PDA

View Full Version : Received the Camera Connection Kit... Hows does iPad handle pictures?

Alucardx03
Apr 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone. I just received my iPad Camera Connection Kit in the mail, but unfortunately, I'm unable to use it as I'm still waiting for my 3G. I was just wondering if anyone has given it a try yet that can answer some questions.

When imported to the iPad, do pictures retain their original resolution? Or are they resized?

I've heard that the iPad can import videos as well. So, is it possible to load an SD card with .M4V (via Handbrake) video and import it into the "videos" app on the iPad?

Overall, how smooth is the picture downloading process?

ClaireL
Apr 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Head on over to your local Best Buy or Apple Store which have Demo iPad's and people who should help you. Try to connect to a demo unit to get a feel for it right away before you get your 3G.

Alucardx03
Apr 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
Head on over to your local Best Buy or Apple Store which have Demo iPad's and people who should help you. Try to connect to a demo unit to get a feel for it right away before you get your 3G.

To be entirely honest, the prospect of touching a "public" iPad absolutely disgusts me. Have you seen those things? Ecchh. The oil is about an inch thick.

So, if there's a choice between waiting a week or getting a staph infection, I'll try to alleviate my boredom in a different way!

ClaireL
Apr 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
To be entirely honest, the prospect of touching a "public" iPad absolutely disgusts me. Have you seen those things? Ecchh. The oil is about an inch thick.

So, if there's a choice between waiting a week or getting a staph infection, I'll try to alleviate my boredom in a different way!

Haha ok. You could just ask Apple to spray their excellent cleaner on it before you use it but you got a point lol. :p

pdxshad
Apr 22, 2010, 04:30 PM
May I ask when you ordered yours? Mine still not shipped, wondering if there's a first-come first served sort of thing going on.

Also, where did it ship from? Maybe I can pick up in Hong Kong next week.

jsbaugh
Apr 22, 2010, 04:52 PM
I got mine today also. When you hook your camera up it goes directly to photos and starts displaying all of the pictures on your camera. You then have the option to Import all or select the ones to import. It also gives you the option to delete all or selected photos.

SaintsMac
Apr 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
I got mine today also. When you hook your camera up it goes directly to photos and starts displaying all of the pictures on your camera. You then have the option to Import all or select the ones to import. It also gives you the option to delete all or selected photos.

Can you sync your photos back to the desktop from the iPad?

Alucardx03
Apr 22, 2010, 05:11 PM
May I ask when you ordered yours? Mine still not shipped, wondering if there's a first-come first served sort of thing going on.

Also, where did it ship from? Maybe I can pick up in Hong Kong next week.

I ordered it the first day it was available. Sorry, can't remember the specific date.

It did ship from Shenzen, China though. However, I've heard they're readily available in Apple Stores.

biosci
Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 PM
jsbaugh: Do you mean delete them from the card? That would be a cool thing to do as you 'screen' out the poor pictures so you're looking at the iPad vs the small camera screen. I wonder if 64 gb (less since we'll all have apps and such) is good enough though for temp photo backup ie on vacation.

One of the reasons I bring a laptop is just to unload photos from the memory cards and or start post processing.

whistler222
Apr 22, 2010, 05:45 PM
It did ship from Shenzen, China though. However, I've heard they're readily available in Apple Stores.

Not a single store in the greater Seattle area possesses one.
:(

Novidia
Apr 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
Can you sync your photos back to the desktop from the iPad?

Yes you can .... also your camera Videos... tryed a pages doc and that did not work....

Arkwater
Apr 22, 2010, 06:03 PM

I'll bet all the people that touched the ipad also touched the door to the store. How did you get in? :)

lelisa13p
Apr 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
They're not available in Apple Stores yet. I checked again this afternoon. I'm betting that they'll be in the stores around the same date as the 3G goes on sale, "on Friday, April 30th after 5:00 p.m." per my Apple Store's recorded voice message. I've called every other day for two weeks.

shantustarsun
Apr 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
I received the camera kit today. It does a great job importing from my camera and iPhone.

My new Canon camera creates video (720p) in QuickTime format, but I was not able to play the video on the iPad, any ideas?

