PDA

View Full Version : Transparent furniture pads to protect the back of my iPad

BlackJacques
Apr 23, 2010, 07:26 AM
I've never taken my iPad out of my home and I only rest it on table top surfaces that are smooth, glass or wood. I started noticing some very small scratches to the aluminum and the beginnings of dark, wear marks near the apple logo - presumably from rubbing. I rotate my iPad alot when it's put down.

I don't care for a case because I'm one of those that prefers the naked look. I do have a rubber grip case for my iPhone because I trust my self less to not drop that.

I went to the hardware store and bought these furniture pads to put on the back, near the corners, so my ipad never makes contact with the surface when I set it down. They're translucent so it looks less objectionable. I thought they were hard plastic. I'd wanted to still be able to rest it on a surface and rotate the iPad, but turns out they're softer rubber with a grip. After a day, I'm thinking I like it because there's less danger my dog would knock it off my coffee table.

I'm a little surprised Apple didn't mold some tiny protectors on the back as part of the aluminum. You see this all the time on hand held devices. I suppose they thought it would look less aesthetically pleasing, but it's a no brainer that a lot of people will rotate it or slide it to someone else when it's resting on a surface.

Cheers

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I2350609/name/pads_vinyl_clear_3_8_16cd

GoCubsGo
Apr 23, 2010, 07:28 AM
Someone did this but they had a skin on the back. I would not stick these straight on the iPad, I'd apply a skin first.

BlackJacques
Apr 23, 2010, 07:31 AM
I see your point. I didn't like the location I first put them on and moved them. The adhesion doesn't appear to be that strong. Even compensating for when the adhesion takes more, I don't think these particular ones will damage my iPad when I take them off, but I could see some other products being more of a problem.

yellow
Apr 23, 2010, 08:14 AM
[Moved to iPad Accessories SubForum]

PCClone
Apr 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
Someone did this but they had a skin on the back. I would not stick these straight on the iPad, I'd apply a skin first.

Do you prefer the naked look too?