Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
Hey, Im looking to buy a new Mac and im stuck between the Quad core 2.66GHz Mac Pro, Or the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 iMac.

It seems off the mark that the iMac could be better value for money but i know that the Mac Pro is more upgradable in the future.

What do you guys think?

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
Well i do perform Photo editing on my current imac which is a little lame. That and World of Warcraft are about the 2 most intence uses.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, buddeh, give us the rundown of your day-to-day tasks.

Photo editing? Can you be a weency bit more specific?

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
Forgot to mention that im using CS4 for the Photoediting. - And i also do play a couple of matches of COD MW2

They are 12Mp RAW's

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
In that case, the Core-i iMacs would suit you just swell, it's now just a question of whether you want to go i5 or i7.

The hard drive and memory can be upgraded in an iMac. The only thing that can be so easily upgraded in the Mac Pro but NOT the iMac is the graphics card.

The iMac is a better value by far.

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
And thats whats bugging me. In the future, with the pro i can upgrade the graphics card which i cant in the Mac.... Its frustrating trying to weigh up the odds. Would there be a performance increase in the imac over the mac pro?

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
Well i do perform Photo editing on my current imac which is a little lame. That and World of Warcraft are about the 2 most intence uses.

I think you need a MacBook Pro at the most. A Mac Pro just seems like overkill. Remember, a Mac Pro is considered a professional workstation. If you were doing video editing with some intense rendering, then I would consider a Mac Pro.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
The Mac Pros are the most powerful Macs on the market. However, I wouldn't be worried about the iMac at all, it's pretty substantial.

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
World of Warcraft isn't really that intense. I have the new iMac 21.5" with ATI card, and I run it 1920x1080 with graphics set to ultra, and have a dizzying smooth frame rate. (outside of major towns)

If you're considering a Mac Pro, I think they are going to be "refreshed" soon, so maybe wait for that before making a decision. Though, the Mac Pro sounds like overkill for what you described. Personally, I'd go with the 27" iMac. I'm currently waiting for the Mac Pro refresh.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
As things currently stand, it seems like the only hold Mac Pros have over the iMacs is multiple internal HDDs. I could be missing something, though.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
As things currently stand, it seems like the only hold Mac Pros have over the iMacs is multiple internal HDDs. I could be missing something, though.
Expandability, which translates into HDD's/SSD's, RAID, memory capacity beyond what can be placed in the iMacs, and of course PCIe cards (particularly graphics).

It's hard to determine in some cases which is the better choice sometimes though.

But for the cost difference between the i7 iMac and the base Quad MP, it might be worth it for some, as it can extend the life of the system, and more importantly, allow tasks to be completed faster. Which is especially important if the system is used to earn a living.

blinkfrog

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
pros&cons (just replace dell with mac pro in mind):
(http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9531/macvsdellfz5.jpg)
macvsdellfz5.jpg

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
You know, I laugh every time somebody pretends that's a valid point.

You have to do the same if your LAPTOP has a problem too! Effing morons!

Windows people can be so ignorant.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
You know, I laugh every time somebody pretends that's a valid point.

You have to do the same if your LAPTOP has a problem too! Effing morons!

It is a valid point. The fact that laptops have the same problem as iMacs
in this regard, does not make it invalid.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
No, but they like to pretend and forget that the iMac is not the only machine with such an issue.

What if your monitor busts and you don't have another? Oops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.