Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Becko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hello, basically I'd like to know how well (or smooth) performs Parallels on a new MBP i7 ? ... since I'll be doing a lot of work and switching on both sides, mac side for CS5 software, and bootcamp side for autodesk (3D SMax and Maya).

thanks in advance

Becko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
ok.. I'd assume Parallels isn't worth unless you have 8GB of RAM ...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have 4GB RAM on my C2D Intel iMac (the maximum it supports), and allocated 1GB RAM to Windows. It works quite well - but those two applications will likely not perform well in Parallels, even if you give the VM 4GB of RAM.

karl878

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2005
CA
I also have a C2D iMac with 4GB RAM. This month I installed Parallels 5 with Windows 7, and got the products to work. Installation was easy. On the downside, I couldn't get Parallels/Windows 7 to run the Blue Mars client (3D virtual world platform using CryENGINE™2 powered graphics), so uninstalled Parallels and the Windows 7.

Set up Apple's Boot Camp instead and installed Windows 7 under Boot Camp. Blue Mars client runs without any problems. Running this software was my main need for Windows 7. So I vote for using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows 7.

Becko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks both for the response I will stick with bootcamp then.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
After using both parallels and vmware I went back to boot camp. I do a lot of auto-cad stuff and the mouse wasn't as precise when running in virtual machine. I have used both xp and win 7 64 (currently running boot camp) in a virtual machine. Go with boot camp if your doing 3d stuff. Need as much ram and video memory you can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.