Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Hullo,
My step-mother, who is a teacher, has seen my MBP and has decided owning a mac is the way to go.
She wants to buy a mac-mini to replace her home PC for email, writing reports etc.
If she orders online how does she prove she is a teacher?

doris

bighouse14

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Toronto, ON
My sister just ordered one and the answer is...you don't. You click a box that promises you are a teacher, and presumably they could come ask for proof but her order went through no problem.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
That's great, thanks.
My dad wants to get it for her as a surprise birthday gift, so that's perfect.

doris

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
yeah, your fine, just click and purchase...I've heard that they occasionally do random screening and verification but I've never heard of anyone that that has happened to.

EasyJW

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
when getting educational discount online, I had to use my universities ISP to buy it, possibly if it is bought through the schools servers that may work? however thats not gonna be a surprise gift if she has to buy it herself :-/ they might request a phone call or something

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some schools has dedicated web store

what state are you in/ edu discount isnt much -- might be able to get it online for less?

And you are sure they cant go the extra for a 21" iMac? $999 at the refurb store, pretty sure you can get an edu discount as well.

NO. Only one discount per item. Refurb counts as a discount.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

My in law lied and said he was a student so as to get the student discount online for a MBP.

Got the iPod deal too.

9 months later he dropped it in the kitchen and busted the screen.

Karma can be a real pain.

s.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Actually I just bought and paid for it using my dad's credit card. I got the education discount and no questions were asked.

The mini should have been 510 pounds and I got it for 479, so the discount wasn't that great.

However 3 weeks ago I bought a MBP for 1340 pounds, so tomorrow when the store is open I shall call them, point out that I bought a MBP recently and tell them that the mini was only ordered because she loves my MBP and I recommended she switch to a Mac. Then I will ask if they can give me any extra freebies.

doris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.