PDA

View Full Version : Camera Connection Kit review...uhh...what?

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2010/04/22/ipad-camera-connection-kit/

The first thing that struck me...you cannot sync photos from the iPad to your desktop that were uploaded to the desktop. So if you have your iPad on a trip with you and want to use it as a temporary storage place until you get back home to put the pictures on your desktop, its a no go, at least from Apple.

It looks like there is a program called iPhone Explorer that will let you get the pictures that way, but it's a shame that Apple didn't integrate this for a smooth transition.

Seems half assed...like it was rushed, hopefully they take care of it with a future firmware.

rtay
Apr 22, 2010, 02:42 PM
Man apple was really ridiculous with iPad functionality. Hopefully they add alot down the road. If i didnt already invest around $150 in apps, i would not be in the market for a new ipad.

wolfpackfan
Apr 22, 2010, 02:46 PM
That's disappointing for sure. I was hoping to use the camera connection to move photos from my camera to the iPad and then when I got home from traveling then move them to my Mac.

jeff323
Does the iPad compress photos at all? Is there any way to open your pictures in 3rd party editing apps?

ipoddin
That's just inexcusable that you can't move pictures downloaded to the ipad to your desktop. Pass.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
That's disappointing for sure. I was hoping to use the camera connection to move photos from my camera to the iPad and then when I got home from traveling then move them to my Mac.

Apparently you can do with with the iPhone Explorer program for your desktop and it seems to work well from what Im reading. I just dont get why Apple wouldn't allow this from within their own apps.

JonboyDC
Apr 22, 2010, 02:51 PM
That's just weird -- I haven't used it in a while, but the camera connection kit for my old iPod allows me to import photos from the iPod into iPhoto. When I plug it in, iPhoto just treats it like a camera (the same way it treats my iPhone, which, of course, is a camera) and offers me the option to import photos.

Alucardx03
Apr 22, 2010, 02:55 PM
That's just weird -- I haven't used it in a while, but the camera connection kit for my old iPod allows me to import photos from the iPod into iPhoto. When I plug it in, iPhoto just treats it like a camera (the same way it treats my iPhone, which, of course, is a camera) and offers me the option to import photos.

That's what I was wondering. I never expected the iPad to appear on the desktop as a mounted drive. But, is it possible to import from the iPad into something like iPhoto or Aperture? At the original quality?

I know the article discusses LightRoom, but that's a third-party application. Does the it work on Apple-developed photo programs?

nutmac
Apr 22, 2010, 02:57 PM
The review sounds bogus. Transferring photos from iPad to PC or Mac is one of the stated features of iPad Camera Connector.

igetit
Apr 22, 2010, 02:58 PM

I wonder too... I always figured the reason why my iPhone allowed me to import pics directly into iPhoto was because the iPhone has a camera and my MBP will recognize the iPhone as a camera in iPhoto.

Maybe since the iPad does not have a camera is the reason why it can't be done that easily :confused:

iRabbit
Apr 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
This makes no sense. Why make a camera connection kit if you can't copy the photos from the card to the iPad?

On Apples site, it says

"iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW."

They MUST sync back to iPhoto, no?

melman101
Apr 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I just don't believe this. Save a photo from your e-mail, open up iPhoto, and your iPad will be in the list of Devices waiting for you to sync your photos back. Obviously this guy doesn't realize you can't sync photos from the device into iTunes. You need image capture or iPhoto I would guess.

ipoddin
Apr 22, 2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I just don't believe this. Save a photo from your e-mail, open up iPhoto, and your iPad will be in the list of Devices waiting for you to sync your photos back. Obviously this guy doesn't realize you can't sync photos from the device into iTunes. You need image capture or iPhoto I would guess.

That makes more sense.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hmm...the guy must not be doing something right.

Here is what it says on Apple's site...

"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

G4R2
Apr 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
Either the review or Apple's description of the product are BS. Apple specifically states in its description that photo transfers from iPad to computer are possible.

I've highlighted the pertinent text in bold below:

"Overview

With the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it's incredibly easy to download photos from your digital camera to your iPad so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.

The kit includes two connectors, each with a different interface:

* The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included).
* Use the SD Card Reader to import photos directly from your camera's SD card. Connect it to your iPad, then insert your digital camera's SD card into the slot.

After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library.

iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.
What's in the Box

* Camera Connector
* SD Card Reader

* Perfect accessories for Mom. Give Mom accessories for just about anything."

