjsway
Apr 21, 2010, 01:35 AM
its not that there are ads and they are making you pay, its that i have already paid for this content several times and dont want to again. why cant this be apart of my #70 cable bill?

Because your cable bill goes to your cable company, not the networks.

SchneiderMan
Apr 21, 2010, 01:37 AM
If this happens my iPad will be complete

The Mad Hatter
Apr 21, 2010, 05:07 AM
Because your cable bill goes to your cable company, not the networks.

...and part of that money goes to the networks. Cable/Satellite Cos. have to pay the networks in order to have their service. They negotiate a fee, and the saving are passed on to the subscribers.

As for wether torrents are piracy when it comes to TV shows. Well that's a gray area. Those big budget shows/networks get their money from ads and licensing fees initially. They get paid wether you watch the ads or not. Where piracy comes into play is in the after-market (or DVD/BR sales.) When you are downloading a torrent, you aren't buying a DVD. That's where the piracy is. However, what if you recorded a show on VHS, DVD-R, etc. for later viewings. Piracy? again, a gray area. It's all a matter of perspective.

All I know is that I'm tired of paying lot for cable, and the only things that are watched are kid shows (and football, when it's in season.) ;)

Just my 2˘

Eye4Desyn
Apr 21, 2010, 05:53 AM

I can understand where you're coming from regarding the perceived "cheaping out". I do know there is other technology around the corner that would not add on more $$ for the content that I am already paying for. Case in point: ATT U-verse. They (ATT) are currently in the works to having an iPhone/iPad app http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/atandt-u-verse-mobile-getting-upgraded-download-your-recordings-o/ that would allow current subscribers to stream DVR recorded shows (i.e. full season of Modern Family or other shows) via Wi-Fi to their devices at no extra cost. I'm currently an ATT U-verse subscriber and to me this is a value add to the service I'm already paying for. True, not eveyone has U-Verse with a DVR. However, a subscription based Hulu like the one you describe would be an excellent alternative. NTL, I just wanted to clarify/justify why I wouldn't want to pay for this.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 06:04 AM

Yes, of course it should. It's already quality-free though, so I don't care.

ashVID
Apr 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
Wow, massive ignorance and so much to address. First off, some shows (granted only a handful) actually make MORE money thru hulu.com than thru TV (Simpsons, Family Guy, a few others). Second, why is the outrage over a pay model not directed toward Apple? It was solely and exclusively their decision not to include flash. Was it a processor/battery decision? Maybe. But maybe it was a "we want to sell episodes thru iTunes" not give them away thru flash sites like hulu. Why is nobody yelling at Apple for selling "free" TV shows?

Since hulu is not iPad ready, it has to be re-worked, that is not free. They also need a different advertising model based on portable devices. I highly doubt the time on site is going to be near what it is on the main site and the ads will likely not monetize the same way. Hence, there is a much greater cost to deliver the content. Look at Apple's new iAd, that is the future of mobile advertising.

Lastly, nobody is making you use hulu thru your iPad/iPhone. It's a convenience. That is what you are paying for. You are free to record it on your DVR, rip it to your computer, compress it for your mobile device and sync it thru iTunes at no additional cost to yourself. THAT is what you are paying for, you are not paying to watch "free" TV. You are paying for the delivery method, ease of use and ultimately convenience.

Let's imagine the entire universe of hulu is available on iPad, what is that worth? To some, nothing. To others, it might be $20 a month. I would probably be OK with $10 even with ad support. It's funny how fickle we get after we get something for free. A single DVD is $15-$20, heck, downloading most movies is still $10.

It's all relative people. Imagine that DVDs were free for the next year, then, they started charging for them again. Some people would be OUTRAGED even if the charge was $3 per title.

ash =o)

noah82
Apr 21, 2010, 11:16 AM
That is a good point...Apple should take some of the blame for this.

drjsway
Apr 21, 2010, 01:58 PM
...and part of that money goes to the networks. Cable/Satellite Cos. have to pay the networks in order to have their service. They negotiate a fee, and the saving are passed on to the subscribers.

Broadcast networks typically do not get a fee from the cable company. That may be changing, though most affiliates still don't.

As for wether torrents are piracy when it comes to TV shows. Well that's a gray area. Those big budget shows/networks get their money from ads and licensing fees initially. They get paid wether you watch the ads or not.

If you are not a TV viewer, their ratings go down and their advertising rates go down. Look at Heroes. One if the most pirated shows of the year yet it will be cancelled because it has only 4 million live viewers.

