Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Beez E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hi,
I just bought a new Kingston snvp325-s2 and its really fast, but only after startup. It takes just under two minutes for the thing to startup and shutdown is about 45 seconds. Now my stock 5400 mac HD was faster... But I have to say the Read/Write times are fine and apps open in a second. Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Dr Beez E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
And its formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as well as set to the startup disk if that helps

ahankinson

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
You could try booting into verbose mode to see what it's doing. Reboot, then hold down Cmd-V when the screen first turns grey. Release it when your screen turns black and shows the UNIX boot sequence. It should tell you where the hang-up is.

Dr Beez E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Just did that and I couldnt understand anything it was telling me... also after about 10 seconds my desktop showed up. Think my ssd is fine but its just kind of slow?

Dr Beez E

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
it was already set as the startup disk and I took smc off as a login item. That startup is now at 55 seconds so I guess that's not too bad. But why do I see posts that claim 20 second start ups or 30 seconds even? I'm running double that...

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
whats your boot time? mine is 19-20 seconds with a seagate 7200.4 (after a fresh install of everything as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.