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

paulisme
Apr 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Maybe the reviewer was using a Windows machine? :confused:

EDIT: Or not, just saw the Mac app screenshot in the review.

jeff323
Apr 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Just use iPhoto it works for my iPod touch.

MacRumorUser
Apr 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah the iPad appears in aperture or iPhoto as a import device and allows connection to any photos or saved images. The article is bunk. I've seen loads of reviews and articles lately that are full of inacurracies.

melman101
Apr 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
My only guess is that he mentions LR which I guess is Adobe Light Room and doesn't use the same camera drivers that Apple uses for Image Capture or iPhoto. He never once said he opened up iPhoto or Image Capture.

vertigo235
Apr 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
Doesn't it just store them on the iPad like photos are stored on the iPhone?

When I connect my iPhone to my comptuer it comes up as a storage device (just like attaching a camera or card reader), then I can copy my photos off.

You've never been able to sync photos from the iPhone to your computer using iTunes.

Eye4Desyn
Apr 22, 2010, 04:30 PM

+1, Had the same idea. If this was true, this would have been an oversight of EPIC PROPORTIONS. Thanks @ poster #14 for clearing this up. I was fuming for a little while there as I have a camera connection kit arriving tomorrow as well - but no iPad to test this out for sure.

kes601
Apr 22, 2010, 04:36 PM
My camera kit will be here tomorrow. I'll check the import process and report back.

Eye4Desyn
Apr 22, 2010, 04:46 PM
My camera kit will be here tomorrow. I'll check the import process and report back.

Good deal...looking forward to your report.

Maaz
Apr 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Bs. It works by connecting with iPhoto.

Kawjumper201
Apr 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ya This device would be completely worthless without this feature. From what I read i believe 100% that it WILL import photos from ipad to iphoto.

Reser
Apr 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
If you have to use Iphoto then how do you sync photos if you are on Windows?

jsbaugh
Apr 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
i got the camera connection kit today. When you hook the camera up it loads photos and then shows all of the pics on your camera. It gives you the option to import all or selected photos. You can also delete all or selected pics.
You can transfer photos from the ipad to iphoto.

spazer
Apr 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
i got the camera connection kit today. When you hook the camera up it loads photos and then shows all of the pics on your camera. It gives you the option to import all or selected photos. You can also delete all or selected pics.
You can transfer photos from the ipad to iphoto.

I just received the camera connection kit as well and can confirm the same thing. The article is not accurate. You can use the iPad as a means to offload photos from your camera/flash card, then later xfr photos from your iPad to your computer through iPhoto. I do not know how this would work in Windows, but I'd imagine there is even a way to get photos off of your iPad there as well.

jsbaugh
Apr 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
As I recall you can move photos from your iPad to a desktop thru Airshare or Goodreader.

sassenach74
Apr 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
I don't have a windows machine here, but didn't the iPhone show up as a connected device in windows, when you click to open it, it only shows the folder containing photos? I'm sure that's how it worked, and probably does the same for the iPad.

whistler222
Apr 22, 2010, 05:40 PM
Does downloading RAW files compress the image in anyway?

if not, that means you can download a raw file to ipad
then move it to a desktop, and it's still in RAW format, uncompressed in any way?
please tell me this is true..
:)

Stoney79
Apr 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
Has anyone with the camera kit tried importing video? Just wondering how that looks. Do the videos show up in the Photo app alongside the stills?

Andrmgic
Apr 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
I don't have a windows machine here, but didn't the iPhone show up as a connected device in windows, when you click to open it, it only shows the folder containing photos? I'm sure that's how it worked, and probably does the same for the iPad.

Yes, Windows views the iPad as a digital camera, just like the iPhone. It shows up in windows explorer as a device and only the picture folders are visible. Also, a dialog will pop up asking if you want to import your photos when you connect the iPad.

Alternately, GoodReader can access your photo library and you can transfer photos from GoodReader to whichever machine you wish over wifi.

Travisimo
Apr 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, I'm so gad that article was wrong! I'll use iPhoto if I have to, but I'd much rather use Lightroom.... So can anyone confirm whether or not you can import directly to Lightroom on the Mac? I can currently import photos from my iPhone using Lightroom, so I had assumed it would work the same way on iPad with photos from the kit.

