PDA

View Full Version : Good TV series/ Mini Series?

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 01:47 AM
can you guys recommend me some good shows to add on to my hd collection. So far I have the Office/Dexter/Nip Tuck/John Adams(LOVE THIS!)/Band of Brothers/The PAcific im trying to build up my media center

wvuwhat
Apr 25, 2010, 06:45 AM
Fringe - Amazing show

Chuck - Turn your brain off and geek out

The Wire - you will not be able to just watch one episode in a sitting, the seasons are also very different, but connected. Probably my favorite series, I've ever seen. But, no HD, it was shot in SD.

Eastbound and Down - if you like crude comedy, this is THE show, again, no HD.

If you don't own it on Blu-ray, get Planet Earth. It's pretty spectacular, even if you just watch and turn off the commentary.

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
Fringe - Amazing show

Chuck - Turn your brain off and geek out

The Wire - you will not be able to just watch one episode in a sitting, the seasons are also very different, but connected. Probably my favorite series, I've ever seen. But, no HD, it was shot in SD.

Eastbound and Down - if you like crude comedy, this is THE show, again, no HD.

If you don't own it on Blu-ray, get Planet Earth. It's pretty spectacular, even if you just watch and turn off the commentary.

thanks ill look into this, I've got planet Earth on blueray.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I watched a couple episodes of Modern Family and I thought it was pretty funny.

tman07
Apr 25, 2010, 12:19 PM
Im a sucker for House, so good.

A couple more in order of awesomeness:

Scrubs (new season sucks, old stuff is good tho, Not hd)
White Collar- So GOOD! and hd
Breaking Bad- Awesome Show hd
Top Gear (if you are a motor-head)- newer stuff is hd
Chuck (as someone said earlier)- hd i think?
Modern Family-not sure...
24-again, not sure
CSI (any, really)- newer stuff is hd
NCIS- newer stuff is hd
Big Bang Theory- hd
How I met your mother-hd?

That should keep you busy for a while

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 12:37 PM

Scrubs (new season sucks, old stuff is good tho, Not hd)
Breaking Bad- Awesome Show hd
Top Gear (if you are a motor-head)- newer stuff is hd
Chuck (as someone said earlier)- hd i think?
24-again, not sure
CSI (any, really)- newer stuff is hd
NCIS- newer stuff is hd
Big Bang Theory- hd
How I met your mother-hd?

That should keep you busy for a while

Scrubs and HIMYM are pretty funny shows the others I haven't watched ill look into them

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 12:40 PM
do you guys have any recommendations for a show like The Office? that kind of humor.

sammich
Apr 25, 2010, 12:43 PM
do you guys have any recommendations for a show like The Office? that kind of humor.

The IT Crowd?

Scrubs (new season sucks (couldn't agree more), old stuff is freaking awesome tho, Not hd)
Top Gear (if you are a motor-head, anyone who likes cars watches this show)- newer stuff is hd
24-again, not sure
NCIS- newer stuff is hd not bad, but it's a little for the older guys, it's JAG alright, but like, in production
Big Bang Theory - HD
How I Met Your Mother

Whoa...did you like look into my collection or something? :p

My list:

30 Rock, maybe
Fringe
House (Just. Plain. Awesomeness.)
Two And A Half Men
Burn Notice (Only just started watching from the beginning, like the random eps from tv though)
Underbelly (all of the 3 series from Australia. One episode is particular to me. Won't ever reveal which one though).

CJS7070
Apr 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
The IT Crowd?

YES. That show is hilarious!!!

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
any of you guys use usenet?

callmemike20
Apr 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
The Office, Nip/Tuck, House, It's Always Sunny in Philly, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm... I know there's more. I just don't remember.

callmemike20
Apr 25, 2010, 01:27 PM
any of you guys use usenet?

For the illegal download of movies and tv shows? No. And it's against the rules to talk about that here.

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
For the illegal download of movies and tv shows? No. And it's against the rules to talk about that here.

of course not :)

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
a few shows have been mentioned a couple of times so I will look into them so far:

Chuck
Scrubs
Fringe
House
Modern Famiy

phas3
Apr 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
The Office, Nip/Tuck, House, It's Always Sunny in Philly, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm... I know there's more. I just don't remember.

I loved nip tuck, BUT! the last season was kind of disappointing, I feel like they ran out of ideas

callmemike20
Apr 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
I loved nip tuck, BUT! the last season was kind of disappointing, I feel like they ran out of ideas

Yea, they should have ended the show at the end of the previous season.

colourfastt
Apr 25, 2010, 03:14 PM
Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister
Are You Being Served?
Grace & Favour
Keeping Up Appearances
The Vicar of Dibley
Absolutely Fabulous
The Office (the original (UK) version)
Fawlty Towers

Willowtree
Apr 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
Shows I am currently into;

Bones
The Mentalist
V
Cougar Town
Dexter (+1)
Greek
The Big Bang Theory
The IT Crowd (+1)
Spaced
The Inbetweeners
Sons of Anarchy

ethical
Apr 25, 2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister
Are You Being Served?
Grace & Favour
Keeping Up Appearances
The Vicar of Dibley
Absolutely Fabulous
The Office (the original (UK) version)
Fawlty Towers

Those are all really really old!! Funny (especially VoD), but very old... and I don't think would quite match the OPs HD collection.

