Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMasterWeb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
This, like I said, is my first hand-coded site. No iWeb, or Wordpress for that matter. Just me (and the kind kind people on forums and message board :D)

So, what do you think?
http://designdeluge.com

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do RSS feeds... other than that, how do you like the design, the speed, the usability, etc. Any help is appreciated!

Jefe

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2002
tip.. save your logo as a .gif or a .png. .jpg is not going to get you the color matching that I assume you want with the gray background.

A nice .png with alpha channel would do the trick. ;)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
  1. Make sure to hit up the HTML validator. There's a few simple issues there.
  2. Your headings lack semantics, you skip h1 and h2 and go straight to h3, then do some h2 tags in the sidebar.
  3. Font size in side bar is rather large, especially considering it's larger than the main content, unless you feel your sidebar is more important.
  4. The header is takes up a lot of vertical space, which just keeps visitors from getting to your content. Consider downsizing.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Side note on the design: I thought that the BG didn't load because of that gray background. Heh. Maybe needs some more separation.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Side note on the design: I thought that the BG didn't load because of that gray background. Heh. Maybe needs some more separation.

Yea, I thought it was because of my NoScript add-on at first, but then realized it wasn't. Grey is not bad, but it did feel a little out of place, and here are two people who thought something was wrong on the page because of the color.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Good start!

People don't seem to realise that creating a website is more difficult than throwing things together with some cheap software.

The colours are good - few colours, nice ones.

Borders are OK. 1 pixel is very good. Playing with pixel in header is nice (although, it's 1 pixel off, I think). The green overlap edge is intentional, isn't it?

Logo: you'll really have to try to make it smaller, thinner and more creative. That is the bit that pulls your site down the most. Vector graphics is a very good idea (png is better as a format than jpg too), but that logo-thing just doesn't cut it.

White space - not bad as a start, but you have to respect white space more. More margins, bigger ones... that sort of thing. Get inspiration from typography sites! The sidebar and the Archive page looks pretty good, but you might experiment with fonts, size and colours there.

Code: looks neat and tidy. Headers might be inconsistent.
(will cont. in a minute...)

Edit:

You could make the bottom edges go to the same level.

Fonts: basic ones are fine for certain tasks, but if you mix, mix ones that are similar in style. You may use small graphics for navigation, if you can. Just don't go mad on reliance on graphic element! You may also use headings more often.

Positive approach in text is good. I like its cute charm, it makes a very good impression. I haven't read it all, because it is difficult to read. You have Smashing as a sidebar link, take ideas! Easy on the hate list! Something short, brief and passionate/interesting within reason is better.

Content can be structured better. Long text can be boring, regardless of actual content. You may collect some ideas from minimalist websites. Try various layouts and colours. The comments page needs smaller elements.

Great RSS icon!

So, it's a good start. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.