PDA

View Full Version : Both iMac & MB do not record from optical input

wizwaz3
Apr 21, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm trying to use my digital optical input to record onto my iMac or my MacBook and neither will recognize a signal. I've tried using 2 separate sources on both computers. I am unable to record in GarageBand or Soundtrack Pro. Is there a step I am missing or a program I need?

Please help!

Thank you!

spinnerlys
Apr 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Is the digital input recognized in System Preferences > Sound > Input?

Has re-connecting them worked?

What specific cables and adapters do you use and from what source do you want to record?

wizwaz3
Apr 21, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm using a TOSLINK cable with a 3.5mm adapter. I'm trying to record audio from my DVR for a project with school. I've attempted to connect to two separate DVRs (Same make & model) to both computers to try to get the signal recognized. In system preferences, it shows Digital In as an option under input. I have that selected. When I try to record (thinking perhaps it doesn't allow me to monitor) all I get are clicks and scratches.

ChrisA
Apr 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm using a TOSLINK cable with a 3.5mm adapter. I'm trying to record audio from my DVR for a project with school. I've attempted to connect to two separate DVRs (Same make & model) to both computers to try to get the signal recognized. In system preferences, it shows Digital In as an option under input. I have that selected. When I try to record (thinking perhaps it doesn't allow me to monitor) all I get are clicks and scratches.

The SPDIF standard has a flag in the data the is called "copy restrict". If what you are trying to record is copyrighted then that bit will be set and you can't copy it.

wizwaz3
Apr 29, 2010, 02:59 AM
So the Optical In is really just a gimmick from Apple unless you have expensive equipment that will only record vocals? Seems kind of pointless to me.

Piplodocus
Apr 29, 2010, 03:04 AM
So the Optical In is really just a gimmick from Apple unless you have expensive equipment that will only record vocals? Seems kind of pointless to me.

It's not pointless if your source material output doesn't tell the mac it's copy protected!

jltnol
May 9, 2010, 10:45 PM
it's also possible that if the source is in some encoded form... Dolby perhaps, then it's not a 2 channel stereo track, and therefore won't be recordable any anything.

Try putting a standard audio CD into your DVD player, then try to record it thru the digital input. If you get this step to work, then the audio you are trying to copy is either NOT stereo, IS copy protected, or both.