PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Grip Vue versus other TPU cases

greg555
Apr 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tried any of the other TPU cases available on ebay (and maybe compared them against the Belkin)?

The price difference ($5 versus $50) sure is tempting since the material is the same. So long as the molding is decent.

Thanks - Greg

soxfanreggie
Apr 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
The price difference ($5 versus $50) sure is tempting since the material is the same. So long as the molding is decent.

Keys:

1.) Does it have that horrible plastic smell?
2.) Do the openings line up?
3.) What is the protection like in key places on the case, i.e. the corners?

I really like my Belkin, and unless I could test something hands on that proves to be better, I'm using this one.

Blacklabel34
Apr 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Belkin Grip Vue all the way. Fits the pad like a glove while still keeping the slim profile.
My iPad wouldn't have it any other way;)

greg555
Apr 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Keys:

I really like my Belkin, and unless I could test something hands on that proves to be better, I'm using this one.

1) Bad smell would be bad. But perhaps all TPU smells the same.
2) That would be a problem if they don't.
3) This one looks pretty good. (As much as you can tell from photos.) http://cgi.ebay.ca/Clear-TPU-Soft-Gel-Plastic-Skin-Case-for-Apple-iPad_W0QQitemZ290415530514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439e1d5212#ht_3649wt_1058

Thanks - Greg

JayMysterio
Apr 25, 2010, 10:15 PM
I am currently using a silicone case from MyGearStore, that was $11.95. It doesn't even have a brand name :) it's just a silicone case. I got this now because I wanted one, and currently the bulk of cases KoffBelkinKoff are just too expensive. They are literally a 10th of the price of an IPad, for basic coverage. So went with this until mid May when a flood of cases should arrive, which should improve our choices, and perhaps lower the prices of some cases.

Does it work, does it do the job? Yes. Basic protection, keeps the back from getting scratched, it's all I ask it to do.

So...

1. Does it smell? No.

2. Do the openings line up? Yes, cause they hedged their bets, they cut the holes a little larger than the controls/ports, so no overlap.

3. What is the protection like in key places? It's just a great big piece of stretchable thin rubber ( insert your own joke there ) over your IPad, with the exception of the screen. The buttom does not cover the area over the home button as do the Belkin ones, it's basically like a silicone slip for the IPhone. The same thickness of silicone goes over the entire back of the IPad.

It's simple, it's basic, it isn't pretty. It's black, and it does have an interesting raised area in the middle that is flat. So it does follow the curvature of the bad, but instead of making it rock like the IPad does. The raising evens it out, making it stable, and rest flat on a surface. Nice bit. Also because of the raised area, there are two ridges that run along the sides of the IPad that give it a nice grip are for your fingers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/JayMax/Misc/securedownload.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/JayMax/Misc/securedownload-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/JayMax/Misc/securedownload-2.jpg

Zepaw
Apr 25, 2010, 10:15 PM
I never would have thought such a simple case could be worth $50. I would much rather pay $50 for this perfect case, than suffer with some cheap one.

h3nG
Apr 25, 2010, 10:28 PM
I am currently using a silicone case from MyGearStore, that was $

Looks nice...how is the fitting. Tight or loose? Is it really thick? I am with you about spending so much money on a case...scratches aren't really worth that much to me.

Malacoda
Apr 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
I picked up the Macally Metrolpad case for my 3G. What really drew me to the Metrolpad case was the four small studs on the back, as it seemed the added stability would make typing on it easier, if it is laying flat on a table. Anyone have any experience with both the Belkin and the Metrolpad and can say if the "legs" on the Macally case make a difference?

greg555
Apr 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
I am currently using a silicone case from MyGearStore, that was $11.95. It doesn't even have a brand name :) it's just a silicone case. I got this now because I wanted one, and currently the bulk of cases KoffBelkinKoff are just too expensive. They are literally a 10th of the price of an IPad, for basic coverage. So went with this until mid May when a flood of cases should arrive, which should improve our choices, and perhaps lower the prices of some cases.

[/IMG]

Looks nice but it sounds like silicone rather than TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane).

I like the idea of anti-rocking bumps or whatever on the back.

Greg

dojoman
Apr 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
Why hassle with returns and disappointment, spend that $50 for Belkin case. I went thru junks from HHI and gave up. The speakers cutout on Belkin case are the same size as iPad speaker grill and they line up PERFECTLY, quite a worksmanship.

BESLC
Apr 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
I had posted a similar question regarding the comparison. Even though I did purchase the Belkin, it seems that Macally has both the Metrolpad and the Flexfitpad which could prove to be a less expensive alternative. The Flexfitpad seems to be essentially the same as the Belkin for $20.00 less.

Hopefully there will soon be reviews on the Macally covers.

cmvsm
Apr 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
I had posted a similar question regarding the comparison. Even though I did purchase the Belkin, it seems that Macally has both the Metrolpad and the Flexfitpad which could prove to be a less expensive alternative. The Flexfitpad seems to be essentially the same as the Belkin for $20.00 less.

Macally screws their version up by thinking that everyone wants to read "Macally" in the middle of the Apple and iPad logos on the back of the iPad. Belkin takes the conservative approach, still has the word "Belkin" on the back, but its raised, clear, and towards the side, so you can't really see it. Not sure what Macally was thinking in this regard. I believe in branding, but when your $30 cover logo distracts from the $800 one, Houston we have a problem.

supermanx
Apr 26, 2010, 08:38 PM

I just got the flex fit and think it's great. All the holes line up perfect and has an excellent amount of grip.

