Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
hey guys.

well been looking around ebay and found a few workstations and servers with the xeon chipsets

few nice hp proliant dl360 G4p.

just wondering what would be the minimum processer i can use before osx tells me to go away? when installing a hackintosh onto it.

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
iv found a xserve in my local newspaper

on geekbench its rated around the 6000 mark a early 2008 model 4gig ram 1tb hdd 2.8ghz quad

would this survice for the converting of files a file server (replace my G5's role)

its £1000

should i buy it its brand new never used

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
iv found a xserve in my local newspaper

on geekbench its rated around the 6000 mark a early 2008 model 4gig ram 1tb hdd 2.8ghz quad

would this survice for the converting of files a file server (replace my G5's role)

its £1000

should i buy it its brand new never used

For 1000 quid I'd directly buy it, even if I wouldn't have a use for that thing. That's a real bargain!

What files are you intending to convert?

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
their mostly video files. iv resently bought a new sony tv that can show video files directly (but annoyingly only mp2 files) my macbook pro 1stgen unibody takes 8 - 10 hrs to do one file my powermac g5 1.8duel pro takes 24+ (stopped it after 24 wanted to sleep) i have a massive massive video collection

it will eventually take over the g5s role as webserver + fileserver for my house (i live with 9 other people who use my videos from my collection)

and as well as that if ican get it in a 1u rack discos Vdj

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'd warn you that Xserves are incredibly noisy - they aren't designed for "silent running" like the Mac Pros (or to an extent the PowerMac G5s), but for data centres where noise comes a distant second to heat. Basically, an Xserve sounds like a jet engine the entire time it's on.

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
im used to loud thingys. used to own a sun nutra 2e had 6 fans that made a really really loud noise i plan on getting a slient rack for it. and most likely my powermac g5 and powermac g4. could do with a decent xgrid for a change with out wires trawling everywhere

my g5 is really loud usually its to tell me to stop pestering it while its doing somthing. its as if it knows.........

sorry for my bad english this stupid mac keyboard is for some reason really stiff (sticky) :(

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
im used to loud thingys. used to own a sun nutra 2e had 6 fans that made a really really loud noise i plan on getting a slient rack for it. and most likely my powermac g5 and powermac g4. could do with a decent xgrid for a change with out wires trawling everywhere

my g5 is really loud usually its to tell me to stop pestering it while its doing somthing. its as if it knows.........

sorry for my bad english this stupid mac keyboard is for some reason really stiff (sticky) :(

No seriously, an Xserve will make your G5 sound like the quietest thing in the world. Silent racks will do pretty much nothing either - we've got a pair of Xserves and an Xserve RAID in the office in a "silent" rack, and as soon as you open the acoustically-sealed door to the room they're in you can hear them really well. I know people using Mac Pros as servers instead, as they're a lot quieter and less intrusive in a production environment.

A grand is a good price, but you will get pissed off with the noise over time.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I can support peskaas statements on this. Unless you have a really good rack for the xServe, or better a spare room for your servers, don't buy it.

It really is loud. Incredible loud. Especially when the CPU hits 100% load.
Absolutely not comparable with a G5 or G4. The xServe you're talking about should be the 2008 model, which has a battery of 14 very small fans that is used to cool the whole motherboard and those fans make a lot of noise.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
No seriously, an Xserve will make your G5 sound like the quietest thing in the world. Silent racks will do pretty much nothing either - we've got a pair of Xserves and an Xserve RAID in the office in a "silent" rack, and as soon as you open the acoustically-sealed door to the room they're in you can hear them really well. I know people using Mac Pros as servers instead, as they're a lot quieter and less intrusive in a production environment.

A grand is a good price, but you will get pissed off with the noise over time.
Pretty much any rackmount case is loud, especially the XServe's size (1U), especially when not used with the L series of Xeon Intel processors.

The larger cases can be quieter (not stuffed full of drives, and perhaps a fan swap or two), but it's not the same as a well designed pedestal version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.