I've just started watching Modern Family thanks to the recommendations in this thread. Loving it!

sandfox
Apr 25, 2010, 04:16 PM

Arrested Development. Best show ever!

Dagless
Apr 25, 2010, 04:54 PM
Not HD (except maybe Spooks) but some of the absolute best TV series of all time;

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Red Dwarf
Black Books
Father Ted
IT Crowd
Spaced
The Day Today
The League of Gentlemen
Peep Show
Spooks
I'm Alan Partridge
The Armando Iannucci Shows
Green Wing
Blackadder

Lloyd Christmas
Apr 25, 2010, 06:39 PM
Im pretty surprised that nobody has mentioned Entourage. I feel that is an excellent show and has good story lines. Hard to watch just one episode tho. Im starting to get in to Rescue Me with Denis Leary. Pretty interesting show. Band of Brothers was a great mini series. HBO did excellent work. Seinfeld another amazing show. I've heard great things bout Dexter, I wanna get into that show in the next few weeks. Curb and Sunny Excellent Excellent shows. I would recommend watching Life but I heard that some parts were CGI and the narrator I think sucks. <Oprah> Not really a fan. You could always mute it tho and watch it with no sound. Lloyd

rhett7660
Apr 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
The Shield (not all HD thou.... Don't know if they will release it even in HD)
Rescue Me (later seasons only, don't know if they have it on blu-ray yet thou)
Weeds

tman07
Apr 25, 2010, 07:08 PM
Whoa...did you like look into my collection or something? :p

Haha- I think we have VERY similar taste in tv shows :). House... I dont even know what to say. I LOVE that show... its kind of disgusting. 13? SOOOO HOT.

I may have to check out that IT show.. it seems to say my name all over it.. haha

abijnk
Apr 25, 2010, 07:37 PM
Well, I came in here to recommend John Adams, soooooooo...

*quietly leaves*

Denarius
Apr 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
Amazed that nobody's suggested the Sopranos! Truly awesome show.

sauced
Apr 25, 2010, 07:56 PM
- Lost (ugh I only have the fifth season on blu-ray, but all seasons are out on blu-ray now... I hate that I bought the fourth season like two weeks before I was given a blu-ray player)
- Chuck
- Mad Men
- Arrested Development (not on HD, but it's probably my fave sitcom ever)

phas3
Apr 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
FRINGE looks AWESOME!

NathanCH
Apr 26, 2010, 02:13 AM
Another vote for IT Crowd. That's 5 votes!

Seriously, you will love it!

Don't panic
Apr 26, 2010, 04:53 AM
lost (might want to wait for the summer for the complete collection)
californication
burn notice

danielcox
Apr 26, 2010, 05:18 AM
If you want something like the Office then what about the UK original - pair that with Peep Show and you're in for nights of awkward TV.

liza2010
Apr 26, 2010, 08:10 AM
I am addicted of Supernatural. I have seen its latest episode "Hammer of the god". It's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sammich
Apr 26, 2010, 08:21 AM
Haha- I think we have VERY similar taste in tv shows :). House... I dont even know what to say. I LOVE that show... its kind of disgusting. 13? SOOOO HOT.

Yeah, and they aren't even putting all that hotness to any good use. I mean that medieval dress was the best sight of her in a while.

I may have to check out that IT show.. it seems to say my name all over it.. haha

I channel flip onto that show occasionally, and it cracks me up each time. Like Scrubs, but British? Oh and clearly not about Doctors.

GoCubsGo
Apr 26, 2010, 08:25 AM
Another one for John Adams, Weeds, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, Flight of the Concords, Smallville, Modern Family, Damages, Fringe, and The Big Bang Theory.

charlesbronsen
Apr 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
Not HD (except maybe Spooks) but some of the absolute best TV series of all time;

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Red Dwarf
Black Books
Father Ted
IT Crowd
Spaced
The Day Today
The League of Gentlemen
Peep Show
Spooks
I'm Alan Partridge
The Armando Iannucci Shows
Green Wing
Blackadder

Great list! You forgot Snuffbox though...

phas3
Apr 26, 2010, 11:35 AM
great recommendations guys! I've got good list. One questions, do you guys watch your episodes on direct tv/channel or purchase it online? do you use a media center? if so what?

wheelerw
Apr 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
The West Wing. Older, and not HD, but such an amazing series. Bartlett for America!

ethical
Apr 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
great recommendations guys! I've got good list. One questions, do you guys watch your episodes on direct tv/channel or purchase it online? do you use a media center? if so what?

