Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damage00

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I've been reading MacRumors for years. It's the first place I go for all information Apple related.

The one thing that has bothered me is all of the invalid characters in the articles, mostly in quoted text. It looks like a problem with copying and pasting. Smart characters, such as left and right hand quotes, apostrophes, em dashes, etc., are improperly rendered in all the browsers. It makes it hard to read and looks unprofessional.

Firefox and Opera both show a little box where the character should be, while Safari just leaves it out. I've attached screen shots from these three browsers from recent articles.

These problems can be fixed in a number of ways but probably the easiest is to copy the text into a different intermediate source, one that doesn't try to convert characters into smart-characters.

Attachments

• firefox.png
    firefox.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 95
  • opera.png
    opera.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 69
  • safari.png
    safari.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 69

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
This is something that has been reported a few times if you search the forum (example). They usually have to manually fix it when they notice it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We regularly change these characters in news stories when we publish quotes, but we haven't yet automated the process. Since our users demand news that's as timely as possible we accept the occasional slip-up as the price of speed, but we fix the glitches when our users report them using the Contact form.

Eventually we'll make the character-handling automatic. In the meantime, thanks for pointing out the ones we miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.