Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_geek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
England
All,

I have had my PB 17 for around 3 months. When I play DVDs and a scene comes up which involves a significant amount of screen refresh (e.g. the camera pans as a person walks across a room so the entire room background moves) or if I have a fast moving screen saver on I get horizontal flickers on the screen.

These flickers are quite mild and not as bad as some of the other flicker problems described in other threads but they are significant enough to be annoying when I spent £2,000 on a fully specc'ed PB (for perspective my £600 Windows laptop has no such issues with DVD playback).

The symtoms suggest some kind of refresh rate issue where the LCD or card cannot keep up with the redraw rate of the DVD. However given PAL DVDs run at 24 fps and the screen refreshes at 60 Hz this seems unlikely.

I thought it could be a hardware glitch, but a colleague has just bought a brand new PB 17 (as he liked mine so much) and it exibits the same symptoms. My Wintel bretheren at work are enjoying the pain this is causing me and demonising Apple which clearly is unacceptable!!!

I am fully equipped with AppleCare etc so can send the thing in, but given two machines built 3 months apart have the same issue is it likely to be hardware?

Has anyone else seen this and what do you all think I should do next?

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.