Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixesmixes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am going through the documentation for generating certificates, UDIDs, and provisioning files so I can run apps on my iPhone. In the documentation it states,
"Installing Pre-release versions of iPhone OS
To run your code on an Apple device, you will need to install iPhone OS onto each development device and "restore" each device to a development state. Note: Once a pre-release version of iPhone OS is installed on the device you cannot restore the device to an earlier version of iPhone OS. The device may only be used for development and testing purposes until that version of iPhone OS is publicly released. Please DO NOT install the iPhone OS before registering device UDIDs, as installation on non-registered devices will render them inoperable. The public release version of iPhone OS should be installed using iTunes."

Should I be concerned about setting up development on my personal iPhone? It says that installing UDID on an existing OS can render it inoperable??? Is this verbiage only for prerelease versions of the OS? I am not clear on this. My basic question is can I set up my personal iPhone for testing and running the application I am developing? If yes are their special steps to take to insure that my phone continues to work properly for my personal use?

Thank you!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes. Don't install pre-release (aka beta) OSes on your iPhone.

Unless your development iPhone is not your primary iPhone. Serious developers often have multiple development devices.

If the OP really wants to test his apps on an iPhone he might want to consider buying another one (a beat-up scratched used one works just fine for testing).

nixesmixes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Unless your development iPhone is not your primary iPhone. Serious developers often have multiple development devices.

If the OP really wants to test his apps on an iPhone he might want to consider buying another one (a beat-up scratched used one works just fine for testing).

I am a grad student (and broke) so this is not for commercial purposes...but point well taken. I will see how cheaply I can pick up an old iPhone...but if I cannot pick one up within my budget it sounds like their is no special steps to take when preparing my personal phone for testing my app? My phone already has OS 3.0 installed on it so it appears I can just go ahead and prepare the device for installing and testing apps?

Thank you!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If your app doesn't need features that exist only in the iPhone hardware, then an iPod touch (used or new) is another option.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
If you just want to develop for current release firmware use your personal one - I do no issues whatsoever

However, if I were to target OS4 then I'd have to install the beta of OS4, which is a little flaky so would be happier with another device(or ipod)

And dispite what Apples documentation says you can downgrade back to release firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.