PDA

View Full Version : Firewire SDK Available


arn
Aug 7, 2002, 08:14 PM
In an effort to push Firewire's adoption, CNet reports (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-948794.html?tag=fd_top) on Apple's announcement of the FireWire Reference Platform 1.0.

MacCentral (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/07.firewire.php) provides more details:\

Targeted to device manufacturers, Apple released the kit so developers could add to the variety of peripherals and consumer electronic products available to consumers today.


This SDK is a product of Apple's acquisition of Zayante, Inc in April.

Beej
Aug 7, 2002, 08:30 PM
So what does this mean in the way of FW2? Unless it is supported in this release I guess we won't be seeing it in the new Powermacs :(

bousozoku
Aug 7, 2002, 09:18 PM
All this means is that it will be easier for hardware developers to integrate FireWire into their products.

This, along with the iPod for Windows, may spark new reason for integration into the Windows world.

Hopefully, someone will come up with new devices which need a high speed interface. Digital TV would be the most likely application. Digital VCRs already use FireWire along with Digital Video cameras.

puffmarvin
Aug 7, 2002, 09:49 PM
i want the iPod to be one of the few mp3 players with firewire support... i want the others to be so slow that no one wants to use them. hmph, im gonna pout now.

billiam0878
Aug 7, 2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by puffmarvin
i want the iPod to be one of the few mp3 players with firewire support... i want the others to be so slow that no one wants to use them. hmph, im gonna pout now.

Don't worry, the iPod will still be the best ;)

Bill

jaykk
Aug 7, 2002, 10:12 PM
Can this SDK will help us to develop our own applications for iPod like devices? say like a new game for iPod?
Apple is upto something, they are really pushing the technology further..

dongmin
Aug 7, 2002, 10:27 PM
firewire is one of the best technologies to come out of Apple R&D and Apple has done very little to market it. The 1394 trade association licensing the Firewire name and logo was the first step. Now, this "kicks it up another notch."

BTW, the new Nomad 3 from Creative Labs comes with this interface they call "SB1394" and they say it's "IEEE 1394 compatible." Strange, I didn't know there was some new standard that's derivative of firewire. Anyone heard of this?


Nomad 3 link (http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=324&category=2&maincategory=2)

LethalWolfe
Aug 8, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
firewire is one of the best technologies to come out of Apple R&D and Apple has done very little to market it. The 1394 trade association licensing the Firewire name and logo was the first step. Now, this "kicks it up another notch."

BTW, the new Nomad 3 from Creative Labs comes with this interface they call "SB1394" and they say it's "IEEE 1394 compatible." Strange, I didn't know there was some new standard that's derivative of firewire. Anyone heard of this?


Nomad 3 link (http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=324&category=2&maincategory=2)


$20 is it's just Creative Labs name for Firewire. Just like Sony has "i.LINK" Creative has "SB1394."


Lethal

nuckinfutz
Aug 8, 2002, 01:24 AM
This SDK used to cost money. Now it's free. I don't think it matters regarding FW2 because many manufacturers will only use half of the current speed of FW today. Denon, Pioneer and others will be coming out with A/V gear with FW connections for DVD Audio. I can't wait until this comes out.

Pants
Aug 8, 2002, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
This SDK used to cost money. Now it's free. I don't think it matters regarding FW2 because many manufacturers will only use half of the current speed of FW today. Denon, Pioneer and others will be coming out with A/V gear with FW connections for DVD Audio. I can't wait until this comes out.


No it isnt free!!!! read the EULA :-
""This Evaluation License does not grant a license to incorporate the FireWire Reference Platform, any portion of it, or any Modification into any board, module, integrated circuit, macrocell, core or other assemble or device. To obtain a license to develop or distribute assemblies incorporating the FireWire Reference Platform or Modifications, visit http://www.developer.applce.com/mkt/swl""


note the word "EVALUATION"!! If this is more of the liberal use of the word 'free' for headline grabbing purposes, I think I'll cry!

merges
Aug 9, 2002, 02:03 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if most developers can obtain a free license for development; it's just that apple would like to keep tabs on who's doing it, for a number of possible reasons.

why not contact software licensing and find out?