Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Getting new MBP soon to complement MP. Make sure of a few things:

Can I connect both via an ethernet (CAT6) cable, then clone my MBP SSD to one of my HDD partitions the MP as a way to do a fast back up? I believe CAT6 travels at gigabit/sec speeds.

When I come home and enter my home network it would be nice if the MBP automatically did a Time Machine backup. Can that be setup? Not required as I like the Time Machine HD to focus on backing up MP, but nice to know if it could conveniently backup.

I am mainly getting the MBP so I can use OS X at work, but will also like to do some video editing and travel with it to be my entertainment center (watch a few movies, podcasts, etc.). Do you think a 128GB SSD is enough for data, OS, and app's (iWork, FCP), or should I get the 256GB?

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Can I connect both via an ethernet (CAT6) cable, then clone my MBP SSD to one of my HDD partitions the MP as a way to do a fast back up? I believe CAT6 travels at gigabit/sec speeds.

Yes you can do that, but I don't get the point of backing up your MBP to your MP.
I'd rather suggest a single network device on which you can store backups of all your machines.
CAT6 is specified for gigabit ethernet, that's right, although the maximum transfer rate of 1GBe is around 100MB/s, you will still be throttled by your MBPs hard drive.

When I come home and enter my home network it would be nice if the MBP automatically did a Time Machine backup. Can that be setup? Not required as I like the Time Machine HD to focus on backing up MP, but nice to know if it could conveniently backup.

That would require an auto mounting of the share you'd like to backup to. You can do that via a little script or a small software whose name I forgot. :eek:

Do you think a 128GB SSD is enough for data, OS, and app's (iWork, FCP), or should I get the 256GB?

128GB for OS and apps is more than enough. If you want to use the SSD for data storage, then you're actually the only one who can tell if 128GB is enough since we don't know your amount of data.

Murray M

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
When I come home and enter my home network it would be nice if the MBP automatically did a Time Machine backup. Can that be setup?

Do you think a 128GB SSD is enough for data, OS, and app's (iWork, FCP), or should I get the 256GB?

1) Consider getting a Time Capule to back up both automatically. Another option is MobileMe backup. Apple works hard for our extra cash.

2) 128 is fine if the size of your video files and "extra space" can live within a 100Gb fence. And if you travel get the SSD for sure. I just lost four seperate laptop hd's in a month--I didn't know that was statistically possible.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I second the time capsule idea. The only thing is that it may take a while to back up through that. It might be better to just but a FireWire 800 external, but if you need it to be without the cables then time capsule for sure.

LurchNC

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I have my Time Machine drive as an internal in my Mac Pro. When you set up the drive for your Mac Book Pro to use as the Time Machine Drive, you only need to mount it the first time. After that, Time machine will mount it automatically if necessary.

For the first backup, I would highly recommend having both machines wired to your router. It will be much faster than wireless.

FYI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.