Travisimo
Apr 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Have you guys with the kit tried importing RAW photos yet? I was wondering how it displays them? Does it just show you a low resolution thumbnail of the raw photo, or does it actually display the high resolution image? And if you import your raw photos from the camera to the iPad, and then plug your iPad into your computer, are the imported photos modified at all or do they remain identical to how they were on the camera (in other words, does the iPad process the photos from the camera when importing)?

Thanks!

lelisa13p
Apr 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
My new Canon camera creates video (720p) in QuickTime format, but I was not able to play the video on the iPad, any ideas?
Is there any provision for loading it via iTunes instead? I just checked the Help file and there's nothing mentioned.

whistler222
Apr 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
if you import your raw photos from the camera to the iPad, and then plug your iPad into your computer, are the imported photos modified at all or do they remain identical to how they were on the camera (in other words, does the iPad process the photos from the camera when importing)?

Single most important question for any photographer.

shantustarsun
Apr 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
Is there any provision for loading it via iTunes instead? I just checked the Help file and there's nothing mentioned.

Good question, but I don't think the iPad iPod does video. I haven't noticed any other input options.

shantustarsun
Apr 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
Single most important question for any photographer.

While I have not imported RAW photos, my Canon takes photos 4320x3240 at 180dpi. I imported from the camera to the iPad, then the iPad to iPhoto. I then dragged the image out of iPhoto and opened it with Photoshop to check it over:
4320x3240, 180dpi.

So I don't think the importing is doing any processing.

SaintsMac
Apr 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
Yes you can .... also your camera Videos... tryed a pages doc and that did not work....

Thanks a million!

master-ceo
Apr 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuW7Exs53bc

Travisimo
Apr 22, 2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuW7Exs53bc

Hey, thanks for the video! I have a few questions I hope you might be able to answer:

If I heard right, you mentioned these were RAW photos, right? Can you confirm whether the RAW photos are "processed" by the iPad when they are imported? In other words, have you transferred the RAW photos from your iPad back to a computer and noticed if they are modified in any way?

Also, if you view the imported RAW photos on the iPad, are they hi-res or does the iPad just created low-res thumbnails?

And finally, can you import photos into separate albums or do they always go into the root main photo album? I'm thinking, for example, if I import photos from different cards or different photo shoots, is there any way to separate them on the iPad?

Thanks!

jaw04005
Apr 22, 2010, 11:24 PM
While we’re all asking questions … how does it import video? Does it put the video in the photos app or video app (with your other iTunes content)?

Can you drag a movie from iTunes, put it on your SD card then use the camera connection kit to import that movie into your iPad? Or is it limited to camera video only?

TimothyB
Apr 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
Here's another question.

After you've transferred photos from the Camera to the iPad. Later after you have removed the camera kit, can you then delete those photos, off the iPad?

Why? Maybe on a long trip there could be an app to upload the full size photos to a flickr account to free some space on the iPad. After done, can you delete them off the iPad? I don't have my iPad right now to test even deleting downloaded photos, I know you can't delete photos synced through iTunes, unless a third party app can.

Oh, is there any organization at all after importing?

andrewb21
Apr 23, 2010, 12:15 AM
So as far as I can see from demos, you can't preview the photos before importing them? Tapping on a photo simply checks, or unchecks it for import, has anyone tried pinch enlarging? Would be a bummer if I couldn't preview shots before importing as I'd love to use this as an on location photo preview method.

TimothyB
Apr 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
So as far as I can see from demos, you can't preview the photos before importing them? Tapping on a photo simply checks, or unchecks it for import, has anyone tried pinch enlarging? Would be a bummer if I couldn't preview shots before importing as I'd love to use this as an on location photo preview method.

I'm waiting to find this out too. I was hoping it would be a great way to check photos for deletion. Such as similar shots, out of focus, exposure etc).

What's driving me nuts is no reviewer even bothers to say you can't, or trys. I'm checking all the youtube videos, and their big moment is showing it fullsize "After" importing. One reviewer couldn't import all because of low space, so that meant wouldn't even be able to view all his photos.

EDIT: Well, in this review, the reviewer finally says he couldn't view the photos while on the card: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/2215-received-camera-connection-kit-short-video-demo-inside.html

That seems like a major failure of usability. Maybe third party apps can access photos off the kit?