Travisimo
Apr 22, 2010, 06:39 PM
It's also strange that the fifer of the review was confronted about using iPhoto to import the photos, and he confirmed that he could not get it to work. But since a couple of you in here have said it works, I wonder why he couldn't get it to work?

jclardy
Apr 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just tried opening iPhoto with my iPad connected, and I can see all the images that I have saved from the web/screenshots I have taken. It sees it as a camera, so I'm guessing Aperture would do the same.

I may get the Camera kit at some point, but right now the only camera I am using is my iPhone camera, and I don't really need to offload them to iPad before putting them on the desktop.

Does Photos open automatically after inserting an SD card? I wonder if other apps could access the data on it or a usb flash drive...

Gerri Shin
Apr 22, 2010, 11:28 PM
Can anyone confirm that you need iPhoto '09 to connect up to the iPad, or does iPhoto '08 work? I can't find anywhere on the apple store where it says which version is required.

and if it really needs iPhoto '09, what other options are there to import images from iPad to Mac other than this iPhone Explorer app?

Zazoh
Apr 22, 2010, 11:56 PM
Can anyone confirm that you need iPhoto '09 to connect up to the iPad, or does iPhoto '08 work? I can't find anywhere on the apple store where it says which version is required.

and if it really needs iPhoto '09, what other options are there to import images from iPad to Mac other than this iPhone Explorer app?

You don't need iPhoto. Image capture in the apps folder will transfer pics off the iPad as will Picasa. It always amazes me the quick spread of misinformation without folks just giving it a try.

Dammit Cubs
Apr 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
I think this guy needs to explore all options before shooting himself in the foot with "i can't get my photos off my Ipad"

Chris Grande
Apr 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
He updated his post to show it working. He was connecting it to the USB port in his DELL monitor and that was the reason the computer wasn't seeing it.

Here is a video review I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44F85wRgXdQ for anyone interested in seeing it in action.

bowlerman625
Apr 23, 2010, 08:07 AM
My camera kit arrives today! It looks like it will do what my expectations are. I'm happy with what I'm reading here so far! Great!

Streethawk
Apr 23, 2010, 08:14 AM
Is there any way, using perhaps Goodreader or a remote desktop app, that you could batch photos to your desktop overnight if you're away on a photography trip, either over WiFi or 3G? That would be awesome. :D

master-ceo
Apr 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
He updated his post to show it working. He was connecting it to the USB port in his DELL monitor and that was the reason the computer wasn't seeing it.

Here is a video review I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44F85wRgXdQ for anyone interested in seeing it in action.

YaaaaaYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! It works with the iPhone. I'm so Happy! :cool:

Err0xx
Apr 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
That's just inexcusable that you can't move pictures downloaded to the ipad to your desktop. Pass.

I love when people, like this, buy reviews hook, line, and sinker without doing further research. Lol. "Oh hey! It's on MacRumors...so...IT MUST BE CORRECT!"

Chris Grande
Apr 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm assuming this would work, but could any of you try connecting a USB card reader. Then test it with a memory stick.

jsbaugh
Apr 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
Has anyone with the camera kit tried importing video? Just wondering how that looks. Do the videos show up in the Photo app alongside the stills?

Not sure if anyone answered this question, but yes you can move videos from an SD card to the ipad and watch them. They show up in the photo app with a video icon on it.

yaroldb
Apr 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm assuming this would work, but could any of you try connecting a USB card reader. Then test it with a memory stick.

Yes, please. I only have CF cards so a memory card USB reader would be great... I Camera's USB is sooo slow.

jsbaugh
Apr 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
Yes, please. I only have CF cards so a memory card USB reader would be great... I Camera's USB is sooo slow.

When I hook the camera directly to the ipad via USB the ipad downloads the pictures really fast. Probably faster than my imac.
Im assuming the ipad will read a regular USB card as long as it has pictures on it and recognizes the file extensions.

MacVDS
Apr 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Not sure if anyone answered this question, but yes you can move videos from an SD card to the ipad and watch them. They show up in the photo app with a video icon on it.

Does it only recognize videos in .MP4 format like iTunes or will it import AVI's? Seems most cameras (including mine) use AVI. They will play on the iPad without conversion "IF" you can move them over.

3goldens
Apr 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
it recognizes videos as avi. I was able to transfer a video taken with a camera, nikon coolpix, but when I tried to transfer a straight avi file on the sd card it would not recognize it.
however when i put the avi file inside the nikon folder file on the sd card it did recognize and it did transfer but would not play on the ipad. strange but one would think there is some kind of work around to transfer straight video to the ipad but perhaps not!

