PDA

View Full Version : Dual USB charger for iPhone & iPad available yet??

sonictonic
Apr 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hey guys,

I have this one bookmarked, from MacAlly...
http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=326#

...but it's still not available and I want one NOW. :p

Is anyone else making one? Or better yet is one for sale yet?

Will this one from Griffin work? They don't show many specs on it...
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerblock-dual-universal

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

EDIT:
Ooooh what about this cool Belkin dual USB charger and 3 outlet item? This is great for travel... Will it quickly and properly charge iPhone and iPad you think?
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738

EDIT 2:
Read that the Belkin device is not too friendly with iPhones and won't charge via both USB ports at the same time. How stupid... Why else would I need two USB ports on one device? Guess I'll keep waiting...

lelisa13p
Apr 25, 2010, 12:49 AM
I've been using musicPower Duet (http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/5750794/reviews.htm) for a year with an iPod Touch 2nd Gen, iPhone 3Gs and now iPad. Works fine. :)

California King
Apr 25, 2010, 02:26 AM
I've seen the Belkin one at Best Buy. You should just see if you can find it there and give it a try. I'm sure it'll charge the iPhone and iPad.

sonictonic
Apr 25, 2010, 02:44 AM
Thanks guys.

CAKing - Don't see it on the website... and nothing like it under $29. Found it on Amazon though for only $10.88! And I have to order another item anyway so I'm just gonna add that one to my cart.

I can report back if anyone is interested, otherwise, see ya around :)

nippyjun
Apr 25, 2010, 07:30 AM
I don't think that any of the ones mentioned can charge the ipad at full speed; meaning it may take twice as long to charge it as the ones make specifically for the ipad. Am I correct?

nippyjun
Apr 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys.

CAKing - Don't see it on the website... and nothing like it under $29. Found it on Amazon though for only $10.88! And I have to order another item anyway so I'm just gonna add that one to my cart.

I can report back if anyone is interested, otherwise, see ya around :)

This one has only 500ma for each USB port.

MajorTCS
Apr 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
I have the Belkin. - it is slow to charge my iPad, 3% after 15 minutes.
Scocshe (spelling), has a dual USB charger that looks more powerful. N/A till Late Spring.

sonictonic
Apr 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
This one has only 500ma for each USB port.

How many "ma" do I need to charge the iPad at the same speed as the included adapter?

What's frustrating as hell is this type of tech spec is not available for all these devices, even the Apple one on their own site. It's like they want it to be a secret.

EDIT:
Just canceled this item in my Amazon order. I read that both USB ports won't charge at the same time and they aren't too friendly with iPhones. LAME! Why is this so complicated anyway? Yes I know USB has a common minimum spec, but if you've got 1+ USB ports, plugged directly into an AC outlet, why can I not get the full power from the wall to all outlets? I don't get it.

jjk454ss
Apr 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
Here is a couple by Scosche:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/scosche-announces-new-ipad-chargers/

sonictonic
Apr 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
Here is a couple by Scosche:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/scosche-announces-new-ipad-chargers/

$29 and not available until "late spring" ... but thanks...

lelisa13p
Apr 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Amazon has the one I listed above (http://www.amazon.com/Music-Power-0900-71-Duet-Charger/dp/B000QFKDLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272242977&sr=8-2) at half the price that I paid a year ago, when the item was introduced. Dual charging. :) (iProducts approved.)

I'll shut up now. ;)

jjk454ss
Apr 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
$29 and not available until "late spring" ... but thanks...

You didn't say it had to be available and affordable:D. I actually didn't look very close, I just remembered seeing it the other day.

sonictonic
Apr 25, 2010, 09:20 PM
lelisa, Thanks. :) Looks like that one only puts out 500ma just like the Belkin one as the other poster mentioned and apparently that barely charges the iPad... meaning it works but really slowly... :(

And JJ, thanks, but actually my first post said I want one NOW and not to have to wait. ;)

lelisa13p
Apr 25, 2010, 10:22 PM
The first time I charged my iPad after running the battery down to 6%, I charged for 3 hours and was back up to 100%. How fast do you want to go? :confused:

Now I plug in and go to sleep.

sonictonic
Apr 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
The first time I charged my iPad after running the battery down to 6%, I charged for 3 hours and was back up to 100%. How fast do you want to go? :confused:

Now I plug in and go to sleep.

