Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walt227

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I'm a windows admin that made the switch---my first i7 MBP arrived today---I just created a partition with bootcamp, loaded win7 and bam---no more osx.

The only thing i was unsure of during the win7 install was having to format the 25gb partition i created---7 would not install on the "BOOTCAMP" partion without doing so.

:confused::mad::confused:

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
Concerning formatting:

When you use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, it uses FAT32* format. AFAIK newer versions of Windows will not install on FAT32. They have to reformat to NTFS before installing.

Concerning booting back into OS X:

Assuming that you did install Windows correctly onto the partition labeled BOOTCAMP, then OS X is still there. While in Windows, open the Boot Camp Control Panel (you did install the Boot camp drivers from the OS X DVD, right?) by clicking on the grey diamond in the system tray. On one of the tabs there is a setting for start-up disk. Likewise, there is a similar setting in System Preferences under OS X. I believe that either of these settings should change the default operating system (I've never actually changed mine from the OS X default).

You can also choose which operating system to run when you start up the computer. Hold down the Option (Alt) key just after the start-up chime. After a couple of seconds, hard disk icons for OS X and Windows will appear. Choose the one you want to boot to. This selection is temporary (unlike the start-up disk settings in the previous paragraph), so it will not change the default operating system.

I hope that helps.

*FAT32 needs to die a fiery death, along with other dinosaur technologies (such as interlaced video). /rant

walt227

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Concerning formatting:

When you use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, it uses FAT32* format. AFAIK newer versions of Windows will not install on FAT32. They have to reformat to NTFS before installing.

Concerning booting back into OS X:

Assuming that you did install Windows correctly onto the partition labeled BOOTCAMP, then OS X is still there. While in Windows, open the Boot Camp Control Panel (you did install the Boot camp drivers from the OS X DVD, right?) by clicking on the grey diamond in the system tray. On one of the tabs there is a setting for start-up disk. Likewise, there is a similar setting in System Preferences under OS X. I believe that either of these settings should change the default operating system (I've never actually changed mine from the OS X default).

You can also choose which operating system to run when you start up the computer. Hold down the Option (Alt) key just after the start-up chime. After a couple of seconds, hard disk icons for OS X and Windows will appear. Choose the one you want to boot to. This selection is temporary (unlike the start-up disk settings in the previous paragraph), so it will not change the default operating system.

I hope that helps.

*FAT32 needs to die a fiery death, along with other dinosaur technologies (such as interlaced video). /rant

Figured it out before I had a meltdown, but thanks---you are right on the money. I had to reformat the BOOTCAMP partition before loading Win 7. My issue was the bootcamp util had set Windows to the default OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.