Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
There is no such thing. Steam is nothing more than a distributor (such as fileplanet) with a client that keeps all of your games together and does a few other neat things.

Other than that, the games you play THROUGH steam have no connection to steam at all. Dragon Age is made by Bioware, Fallout 3 is made by Bethesda etc. etc.

Now if you are talking about Left 4 Dead, Half Life, Portal etc, those are Valve games. Valve just happens to also be the company that made Steam.

Oh and on that note, STEAM games are not being ported to mac. STEAM dosent make games. VALVE games are being ported to mac as well as the STEAM client.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My my my, how much urine was on your cornflakes this morning?

Steam does have an integration system though. It manages friends, achievements, DLC, groups, stats. I'd call a game with Steamworks a "Steam" game. It's a nice catch-all name that covers games bought on the Steam service.
Some people (like me) only buy games on Steam too. To me a "Steam game" is just a byword for PC game, I imagine it's the same for others too. It's like calling a game an "Xbox game" or "XBLA game"... it may be on PSN and Steam too but that's in essence what it is. A game... on Steam.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
There is no such thing. Steam is nothing more than a distributor (such as fileplanet) with a client that keeps all of your games together and does a few other neat things.

Other than that, the games you play THROUGH steam have no connection to steam at all. Dragon Age is made by Bioware, Fallout 3 is made by Bethesda etc. etc.

Now if you are talking about Left 4 Dead, Half Life, Portal etc, those are Valve games. Valve just happens to also be the company that made Steam.

Oh and on that note, STEAM games are not being ported to mac. STEAM dosent make games. VALVE games are being ported to mac as well as the STEAM client.

comic-book-guy.jpg

ikonq

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006

BRB, Going to listen to my iTunes Music.

By this logic; iPhone apps, shouldn't be called iPhone apps, they should be called 'Apps for the iPhone by Bjango/Firemint/Atebits/DeveloperNameHere' - Because the iPhone and the App Store are just the distribution client.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I lol'd at most of these responses. Good stuff! Always wanted to be compared to the comic book guy : )

Anyways didn't mean to come off sounding pissy. I just feel bad for some people who seem to think that every game you can get through steam is coming to OSX...I mean at this point they distribute almost every title that comes out haha.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
People are not excited because the arrival of steam means the arrival of every game on steam.
What people (gamers) are excited for are other devlopers taking notice that macs CAN BE gaming platforms.
If a large game development company like Valve (which has always been Anti apple and pro PC) can bring their whole line up + social/Distribution platform to OSX, then maybe other developers will follow..
The most probable games to make the switch are the ones available through steam.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
People are not excited because the arrival of steam means the arrival of every game on steam.
What people (gamers) are excited for are other devlopers taking notice that macs CAN BE gaming platforms.
If a large game development company like Valve (which has always been Anti apple and pro PC) can bring their whole line up + social/Distribution platform to OSX, then maybe other developers will follow..
The most probable games to make the switch are the ones available through steam.

/agree

serenade

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Damn, are you saying playstation didn't make little big planet, MGS or FFXIII? I guess that the shop lied to me when they had them listed as Playstation Games :(

EDIT - By the way in response to the true nature of your question, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. :) When people say 'steam games' they are just referring to 'games currently being distributed through steam'.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Damn, are you saying playstation didn't make little big planet, MGS or FFXIII? I guess that the shop lied to me when they had them listed as Playstation Games :(

You missed my point. People are talking about STEAM games coming to OSX this month. That isn't happening, a few games made by valve are. I think people have their hopes up thinking that games like Fallout 3 may come to OSX just because they are distributed by STEAM.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
You missed my point. People are talking about STEAM games coming to OSX this month. That isn't happening, a few games made by valve are. I think people have their hopes up thinking that games like Fallout 3 may come to OSX just because they are distributed by STEAM.

Actually most people say Steam is coming, not Steam games, and then talk about what games they hope get a true port soon thereafter. Valve already announced what titles are going to be made available on day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.