Well, something does not add up here because nippy above said the Belkin is only 500ma (same as yours) and Major says his Belkin charged only 3% in 15 minutes.

This should not be so confusing, but it is. So I'm going to wait it out.

Agile55
Apr 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
Any updates here re. to dual chargers?

Sonictonic any progress in your search?

sonictonic
Apr 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
^
None unfortunately. I gave up and am using a different spot and outlet for my iPad. :P

Maybe when this MacAlly one comes out I'll get that, or if Griffin hurries up and makes an iPad version of their dual charger...

CrAkD
Apr 27, 2010, 09:40 PM
I charge my iphone on my nightstand and my ipad at my computer desk. Cant really replace the speed of the ipad included charger. I was at 8% about an hour so ago im already up to 40%.

Advil
Apr 27, 2010, 09:54 PM
the belkin one is cool looking it's only 5 volt. it'll charge the ipad but verryyyy slowly. 10 volt is where it's at.

roland.g
Apr 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
I've got one that charges both at the same time just fine. It's called my iMac. :D

Agile55
Apr 28, 2010, 04:10 PM
Understood Roland, have the same thing but when it's in sleep mode not charging.

elleana
Apr 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
I've got one that charges both at the same time just fine. It's called my iMac. :D

Yeah, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about as well.

sonictonic
Apr 28, 2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about as well.

The fuss is about convenience, and that not everyone wants all their stuff plugged into their computer or at their desk. I like having my iPhone plugged in on the nightstand, and would like to plug in the iPad there as well. Would be nice to take up just one outlet for both devices.

Also portability... it'd be nice to only have to bring one adapter instead of two in case I travel somewhere with my iPad and iPhone.

Agile55
Apr 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
THIS > Also portability... it'd be nice to only have to bring one adapter instead of two in case I travel somewhere with my iPad and iPhone.

SonicTonic you nailed it again + the aforementioned nightstand issue.

Agile55
May 7, 2010, 12:22 AM
Has anyone seen anything that fills this void yet?

pdutta2000
May 8, 2010, 10:04 AM
EDIT:
Ooooh what about this cool Belkin dual USB charger and 3 outlet item? This is great for travel... Will it quickly and properly charge iPhone and iPad you think?

EDIT 2:
Read that the Belkin device is not too friendly with iPhones and won't charge via both USB ports at the same time. How stupid... Why else would I need two USB ports on one device? Guess I'll keep waiting...

I have this belkin charger and it's great. I can say that it does charge 2 USB devices at the same time. I've done 2 iPhones and an iPhone and iPad at the same time with no issue. It charges slowly but the convenience is awesome.

peetah
May 8, 2010, 11:39 AM
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned this yet.... http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggsparq.php

ZAGGsparq 2.0 Features

[snip]

* Superior Engineering: ZAGGsparq 2.0 has been specifically engineered to charge Apple's iPad. It adds an additional 5 to 6 hours of video playback to the iPad.

If you're lucky enough to score a 50% off coupon, the price becomes very reasonable!

Agile55
May 9, 2010, 10:48 PM
soooooo where would one score this 50% off coupon?

sonictonic
May 9, 2010, 11:15 PM
soooooo where would one score this 50% off coupon?

Yes please I'd like to know too. :p

nippyjun
May 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
You enter your email address on their site and can get a coupon for up to 50% off.

The first model of this charger had some problems. Search tis forum for more info.

This new one is supposed to fix those problems.

This one claims to charge the iPad at the same rate as the iPad wall charger. Does anyone that knows amps,watts,and volts check to see if thisnis the same power as the 10v iPad charger.

Hammie
May 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure if anyone is looking for one in their car, but I have a four port USB car charger that I got from USBFever.com. It still has the cigarette outlet for other devices that do not charge via USB.

I have had my iPad, an iPhone, and two DS's plugged in at the same time and had all of them charging. It doesn't seem to charge them as fast but they still charge.

I'm a satisfied customer.

Agile55
May 10, 2010, 01:42 PM
Just ordered the Zaggsparq 2.0 using the coupon mentioned which is 40 % w/ free shipping so $59.99.

