Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcoux09

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I've noticed that HDMI to minidisplay port adapters are really cheep on Amazon, but none really come from brands that I trust (like belkin, monster, etc...). With the minidisplay port now throwing off audio, I want one that can carry both audio and video, however I'm not sure that all of them do that right now. Apple does not sell any in their store, so can someone point me in the right direction here? A link, a name, one that works with both audio and video people are using now... anything would help. Thanks.

davidw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
New York City
I was wondering the same thing. Just ordered a 13" MBP and will need a Mini Displayport to HDMI dongle (preferably from a brand I can trust) that will transmit both audio and video. I'd like to order the best one available for the best price.

If anyone has any information on this, please post a link!

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2009
China
Well you should go on amazon and hunt down reviews on it.
Apple didn't change the plug. AFAIK all they did was flip a switch to enable audio..?

They all 'should' work, but maby the manufac didn't wire them for audio.

Mr Mot

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Don't bother with the neet cable from amazon, I bought it in anticipation for my new 13" arriving, could wait to try it!

It doesn't carry audio - they've now updated it's description to say that it doesn't and a firmware update will enable it.
I don't see how you can update firmware on the adapter? =\

The only one that Apple recommend is the Dr Bott adapter..

I've just bought one of the adapters mentioned above from ebay - hope it works for me too :)

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
its a digital connection. video quality will be the same. the only concern may be actual durability. monoprice has decent quality cables.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I was a little concerned about buying a cheap one from ebay at first but with it being at least 50% cheaper than a branded one I thought it was worth a gamble. It works perfectly transmitting audio and video and only cost £8. It looks and feels good quality too and the shiney white finish matches that of other Apple accessories.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Displayp...ing_Apple_Mac_Accessories?hash=item2c5435c78d

Can I confirm your testing of this with a macbook pro 2010 that it does indeed output audio? As I have been looking and seemly struggling to find one in the UK.

VaderMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Can I confirm your testing of this with a macbook pro 2010 that it does indeed output audio? As I have been looking and seemly struggling to find one in the UK.

Yes, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and the audio outputs fine to my Samsung LCD TV.

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES

What display options do you get on the samsung with it?
does the mac display settings give you options of 720p 1080i 1080p etc?

I bought the apple mini display port to DVI adapter as I already have a DVI to dvi cable for a monitor and a DVI to HDMI cable. I Bought the 17" MBP yesterday but haven't hooked it up to my HDTV yet.

Adapter still looks tempting though at that price though as I won't have to mess about with a separate audio cable and HDMI cables are more likely to be lying around that DVI to HDMI cables!

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants

Sorry to be a pain, I just emailed the seller and they said no, that is all. I just wanted to confirm it does. I have a sony lcd so can I confirm that all I have to do is plug in the cable. Go to mirror mode or export and then simply go to sound output and chose the telly.

Thanks for your help.

Mr Mot

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
I've ordered one shoppy, I'll let you know how it goes..

It's coming from Birmingham and I'm only 30 miles away so hopefully royal mail will have it here tomorrow :)

VaderMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
The mac display settings detect the Samsung and give the following options for my particular TV (LE32R87BD) including 480p which isn't shown in the image. However for my TV I have to select the 1360x768 to get a decent resolution picture. Any other resolution gives a poor picture. This is down to my TV.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
There's always monoprice.com

Their prices can't be beat.

Just don't use a credit card through their site. Use Google Checkout. They had a big data breach a couple months ago and I wouldn't use my credit card there again. I got lucky and haven't had any fraudulent charges, but my brother, who also ordered from there, has some unauthorized charges on his card.

VaderMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Sorry to be a pain, I just emailed the seller and they said no, that is all. I just wanted to confirm it does. I have a sony lcd so can I confirm that all I have to do is plug in the cable. Go to mirror mode or export and then simply go to sound output and chose the telly.

Thanks for your help.

I know it's difficult to believe people on the internet sometimes but I can confirm it does work and all I did was pretty much as you described and it worked. Through the audio setting you can flick between laptop or TV. I'll post a youtube video of me doing it later for you. I'll email the seller telling him it does carry the audio as he might want to change his ebay description. :)

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
bought it

well that's me ordered one.
If I'm happy with it I'll buy my brother one, though his TV only has one HDMI and he has an upscaling DVD player connected at the moment.

I have a full HD TV (1080p) so am hoping I can use that resolution through the cable, something in the manual suggested I could but I don't have it to hand right now!

If the makers of this adapter fully wired it to the apple pin specs then it makes sense that once apple enabled the audio it would work with a fully wired HDMI cable.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I know it's difficult to believe people on the internet sometimes but I can confirm it does work and all I did was pretty much as you described and it worked. Through the audio setting you can flick between laptop or TV. I'll post a youtube video of me doing it later for you. I'll email the seller telling him it does carry the audio as he might want to change his ebay description. :)

No honestly it is not you, I emailed the seller and got a snotty email of no are you dumb for asking type email. That was all, now she has emailed me again to apologise for her earlier email and to tell me that it does work. So ordering one now. Confirmed form her manufacture.

So all is well that ends well, I was going to wait for a neet update in june. OS thank you.

gatorfan787

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
No honestly it is not you, I emailed the seller and got a snotty email of no are you dumb for asking type email. That was all, now she has emailed me again to apologise for her earlier email and to tell me that it does work. So ordering one now. Confirmed form her manufacture.

So all is well that ends well, I was going to wait for a neet update in june. OS thank you.

I bought this one from Amazon (though used a seller who fulfills through Amazon for free 2 days shipping for Prime Members.

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272300104&sr=8-1

I guess it's the same as the monoprice one, but the price seems cheaper on Amazon. I can confirm that both audio and video work flawlessly (to a 46'' Samsung 1080p LCD and my Denon AVR-1909 receiver).

VaderMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010

No worries. I emailed her telling her it does work with the new 2010 MBP's and that she had just told somebody (you) it didn't. She apologised and said she'd check with the manufacturer. Glad she's confirmed it. Reading her response, it would appear English is not her first language so don't be too harsh on her. :)

I can still post a youtube video if anyone still wants proof?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
No I did not think English was her first language. However, I was going to reply with a thank you actually, after all has ended well. Thank you for emailing her as she confirmed in her email that a valued customer had informed her they do work with audio and she had this confirmed with the manufacturer. So a big thank you, :)
:D

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I received mine today cost under £8 and works amazingly well. I have full HD and audio on my sony telly. Thank you ever so much for the ebay link.

VaderMonkey

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
I received mine today cost under £8 and works amazingly well. I have full HD and audio on my sony telly. Thank you ever so much for the ebay link.

Glad you got yours and thanks for confirming it works well. Anyone unsure whether to go for it or not should feel a little easier with two of us advocating it. It's a bargain!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.