Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UFAndrew11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I know similar topics getting beaten down like a dead horse, but I've been debating for about a month and I NEEDED advice.

My PC is basically dead from the TDSS virus and I'm using it as an excuse to switch over to Mac. Here are my needs and here are the options I've been looking at. Of course budget is a concern, so I'm trying not to go crazy.

I do plan on doing some video editing and graphics work (FCP, Premiere, After Effects and maybe Flash). None of this would be too system-intensive, nor would it be a full-time post-production machine, but I do need reliable performance and, to a degree, some element of "future proofing" so my computer doesn't become irrelevant in 2 years. I am not a gamer, but aside from the part-time editing and graphics, I'd be using it for typical word processing, movie watching, and internet surfing. I want my computer to last a good 4-6 years.

I'm considering refurbished:
-21.5" Core 2 Duo iMac with a 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 w/ 256ram ($1299)
-27" i5 quad-core, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon 4850 w/ 512ram ($1699)

I'm not sure if I should wait for the new iMac line (though I hear it could either be touchscreen or i5/i7 chipsets), or would Core 2 Duo hold its own for 4-6 years, even with it kind of being phased out?

What are everyone's thoughts? At some point, I would likely try to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, but just want to get acclimated to system first.

Thanks so much to everyone responding. Sorry for the long post.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Definitely get the i5. It's twice as fast and you get amazing 27" screen which is very nice for video editing. You also want it to last for long time and i5 will be a lot more "future-proof".

21.5" may get i3/i5 with next update but they will be dual core (Clarkdale) while current high-end uses quad cores (Lynnfield).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.