Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I'm gearing up to buy a 15" i7 MBP, and will probably upgrade it to 6GB RAM within the year, but can't decide whether to do so immediately.

I'm liable to be running a few CS apps at once, and probably a VM or two (or three) at once for web browser testing purposes. Highest memory load would likely be Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver all at once with no VMs, or 4 VMs (2 WinXP + 2 Win7) plus Photoshop and Dreamweaver. (In either case, I'd have mail, a few browser windows with a half-dozen tabs each, and probably iTunes running as well.)

4GB currently gives me just enough overhead for the 4 CS apps, but that's CS3, not CS5... and of course I can't virtualize Windows on the G5, so no idea how much memory that would likely need. How constricting will I find the 4GB to start off with?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
For your usage, 8GB is almost a minimum for smooth experience. CS apps take quite much RAM and VMs take even more!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It sounds like, while you could get by with 4GB and do all you need, you'd probably see a noticeable improvement in performance with more RAM.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Concerning running 4 VMs, I've got an i7 iMac with 8GB RAM, the i7 is quad-core plus hyperthreading but only a dual core i7 in the MacBook Pro. I've occasionally run 3 VMs at a time (Win7, XP, and Ubuntu) and the system starts to feel stressed. I expect 4 would be the limit. My C2D Al MacBook will run two VMs but is noticeably slowed down. I really don't expect that any MacBook Pro will be good for 4 simultaneous VMs. Seems like you would need the i7 iMac at a minimum and preferably an 8-core Mac Pro. That would even run the VMs and the Adobe software simultaneously.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Thanks, guys. 8GB just plain isn't in my budget yet, but what you're saying is very helpful. I guess in a worst-case scenario I could run the VMs sequentially. No iMac or Mac Pro this time... just desperate to go mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.