PDA

View Full Version : Shape Writer/Swype keyboard perfect marriage for the iPad!!

FtrV8
Apr 22, 2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone have more info on these keyboards making it on the iPad? Seem like the larger keys spaced apart rather nicely on the iPad would be perfect for one handed operation.

LeoNobilis
Oct 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
Anyone have more info on these keyboards making it on the iPad? Seem like the larger keys spaced apart rather nicely on the iPad would be perfect for one handed operation.

Apparently, neither Swype nor ShapeWriter intend to code for the iPad. The latter was recently acquired by Nuance, and its brainchildren for the iPhone were removed from the App Store; the former appears to have resolved not to develop for the iOS. It's a shame, of course, as both would, indeed, complement iOS very well.
:mad:

pjcforpres2020
Oct 6, 2010, 08:21 PM
Swypes main focus is to get oem's to buy the redistribution rights, which so far samsung is the only one that has done so... And I doubt Apple will ever join in.

japanime
Oct 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
I wasn't aware that ShapeWriter was no longer available in the App Store. I downloaded it a year or so ago; glad I still have access to it. Would love to see similar apps made available for the iPhone and iPad, though.

Scottological
Oct 7, 2010, 05:19 PM
Too bad. The one thing the iPad isn't very good at is entering text. I put a lot of effort into learning to type well on the thing in landscape mode and am pretty good at it, but it's not suitable for using while standing up.

I'm a writer and would love to have a closely spaced keyboard equipped with Swype to use during interviews, press conferences, etc.

jsbaugh
Oct 8, 2010, 09:58 AM
Too bad. The one thing the iPad isn't very good at is entering text. I put a lot of effort into learning to type well on the thing in landscape mode and am pretty good at it, but it's not suitable for using while standing up.

I'm a writer and would love to have a closely spaced keyboard equipped with Swype to use during interviews, press conferences, etc.

Swype is fine on a smaller device were you can't use two hands to type, but makes no sense on a larger tablet where the keys are spread out. I use swype on my droidX and to be honest it's sort of a pain.

itsmyipad
Oct 31, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not going to say a lot, I'm going to see what type of reply I get from the company. But, I have no intention of letting this program die.

tvamvarg
Jun 21, 2011, 03:06 AM
Swype is fine on a smaller device were you can't use two hands to type, but makes no sense on a larger tablet where the keys are spread out. I use swype on my droidX and to be honest it's sort of a pain.

Oh yeah? The way I use the iPad I pretty much always hold it in one hand - ergo only one hand left to type with. If I have two hands free I rather use a laptop. I detest typing on the iPad, but I think Swype would be a great way to input text on it. I switched from iPhone to cheapo Samsung Android, and Swype was one of the features that made me go for it. If Android for pads gets up to speed I might switch there, too.

Scottological
Jun 21, 2011, 01:03 PM

Me too, and I agree. One little trick I've done is to get an iPhone-only note taking app. When you double the size, the keyboard retains the iPhone's keyboard proportions. Strangely, this is much easier to use one-handed than the regular iPad keyboard.

The lack of a good one handed text entry system is a real problem that I hope Apple will address by using Swype or a similar tech.