Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Hi
I'm from Turkey. Mac's are ridiculously expensive here, so I'm going to make a friend get one for me from the fifth avenue store at NY. My question is, Is there any sales tax added to the apple online store prices or apple subsidizes the difference? I couldn't find any information about this on the net. my macbook pro costs $2400 (antiglare hi-res, 7200rpm hdd), if there is tax added? anyone have an idea how much it would be? I also hope that my BTO model to be available at fifth, but if it's not there, I guess it's not going to be at anywhere else..

Thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes, there is sales tax on everything. Sales tax in NYC is 8.875%. Plan on your $2400 Mac to cost you $2613.

andrew086

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
I would never walk out of an Apple store in NYC with a $1000+ machine without fearing my life.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
my friend is kinda tough, no worries :D Am I right to suppose that my model is available at the fifth avenue store? I heard BTO models were being sent to the flagship stores, wondering if it's true.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
you should check what they base the taxes on. there might be less taxes if you get it online since NYC taxes are so high.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Actually no. If you bring the computer as your personal belonging, not as a new purchase, it's all OK.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
My friend is just visiting NY, I don't think he'll appreciate me trying to convince him going to Alaska to buy me a MBP :D

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
My friend is just visiting NY, I don't think he'll appreciate me trying to convince him going to Alaska to buy me a MBP :D

New Hampshire should be lovely this time of year...

Or, seriously, just have him order it from a mailorder outfit in a tax-free state. It'll probably be cheaper, AND you won't pay the tax. MacConnection is in - surprise, surprise - New Hampshire. I bought my 13" aluminum Macbook from them (I live in California, which is a high tax state) and was quite happy with the customer service and price. The shipping was WAY less than the tax. He can probably arrange to have it shipped to his hotel, and shipping will be cheap and fast from New Hampshire to NY.

I dunno, but there might be some way to apply for a rebate based on foreign citizenship.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Just took a look at macconnection. It seems that they don't have BTO models... I'm a design student, so high-res screen is pretty compulsory for me.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Actually no. If you bring the computer as your personal belonging, not as a new purchase, it's all OK.

If customs knows that you are bringing in a computer as your personal belonging that you didn't own when you left the country, you are going to pay sales tax. And if they find it on you when you didn't declare it, you'll pay a hefty fine. There will be limits that let you allow items worth X dollars without paying, but a MBP will be above these limits.

Now if that MBP is in your suitcase between your dirty washing, customs won't know. If you bring it in its original packing, expect questions.

neversaynever

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
You take Turkey as having EU customs regulations. Which it doesn't have. They do not force you to declare anything when you're going out, and you're allowed to bring one computer, one camera and a few bottles of wine tax-free. I have seen friends going to the US for shopping because, in there, a top end macbook pro costs $5000. If I stay one or two days in NY, buy a top end MBP and return, it costs the same. Ridiculous.

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
I walked out of a apple store in NYC with a macbook air and 2 iphones and live to tell the tale...............

anyway, with that same gear, I walked up to customs in NZ to declare it all and pay my tax as a good citizen and they wouldn't accept it as I was putting it through my business as an expense. You can't win really.

The amazing thing here in NZ is if you buy anything either personally or through a business you have to have a customs code! It is amazing some of the crap you have to go through to get stuff in here.

Have fun - sneak it back into Turkey - 99% of the time you will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.