Wow, massive ignorance and so much to address. First off, some shows (granted only a handful) actually make MORE money thru hulu.com than thru TV (Simpsons, Family Guy, a few others).

This is false. Simpsons (and a few others) charges more per ad on Hulu than on TV but they make far more money on TV simply because there are more ads per episode than Hulu.

Second, why is the outrage over a pay model not directed toward Apple? It was solely and exclusively their decision not to include flash

This is also false. Hulu has blocked access to all mobile devices with flash support and if the iPad had flash, it would be blocked as well.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 02:31 PM
If you are not a TV viewer, their ratings go down and their advertising rates go down. Look at Heroes. One if the most pirated shows of the year yet it will be cancelled because it has only 4 million live viewers.

Yeah, but let's be fair: other shows that suck less get huge ratings AND huge amounts of pirating (see: House). Heroes earned that cancellation.

You're also making a false leap about the average downloader and ratings. The Nielsen ratings (from which all tv ratings are derived) come from a tiny fraction of U.S. households--most people reading this thread will never personally have ANY influence on television ratings, for good or ill. And when you're a real Nielsen household they are very hardcore about it--they install monitoring equipment on your televisions and everything. Why would anyone go along with this if they didn't actually watch conventional television?

Don't get me wrong, I've had more than one show I love go down in flames because of low ratings, but good shows were getting cancelled due to poor ratings way before it could be blamed on downloading.

drjsway
Apr 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah, but let's be fair: other shows that suck less get huge ratings AND huge amounts of pirating (see: House). Heroes earned that cancellation.

You're also making a false leap about the average downloader and ratings. The Nielsen ratings (from which all tv ratings are derived) come from a tiny fraction of U.S. households--most people reading this thread will never personally have ANY influence on television ratings, for good or ill. And when you're a real Nielsen household they are very hardcore about it--they install monitoring equipment on your televisions and everything. Why would anyone go along with this if they didn't actually watch conventional television?

Don't get me wrong, I've had more than one show I love go down in flames because of low ratings, but good shows were getting cancelled due to poor ratings way before it could be blamed on downloading.

I agree Heroes sucked this year but that's irrelevant. According to this (http://www.tvscoop.tv/2010/01/heroes_most_pir.html), Heroes was the most pirated show of 2009 and doesn't even compare to the piracy rates of House.

The most pirated show is also one of the lowest rated shows on network television. Are you telling me there is no correlation at all?

/dev/toaster
Apr 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
I will pay a few bucks for the app it self, but no way in hell am I going to pay a subscription unless its *really* cheap like $4 a month.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 03:00 PM
The most pirated show is also one of the lowest rated shows on network television. Are you telling me there is no correlation at all?

If there's a correlation, it's something like "scifi viewers are more likely to download" or "the crappy season meant people were watching something else live in the same timeslot and downloaded it later". Otherwise, other commonly downloaded shows would be taking a ratings nosedive too. You need more way data points if you're going to try to sell this one. Pretty sure the Heroes ratings started freefalling a long time ago.

calsci
Apr 21, 2010, 03:20 PM
I seriously hope this is true. i can't wait for this. This would probably be as popular as the netflix app

barkomatic
Apr 21, 2010, 03:21 PM

In fact, I don't pay cable to watch ads since I don't have cable at all. I watch free, broadcast TV with commercials. I don't mind commercials on free TV because its ad supported entertainment.

How come when I watch a show with commericals on broadcast TV its perfectly acceptable to you but the prospect of watching a show for free with just as many commercials on a portable device is offensive and cheap?

I, and many others *will* vote with our wallets and I never suggested anything else. I really don't think most people will support a Hulu subscription service that includes commercial content. Especially since individual networks are likely to undermine this model by creating their own free ipad applications.

The part where you accuse me of being a liberal who thinks money "grows on trees" really cracks me up. Good joke.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
Second, why is the outrage over a pay model not directed toward Apple? It was solely and exclusively their decision not to include flash. Was it a processor/battery decision? Maybe. But maybe it was a "we want to sell episodes thru iTunes" not give them away thru flash sites like hulu. Why is nobody yelling at Apple for selling "free" TV shows?

How would you explain the free ABC app being available at launch? Apple makes its money on hardware; if it gets more people to buy iPads, they are happy.

The 'solely and exclusively' bit is false as well I'm afraid.

drjsway
Apr 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
How come when I watch a show with commericals on broadcast TV its perfectly acceptable to you but the prospect of watching a show for free with just as many commercials on a portable device is offensive and cheap?

