Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bass93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Ok, so I found this guy in Chicago that is selling a 2nd gen 32GB iPod Touch for $160, which is really cheap. I live over three hours from him. The reason that he is selling it is because he can't pay his iPhone bill. I told him that I'd trade him my 5th gen 8GB iPod Nano and $50 cash. He said that would work. The only problem is that neither one of us want to get screwed.

I told him that I could send him a $55 check ($5 to cover shipping of the Touch), then he could send the Touch, then I could send the Nano. He wasn't comfortable with that. He doesn't want to do PayPal because that would take too long. So what are your guys' recommendations? How do we do this without getting screwed?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
If you go through the US postal system and document everything and require a signature for signing, you might be okay. The reason is because if either one steal from each other, it's mail fraud and that is a federal offense. Not a guarantee, but fear of committing a felony over something that is less than $200 is just not worth it.

The other option is to have a third party hold the product until the money exchanges hands. Other than that, you have to be willing to take a risk. That's one of the chances you have to take to get something cheaply. If you aren't willing to take the risk, then pass on the deal.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
He is selling his iPod to pay for his iPhone bill... so how is getting another iPod going to pay his iPhone bill? $50 will only be one month.

bass93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
If you go through the US postal system and document everything and require a signature for signing, you might be okay. The reason is because if either one steal from each other, it's mail fraud and that is a federal offense. Not a guarantee, but fear of committing a felony over something that is less than $200 is just not worth it.

The other option is to have a third party hold the product until the money exchanges hands. Other than that, you have to be willing to take a risk. That's one of the chances you have to take to get something cheaply. If you aren't willing to take the risk, then pass on the deal.

Ok, I might consider that. Thanks.

He is selling his iPod to pay for his iPhone bill... so how is getting another iPod going to pay his iPhone bill? $50 will only be one month.

Well, don't ask me. It's been shut off for five days, and he just wants it back. lol.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I don't think there is any easy way to handle this. May be a great deal but more trouble then it is worth. Also, how the hell is another iPod going to help this man? Strange. :rolleyes:

bass93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
I don't think there is any easy way to handle this. May be a great deal but more trouble then it is worth. Also, how the hell is another iPod going to help this man? Strange. :rolleyes:

Don't ask me. See my Touch in my sig broke in a car wreck, and I'd really like another, but don't have hardly any cash.

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Also strange is that a guy in Chicago, a city of millions, cannot find a buyer at this great price.

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
Actually he posted it in the region of around St. Louis for some reason.

If you don't realize that this is screaming scam then go ahead with the 'trade'. If you're smart enough to realize that the deal is too good to be true then you will stop talking to this dude and try and save some $$ to buy an iPod touch sometime in the future.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
No, I've talked with him about it all quite a bit. Seems pretty legit.

It's not a matter of whether or not it's legit. You're to drive an hour and a half to meet his guy in the middle over a matter of a few dollars? To me, that time is worth way more than that...but maybe that's just me.

bass93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Ok, well this guy says that he has no money to meet half way. I told him that I'll just wait til September when the iPods are updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.