Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhoskins1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I see the ssd options on the mbp's and I wonder if they are worth the extra cost. My wife is going crazy with her new digital slr and I like buying movies in itunes. I just had to replace the hard drive on my 24" imac. Luckily Time Machine saved it all. However, we now have 350 gigs and it will only grow!! I'd like a laptop as second computer. I probably don't need to keep all that data on the laptop, but constantly having to offload files to make room doesn't sound appealing either. I understand the solid state drives are more durable and faster. What do you think?

mcruzader

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I think SSD are the best investment, after RAM. It will feel like a whole new computer. But you can also do what I did, remove the optical bay and put the ssd there and put a regular hdd in the shock protected bay.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
SSD's are the beat investment you can do performance wise for your mac. I you have the money to purchase one then I would say buy one. My 2007 MacBook literally fly's with one.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I think SSD are the best investment, after RAM. It will feel like a whole new computer. But you can also do what I did, remove the optical bay and put the ssd there and put a regular hdd in the shock protected bay.

I am trying to find out what is the most cost effective way of having this done. I started another thread asking whether I should keep my free ssd that I got or get a 500gb 7200rpm drive for the space. Another member suggested doing this, and I did some research but I have no idea what is a good price for a mount/ what is a good mount to go for. Any advice in this area?

jhoskins1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
OK, so bear with me here. I really don't know much about this stuff. Why keep the hdd at all? Do you need the extra storage space? What do store on the ssd and what 's on the hdd?

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
If you go the dual route OS and apps on the SSD and your photos, etc on the hdd. SSD is much faster than hdd so you'll get the performance hit mentioned above and have ample space to store data on the hdd.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I am not sure about the OP but in my case, I would like to keep the SSD for speed. Things really fly with an SSD (start up, applications etc). The real problem is, my ssd is only 80gb and with ssds at a premium it is hard to upgrade to more space when it is really needed by me. I already use up half the space and there are only applications and random files on it! You add on the second drive for the space - in my case, all my media and movie files. I looked up the MCE drive, and it looks like it is $100 for the kit + free usb 2.0 enclosure for your superdrive, which is not bad considering the convenience you get of having more space in your computer.

I am still doing some research on it, but it would be best to put the ssd in the optical bay, yes? Something about shock protection of the drive?

Also, if anyone knows, if my ssd with the os is in the optical bay, will it be automatically booted with no problems if just my media files are in the standard hdd bay?

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2009
China
I am not sure about the OP but in my case, I would like to keep the SSD for speed. Things really fly with an SSD (start up, applications etc). The real problem is, my ssd is only 80gb and with ssds at a premium it is hard to upgrade to more space when it is really needed by me. I already use up half the space and there are only applications and random files on it! You add on the second drive for the space - in my case, all my media and movie files. I looked up the MCE drive, and it looks like it is $100 for the kit + free usb 2.0 enclosure for your superdrive, which is not bad considering the convenience you get of having more space in your computer.

I am still doing some research on it, but it would be best to put the ssd in the optical bay, yes? Something about shock protection of the drive?

Also, if anyone knows, if my ssd with the os is in the optical bay, will it be automatically booted with no problems if just my media files are in the standard hdd bay?

I'm just going to explain this once. MCE is over prices, all it is is a piece of metal and a sata connector. You can do the same with foam tape. But I wouldn't.

Google which optibay adapter to buy and find the one that fits your chipset, the MBP chipset for sata is like ahci9 or something I forgot, it's REALLY easy to find.

You can get them for $10. There is NO difference in quality at all.
Leave the HDD where it is. It WILL die if you move it. (Well it'll be ok but it has a higher risk of failure. so sit down, shut up, and be safe.)
Put the SSD in the bay, screw that sucker in, and be happy.

Simple.
If I ever see the link for the cheaper bay again I'll put it in my sig, but it IS here on MR, maby you can google "mroogle", and use that tool to find it. You guys put way too much thought into this. (I already basically did the thinking for you.)

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'm just going to explain this once. MCE is over prices, all it is is a piece of metal and a sata connector. You can do the same with foam tape. But I wouldn't.

Google which optibay adapter to buy and find the one that fits your chipset, the MBP chipset for sata is like ahci9 or something I forgot, it's REALLY easy to find.

You can get them for $10. There is NO difference in quality at all.
Leave the HDD where it is. It WILL die if you move it. (Well it'll be ok but it has a higher risk of failure. so sit down, shut up, and be safe.)
Put the SSD in the bay, screw that sucker in, and be happy.

Simple.
If I ever see the link for the cheaper bay again I'll put it in my sig, but it IS here on MR, maby you can google "mroogle", and use that tool to find it. You guys put way too much thought into this. (I already basically did the thinking for you.)

Wow...

Well thank you for all that. But I did some research on my own already for the optibay and found helpful tips in other threads (which were not belittling and full of attitude). I gathered as much from other members using the search (but was at work and doing a bunch of things at the same time so I couldn't do the proper research at that point.) The point of these forums is for discussion and to see if there is new information out there from different members who maybe don't speak up. (That's how I learned of a cheaper alternative from alphaod). Anyways thank you. Maybe when I get my stuff in I will be really helpful and make a wiki or go-to topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.