After reading the spec. sheet it supplies 5 volts, not 10 for the iPad. OP & my goal was to get a

dual USB travel charger for the Pad & Phone, one piece to connect w/ while sleeping OTR.

nippyjun
May 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
2000mA @ 5V for the zagg.

mntentman
May 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
Why does Zagg say it charges at the same rate as iPad wall charger? It doesn't (5 vs 10v), right?

Agile55
May 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
Max output: 2000mA @ 5V / Charges the iPad at the same rate the iPad wall charger charges the iPad.

Both from the Zagg WS, can anyone help in explaining this APPARENT contradiction?

Hammie
May 10, 2010, 08:59 PM
Why does Zagg say it charges at the same rate as iPad wall charger? It doesn't (5 vs 10v), right?

You guys are getting volts and watts confused.

The iPad charger is 10 watts. To get this you take 5V and multiply it by 2A to get 10 watts.

Watts = Volts times Amps

W=VA

Agile55
May 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thx Hammie, never have claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Will be interesting to see my ACTUAL charge times when I receive the Sparq v 2.0 vs. my OEM iPad wall charger.

Hammie
May 11, 2010, 04:39 AM
Thx Hammie, never have claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Will be interesting to see my ACTUAL charge times when I receive the Sparq v 2.0 vs. my OEM iPad wall charger.

No problem. I know things can get confusing at times. I've been there done that before. :D

I only have the original wall charger, and neither my laptop USB port nor my new car charger charge my iPad as fast.

Hope you find it meets all of you needs!

ToutSuite
May 11, 2010, 02:04 PM
Seems to me like Zagg are saying the top port will charge an iPad or an iPhone, but aren't promising the same with the bottom port. Curious to see whether you can charge the iPhone from the bottom...

eMagine
May 11, 2010, 02:14 PM
got myself a zagg spark 2 at 50% off yesterday ($50+tax).

thanks for the heads up!

nippyjun
May 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
Seems to me like Zagg are saying the top port will charge an iPad or an iPhone, but aren't promising the same with the bottom port. Curious to see whether you can charge the iPhone from the bottom...

It would be great if it could charge the ipad up top and the iphone below at the same time.

I've emailed the company about this with no response.

Agile55
May 11, 2010, 03:24 PM
eMagine & nippyjun keep us in the loop alright?

Should have my sparq2 Fr/Mon, in the meantime eMagine is your's in hand or enroute like mine?

iFerd
May 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

EDIT 2:
I have this charger. It handles my iPhone or Kindle fine, but when I plug in my iPad, it shows as not charging. Bummer for sure!

I am looking for a USB device I could use in the car to charge my iPad. Any proven suggestions?

Hammie
May 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have this charger. It handles my iPhone or Kindle fine, but when I plug in my iPad, it shows as not charging. Bummer for sure!

I am looking for a USB device I could use in the car to charge my iPad. Any proven suggestions?

I have this one for my car and it works perfectly. You can find it at usbfever.com. I have had my iPad, iPhone, and two DS's connected all at the same time and all charged. It was a little slower than plugged in by itself in the wall, but it worked.

http://www.usbfever.com/member/37704/products/smallimage/249_super_car_usb_charger_556.jpg

eMagine
May 11, 2010, 11:26 PM
eMagine & nippyjun keep us in the loop alright?

Should have my sparq2 Fr/Mon, in the meantime eMagine is your's in hand or enroute like mine?

it's enroute. i'll give an update as soon as i get mine.

Agile55
May 11, 2010, 11:46 PM
My Sparq2 left the SLC mail facility Tu w/ a 2-3 day ETA to ETX.

You should have yours sooner in SoCal, looking forward to your feedback.

I leave next week & my original goal was to find a dual USB wall charger for

road use, we should know soon.

nippyjun
May 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
This is the response i got back from Zagg in regard to charging the ipad and iphone at the same time:

"Thank you for contacting ZAGG, where we are Zealous About Great Gadgets! My name is Raline and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regards to your email, the ZAGGsparq 2.0 can charge 2 devices at one time. Regarding the iPad and Ephor, it is not advisable because iPad has so much power going into it and would take up most of the charge from the ZAGGsparq 2.0. You would be able to plug in both but it would not charge the same as if you had them plugged in separately.

