Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I installed XP a while ago and the VMWare Fusion image file was just over 2GB.

I've only installed a couple of tiny programs and I save all data to my mac folders, yet the file size has increased to over 8.5GB.

In Windows, if I select all the folders inside the C: drive and view properties, it says just as expected just over 2GB, but if I view properties of the C: drive it says over 5GB.

What's happening and where's this missing space going?!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Settings > Hard Disks

12-vmware-fusion-guest-settings-disk.png

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
My hard disk size is set at 40GB - I can't make it smaller.

Isn't this just the maximum size the disk can be?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
If the behaviour is the same as a standard XP install, it could be the virtual memory swap file or hibernation file.

On my GF's XP, since upgrading her to 2GB of RAM, XP insists on having a 2GB hibernation file. If you turn hibernation off, then it doesn't create the file.

In a windows folder, click on the "Tools" menu, select ""Folder options" and then click on the "View" tab.

Select "Show hidden files and folders" and deselect "Hide protected system files". Click OK when prompted and then close the "Folder Options" window. Then look in the root directory for pagefile.sys (the virtual memory file) and hiberfil.sys (the hibernation file).

You can't delete them normally, but there are ways to do so. You can change the setting back to hide protected system files (which I'd recommend).

Is that where it's gone?
________
Ford Shelby GR-1 picture

Last edited:

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Hibernation is turned off and there's no hibernation file.

Just defragged C: and it's increased again - it's now over 10GB!

DFTU101

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
If you are taking "snapshots" of the VM file, this will quickly increase your overall VM file size. I did this every so often and eventually had 10 old "snapshots". If this is what is happening, just go in and delete all the old snapshots and just keep one as backup. Each "snapshot" takes about 2-3 Gb.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
The additional space was from System Restore.

Deleted these points and I'm back to my 2GBs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.