Just as many commercials? Not enough close. Hulu has 2-3 minutes of commercials per hour. An hour long show on television has 18-20 minutes.

And the whole Apple argument is ridiculous. HULU BLOCKS ALL MOBILE DEVICES, REGARDLESS OF FLASH.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
Just as many commercials? Not enough close. Hulu has 2-3 minutes of commercials per hour. An hour long show on television has 18-20 minutes.

Yeah but the broadcast ones simply get fast forwarded through. I pity anyone who actually watches commercials nowadays: welcome to the 21st century, people. :p

barkomatic
Apr 21, 2010, 03:34 PM

And the whole Apple argument is ridiculous. HULU BLOCKS ALL MOBILE DEVICES, REGARDLESS OF FLASH.

You may have missed an earlier post of mine where I stated that I would be willing to sit through 18-20 minutes of commercials if playing on a Hulu iPad application. Commercials are no big deal to me if I get something in return.

dagomike
Apr 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
It will be interesting to see what the paid version offers. If they expect people to pay just because it's an iPad, then no. If they offer a complete library of new and old shows, then yeah there may be something there.

otis123
Apr 21, 2010, 03:57 PM
I don't want a subscription, I will watch the ads, but I want the hulu app yesterday.

alansmallen
Apr 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
tv shows + ads (like now) either free or $0.99 = i'm onboard, however, paid subscriptions = no thanks!

Really?? So let's say you watch 5 shows at one episode a week at 99 cents an episode is about 20 a month. I personally watch more thann5 and wouldn't mind paying 15 a month for it on the iPad

Eye4Desyn
Apr 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
Really?? So let's say you watch 5 shows at one episode a week at 99 cents an episode is about 20 a month. I personally watch more thann5 and wouldn't mind paying 15 a month for it on the iPad

Hmmm...I think you misunderstood. Did you read my post #59 on page 3 of this thread??? It will explain clearly why I'm not in favor of paid subscription model for Hulu. Let me respond to this first and I'll send you to that post hereafter. What I meant was either free or a one time cost of $0.99 for the Hulu app itself modeled just like its flash-based counterpart for the desktop. If the app itself is free and there is an "in-app purchase" for a subscription that is ad-supported then there's NO-WAY-IN-HELL I'd want it. You can now proceed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901061&page=3

darngooddesign
Apr 21, 2010, 05:30 PM
... On the road, 3g, would'nt have enough bandwidth...

I disagree.

I've watched Hulu on my MBP tethered to my iPhone. The 3G iPad will be able to handle it.

Vic-Viper
Apr 21, 2010, 05:31 PM
They don't care if it fails. The networks' first priority is to get people to watch on TV. The brief ads on Hulu cannot support these big budget TV shows.

Hulu was created to deter people from downloading torrents. They make nowhere near as much money from Hulu viewers as live television viewers. But they realized that they would make no money at all if people downloaded torrents.

What incentive would they have to offer Hulu for free on a device that can't download torrents anyway? Not only that, with 3G models, the iPad is more convenient than TV. Instead of getting revenue from people that would otherwise pirate, they would now be losing real TV viewers, their real source of profit.

By your logic, people will return to torrenting. Giving people what they want is always good business.

The Mad Hatter
Apr 21, 2010, 07:27 PM

Well, since I'm not a member of the Nielsen family (and haven't been one since the '70s) networks have no idea what I'm watching (however, that may change in the future!) ;)

CrAkD
Apr 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
nuts to that. hulu is supposed to be FREE. maybe like up to $5 for the actual app but if they think people are pay monthly for that crap their nuts. charge for the app to cover development costs and then rake in the $ from all the advertising of the 50m+ new devices are seeing these ads on iphone, ipad,itouch

From A Buick 8
Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 PM
Flash forward a few months, have folks subscribed to Hulu plus. I am currently trying the 1 week free trial and so far I like.

Do any of think it will ever get airplay so we can send the video to an appletv

anthonymoody
Jan 2, 2011, 11:43 PM
I am a cord cutter (I.e. Cancelled cable) and full time ipad user, so i subscribed to hulu+ and use it happily both on my PS3 as well as on the iPad. To be honest I use it way more on the PS3 (hooked to my home theater) but it is nice to have on the iPad, especially while on the road.

From A Buick 8
Jan 3, 2011, 06:48 AM
We picked up two of the apple tv's back in October and shortly after we also canceled cable. Playing the hulu+app on my new iPad and if we could use airplay to send hulu to the ATV then I would sign up for the whole year.