I stream it online since everything seems to air a decade later here in the UK (I know, slap on the wrist). But then I buy the DVDs when they come out, so I can put it onto my media server with Plex, and watch it again in better quality.

iBlue
Apr 27, 2010, 01:44 AM
If you want something with hilarious pettiness and cringe factor, Curb Your Enthusiasm is tough to beat.

SpaceKitty
Apr 27, 2010, 02:43 AM
My #1 favorite show that I am watching now is Breaking Bad. It is currently in it's 3rd season. I can't recommend this show enough, give it a try if you haven't!

30 Rock. I just discovered this show last week and bought all seasons in iTunes. Great and funny show.

Nurse Jackie. I can't describe this show but it is simply amazing. Edie Falco plays Nurse Jackie and she IS the show. Edie Falco has also been in 30 Rock.

Fast Forward seems pretty good so far. It has some similarities with Lost and I think ABC hopes it will be it's replacement. I'm kind of confused on characters though after watching the first five episodes.

Others have mentioned the Wire. I was disappointed in it and lost interest in it half way through season one. I had purchased all the seasons on iTunes and deleted all of them.

Another show with hype that I purchased and deleted was Supernatural. I made it through season one and wondered why I did.

Lost was a good show as well but I couldn't make it half way through season five before losing interest. I have not purchased the current season and I may delete the entire series as well. I'm just not into it anymore.

I have DirecTV but I hardly watch anything on it because I prefer to buy my shows in HD on iTunes, I don't have a HD TV. I have them stored on four 1TB drives hooked up to my MBP.

sammich
Apr 27, 2010, 03:44 AM
I've made a thread, please read the first post for the rules.
The Official MR TV Show Recommendation Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9772644).

I'll count the votes and post the top shows.

I've already done this thread's count to see what it'll turn out.

Votes Show
4 Dexter
4 The IT Crowd
3 30 Rock
3 Chuck
3 Curb Your Enthusiasm
3 Fringe
3 House
3 John Adams
3 Lost
3 Modern Family
3 The Big Bang Theory
2 Arrested Development
2 Band Of Brothers
2 Breaking Bad
2 Burn Notice
2 How I Met Your Mother
2 Nip/Tuck
2 Peep Show
2 Rescue Me
2 Spaced
2 The Office
2 The Office (UK)
2 The Wire
2 Weeds

phas3
Apr 27, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've made a thread, please read the first post for the rules.
The Official MR TV Show Recommendation Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9772644).

I'll count the votes and post the top shows.

I've already done this thread's count to see what it'll turn out.

Votes Show
4 Dexter
4 The IT Crowd
3 30 Rock
3 Chuck
3 Curb Your Enthusiasm
3 Fringe
3 House
3 John Adams
3 Lost
3 Modern Family
3 The Big Bang Theory
2 Arrested Development
2 Band Of Brothers
2 Breaking Bad
2 Burn Notice
2 How I Met Your Mother
2 Nip/Tuck
2 Peep Show
2 Rescue Me
2 Spaced
2 The Office
2 The Office (UK)
2 The Wire
2 Weeds

thanks for this sam!

kryten3000
Apr 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Breaking Bad
Bones
House
Law and Order: SVU

sammich
Apr 28, 2010, 12:02 AM
thanks for this sam!

Uh, that's not my name...

phas3
Apr 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Uh, that's not my name...

well I shortened your username to sam instead of sammich lol

phas3
May 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
what about some funny hd shows?

latergator116
May 1, 2010, 07:03 PM
I hardly watch TV, but I've been following Treme on HBO recently... its pretty amazing. I beleive its made by the same folks who did The Wire. Anyone catch this show?

phas3
May 21, 2010, 01:06 AM
man guys I must say chuck is awesome! I just got to season 3!

chuongster
May 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Rome on HBO was pretty good. Dexter is awesome.

phas3
Jun 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
bump

jayla
Jun 17, 2010, 01:34 AM
1. OZ (I'm really surprised to be the first one to post it)
2. The Wire
3. The Shield
4. The Sopranos
5. Battlestar Galactica
6. Lost

Funkatronic
Jun 17, 2010, 03:53 AM
Chuck used to be very good, but I think they've gone a bit overboard with the story in Season 3.

White Collar, as someone in this thread said earlier, is fantastic. Also, Castle is worth a look-see.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Southland. The second season ended a while back, and I must say, it is quite a brilliant show.

phas3
Jun 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
Chuck used to be very good, but I think they've gone a bit overboard with the story in Season 3.

White Collar, as someone in this thread said earlier, is fantastic. Also, Castle is worth a look-see.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Southland. The second season ended a while back, and I must say, it is quite a brilliant show.

Southland? is that the cop story in LA?

I don't know what the writers will be doing for chuck season 4 but I'm looking forward to it. I just got White Collar haven't watched an episode but will today.

I'll check out castle too

Teh Don Ditty
Jun 17, 2010, 02:37 PM
Battlestar Galactica (surprised it took until today for it to get mentioned)
Deadwood

Everybody else mentioned some great shows already.