Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have a tableview that is bound to an array controller. I can add records just fine by using the array controller's add: action. However there is one part in the code that I wish to add additional records. I can add the records to the array controller just fine, but the NSTableView will not add. After I add the records, I can run the "add:" action and the tableview will reload and only then I can see the added records.

Here is a snippet of my code:

Code:
      Author *newAuth;
	newAuth = [[Author alloc] init];
	[[newAuth properties] setValue:@"first" forKey:@"firstname"];
	[[newAuth properties] setValue:@"lost" forKey:@"lastname"];
	[_authors addObject:newAuth];

[newAuth release];
	[authorsView reloadData];

authorsView is an Outlet connected to my table that is bound to the array controller (_authors, which is an array of Author)

Any ideas? I have tried everything to try to get that thing to refresh!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I also noticed this about my Interface, where I connected the TableViews to the controller:

screen_capture_inspector.jpg

Notice the indexes of the NSTableViews are (,) and ()... why is that? Could that be causing this? :confused:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Doesn't work.

I should also add, that after adding the newAuth object to the tableView I can get it to appear by changing the sort order on the view by clicking the column headers.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Oh, I just thought of something. What happens if you send a setNeedsDisplay message right after the reload? I'm thinking that it doesn't visually update without a little kick so that a series of adds won't be too slow.

[I'll also note that others have encountered this problem if an NSTableView's controller happens to be subclassed from NSDocument.]

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
iMeowbot said:
Oh, I just thought of something. What happens if you send a setNeedsDisplay message right after the reload? I'm thinking that it doesn't visually update without a little kick so that a series of adds won't be too slow.

That didn't work. Good guess though!

There's gotta be something I'm not doing right, I just wish I could figure out what! :mad:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
'Fraid of that. tableviews are definitely buggy. Lots of stuff here on random problems epople have with them and a few workarounds. Good luck (and do tell us what eventually works!)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Grrrrr. Since Openstep is already a published spec, would it really kill them to show the source code for Cocoa? The documentation they supply really doesn't cut it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.