I just successfully transferred a .mov file and it played and
m4v file and t played
both within the photo app.
they must be transferred first.

Flip video does no work nor does the Creative Vado.

h00ligan
Apr 23, 2010, 02:13 PM
Link to which types or raw files are supported?

otis123
Apr 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
I think OS4 for iPad is going to fix a lot of issues, and hopefully it improves the camera kit. That's why I think apple is going to wait until the fall, I bet at the music event we get it.

nutmac
Apr 23, 2010, 04:28 PM
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2010/04/22/ipad-camera-connection-kit/
The original review was updated. Apparently he was using the USB port on his Dell monitor (which he didn't mention). What a jerk though. He's calling those that said he was doing something wrong as "useless comments".

pyrodex
Apr 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
When the photos are imported from the SD/Camera and stored on the iPad are they resized or full size? Can you confirm this by pulling the photo from the iPad and then the card and compare sizes?

Alucardx03
Apr 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Wow, what an ass. He posts useless/wrong information, someone calls him out on it, and he calls the comments useless. And, he's even turned off comments for that particular review.

And was anyone else pissed that he's using a picture of a homeless man to get his point across? Talking about the man's smell? We have a real winner here, folks.

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2010/04/16/of-trolls-and-losers/

sassenach74
Apr 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
Wow, what an ass. He posts useless/wrong information, someone calls him out on it, and he calls the comments useless. And, he's even turned off comments for that particular review.

And was anyone else pissed that he's using a picture of a homeless man to get his point across? Talking about the man's smell? We have a real winner here, folks.

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2010/04/16/of-trolls-and-losers/

That guy is a total ****ing moron, over inflated ego and skin as thick as an egg shell.......what a *****.

Consultant
Apr 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think this guy needs to explore all options before shooting himself in the foot with "i can't get my photos off my Ipad"

Exactly. He's too stubborn to publish comments pointing out that he should try iPhoto, but he actually updated his post to say it works with iPhoto:

I have received several comments from readers who assure me I am doing something wrong and that I merely need to load iPhoto on my Mac to transfer photos from the iPad. Clearly, none of these readers have tried that. Talk is cheap. Expertise rare. It will be a cold day in hell before I publish drivel like “You are doing something wrong” with no suggestions as to what ‘right’ is. What possible value are you adding by wasting your time typing that?

However, I have found out what I was doing wrong, no thanks to these useless Comments. Where do you people come from?

It seems that this guy is NOT technically proficient.
- he calls launching program "load"
- insulting readers: "Clearly, none of these readers have tried [iPhoto]"
- asking where do you people come from, when he could have look at certain portion of his wordpress admin

Stoney79
Apr 23, 2010, 05:23 PM

Cheers for that. Can you export videos from the iPad onto YouTube?

Alucardx03
Apr 23, 2010, 05:55 PM
I think it speaks to his abysmal level of self-esteem that he has to insult others, instead of taking constructive criticism. In the end, he was the one that was wrong, not the commenters. A little tip to the owner of the website; If you can't figure something out, don't post it!

Sorry, this guy really irritates me. I work with people with disadvantages (homeless) and disabilities for a living. Such blatant disrespect and brazen uncaring bothers me.

huggies
Apr 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
You don't need iPhoto. Image capture in the apps folder will transfer pics off the iPad as will Picasa. It always amazes me the quick spread of misinformation without folks just giving it a try.

question on this...I completely understand that you can copy photos from ipad to computer via Image Capture. The question i have is *before that step* (of using image capture), can i somehow "tag" or group photos I want to transfer back to computer versus ones I don't? Or do I basically have to write down the filenames on paper or something and then when i go to transfer via Image capture, selectively transfer based on written list.

Essentially the question is, can I tag/group photos locally on ipad such that I can quickly/easily transfer just that group via Image capture?

Basic use case we're looking to do: copy photos from camera to ipad (via camera kit). Go through the hundreds we've imported, select the ones we want to keep, and which ones we don't, then transfer the ones we want to keep back to imac via image capture, and delete the ones we don't (also via image capture seeing mounted ipad?).

Alternatively, is it possible to locally delete photos directly on ipad?

Thanks in advance!

Jaro65
Apr 29, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm...the guy must not be doing something right.

Here is what it says on Apple's site...

"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

And that is exactly what I would expect it to do. I believe the review to be incorrect.