Thank you for choosing ZAGG. We appreciate your business!

All the best,

Raline"

eMagine
May 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
This is the response i got back from Zagg in regard to charging the ipad and iphone at the same time:

"Thank you for contacting ZAGG, where we are Zealous About Great Gadgets! My name is Raline and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regards to your email, the ZAGGsparq 2.0 can charge 2 devices at one time. Regarding the iPad and Ephor, it is not advisable because iPad has so much power going into it and would take up most of the charge from the ZAGGsparq 2.0. You would be able to plug in both but it would not charge the same as if you had them plugged in separately.

Thank you for choosing ZAGG. We appreciate your business!

All the best,

Raline"

Thanks nippyjun!
Just as I had expected. I will be doing some tests after I get mine.

tm.chen
May 13, 2010, 03:04 AM
Hope your sparq2 works.

Agile55
May 13, 2010, 03:59 AM
tm.chen given their 45 day return policy it begs the question why didn't you return it?

Scrtach that question, none of my business.

eMagine
May 13, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hope your sparq2 works.

I just got the Sparq 2 in the mail today.
Yes, it does work - charging both my iPad and iPhone at the same time.
It works GREAT!!! Best $55 spent in a long while.

I'm gonna do some tests on how much slower it will be to charge the iPad with both the iPad and iPhone plugged in.

Let me know if you wanna see pix.

Agile55
May 13, 2010, 12:02 PM
emagine thx for sharing, IMO pics aren't necessary but what about charge
times? A depleted iPad battery charge by itself & then another w/ your phone at the
same time. Did I cover the bases folks?

eMagine
May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
emagine thx for sharing, IMO pics aren't necessary but what about charge
times? A depleted iPad battery charge by itself & then another w/ your phone at the
same time. Did I cover the bases folks?

i'm doing the "charge 9 hours before initial use" thingy...
So I'm depleting my iPad and iPhone batteries right now.
Tonight when the 9 hours is complete i'll do a test on how long it takes to charge an iPad from empty to full with both USB's plugged in.

Agile55
May 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Looking forward to it, thx again for your time/effort with this.

Mine has a Fr/Sat ETA so it will be good to have your input first.

eMagine
May 13, 2010, 02:06 PM
Looking forward to it, thx again for your time/effort with this.

Mine has a Fr/Sat ETA so it will be good to have your input first.

Just to give you a heads up, Zagg does not guarantee charging both the iPad and another device at the same time.

This is from the instruction card:

"The ZAGGsparq can charge two devices simultaneously. However, when charging a large, power hungry device, such as the Apple iPad, you may not be able to use both USB ports at the same time. If you connect another device when charging a power hungry device, the ZAGGsparq may discontinue charging both devices. If this occurs, simply disconnect one of the devices."

- this is ok by me. i usually charge my iphone with its own power supply.

iFerd
May 13, 2010, 03:42 PM
I have this one for my car and it works perfectly. You can find it at usbfever.com. I have had my iPad, iPhone, and two DS's connected all at the same time and all charged. It was a little slower than plugged in by itself in the wall, but it worked.

http://www.usbfever.com/member/37704/products/smallimage/249_super_car_usb_charger_556.jpg
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered one. I was a little put off by not knowing the company or its reputation, but I take your experience at getting what you ordered as positive. How long did it take to arrive?

Hammie
May 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered one. I was a little put off by not knowing the company or its reputation, but I take your experience at getting what you ordered as positive. How long did it take to arrive?

Around two weeks. That was the only down side. It ships from Hong Kong.

eMagine
May 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
i'm doing the "charge 9 hours before initial use" thingy...
So I'm depleting my iPad and iPhone batteries right now.
Tonight when the 9 hours is complete i'll do a test on how long it takes to charge an iPad from empty to full with both USB's plugged in.

It takes about 2.5 hours to charge the iPad from empty to 50% on Spark's battery (not plugged in).

Beau10
May 25, 2010, 06:11 PM
For you guys who mention getting the Zagg coupon is it specifically for this promotion "Win an Apple iPad and a chance at a 50% off discount code"?

I signed up both of my workstations at work to different email addresses, roughly an hour ago. Still haven't received anything.