As for the logo, I could care less and considering I picked up the macally for 18.99, I think belkin dropped the ball expecting people to pay $30 more for the clear raised letter logo. As an FYI, the macally logo is the exact same tint as the apple logo through the skin (dark grey not black) and not distracting at all... Everyone will still be able to see your sporting an iPad, superstar.

greg555
Apr 26, 2010, 11:41 PM
The Flexfitpad looks nice and the logo isn't overpowering. At least in this photo http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=315

Greg

nowstime
Jun 3, 2010, 01:23 AM
The Macally logo will go away with acetone. Just make sure to use a clean cloth when rubbing it.

firteen888
Jun 3, 2010, 08:53 AM

I got one of the $10 from Ebay

1. No, it doesn't have any smell at all

2. The openings line up perfectly

3. It fits and protects the ipad perfectly.

Just go for one of these off Ebay. If you get the Belkin you're spending an extra $40 for the name. I've tested both and there's really no difference.

ipadder
Jun 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
I got one of the $10 from Ebay

1. No, it doesn't have any smell at all

2. The openings line up perfectly

3. It fits and protects the ipad perfectly.

Just go for one of these off Ebay. If you get the Belkin you're spending an extra $40 for the name. I've tested both and there's really no difference.

Ditto. Granted mine wasn't eBay and was 15 dollars but it was still great.

Porshuh944turbo
Jun 3, 2010, 01:53 PM
I ordered a case on eBay for $8.99 shipped (yet to arrive) from imobile247 and also have the Belkin TPU case currenlty on the iPad. I like the TPU feel and the Belkin fits very well and is slim enough, I guess. I was hoping for it to be a little slimmer, but it'll do. I will post an update to this post when the eBay case arrives.

I'll say ahead of time, though, that the case I have ordered from the eBay seller more closely resembles the SGP TPU (http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1430)case, but I thought I would post anyway

http://img.igonemobile.com/img/?cmd=350&img=/sku/ipadtpuclear_back.jpg

Again, I'll edit this (if I will be able to) when the eBay case arrives.

jamesryanbell
Jun 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
Belkin Grip Vue all the way. Fits the pad like a glove while still keeping the slim profile.
My iPad wouldn't have it any other way;)

Agreed. It's awesome.

eTip
Jun 4, 2010, 02:27 AM
I ordered a case on eBay for $8.99 shipped (yet to arrive) from imobile247 and also have the Belkin TPU case currenlty on the iPad. I like the TPU feel and the Belkin fits very well and is slim enough, I guess. I was hoping for it to be a little slimmer, but it'll do. I will post an update to this post when the eBay case arrives.

I'll say ahead of time, though, that the case I have ordered from the eBay seller more closely resembles the SGP TPU (http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1430)case, but I thought I would post anyway

Again, I'll edit this (if I will be able to) when the eBay case arrives.

I have this case and love it. Fits like a glove and feels great in my hands. No smell, no other issues. Holes line up perfectly. Most importantly - no Belkin logo and no $50 price tag.

SchneiderMan
Jun 4, 2010, 03:14 AM
I would wait for iSkin's TPU. It will be just like the Solo case for the iPhone.

jefftroll
Jun 4, 2010, 07:13 AM
Just got my ebay TPU from hong kong yesterday. Nice tight fit over all. The side grooves have more grip than the main body. It actually seems just a tad thinner to me over the belkin TPU which I got to handle for a few minutes yesterday. If you are putting the case in / out a sleeve then this one works better because it does not have the same grip feeling all the way across the case. Hopefully my iphone pics of the case I took this morning will help some. I also have a clear TPU coming from a US ebay seller and should be here today or tomorrow. I'll see if there are any differences. The belkin TPU can be had at frys for $30 and I could possibly spend that much but for now this $10 shipped ebay TPU will work. I plan on using this until I find that perfect $50 case that has the style function I want. My next purchase is to find a folio that I can double up on with this. Using it in a netbook belkin sleeve at the moment.

jefftroll
Jun 4, 2010, 07:14 AM
A few more pictures.

vynn
Jun 4, 2010, 10:35 AM
That case looks EXACTLY like this one from SGP, reinforced corners and all.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1430

Penn Weizen
Jun 5, 2010, 08:42 AM
Just got my ebay TPU from hong kong yesterday.

How is the "grip" of this case? I've seen at least one review of these ebay cases that indicates they are smooth and slippery, unlike the Belkin.

Macdicted
Jun 5, 2010, 09:01 AM
None of theses look as good as the Belkin ,

especially with reinforced corners :eek:

jefftroll
Jun 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
How is the "grip" of this case? I've seen at least one review of these ebay cases that indicates they are smooth and slippery, unlike the Belkin.

I agree the belkin has more grip overall from the few minutes I played with it compared to this bay version i received. The eBay case really only has grip on those side grooves in the pictures.

And in reply to the other post, yes the belkin may look better but don't kid your self by thinking it looks $40 better. I'm not going to bend over for these case makers until something really strikes my eyes.

Macdicted
Jun 5, 2010, 12:32 PM
As far as Belkins price ? Your right my Belkin went back to the Apple store. I got a $15 knockoff from ebay that came with a screen protector. It's not as good as the Belkin but for the difference in price I got a Yoobao cover too. ;)

I actually like the knockoff as it is a lot easier to take off when I want to travel with the Yoobao. :cool:

iserian
Jun 5, 2010, 01:30 PM
Grip vue is 29 bucks if you shop around. At 29 it does the job when I want to go case-less.

SchneiderMan
Jun 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
Here's iSkin's new TPU for the iPad.. (http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/2010/6/4/new-iskin-ipad-case-sneak-peek.html)

KameronBriggs
Jun 5, 2010, 09:45 PM
Here's iSkin's new TPU for the iPad.. (http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/2010/6/4/new-iskin-ipad-case-sneak-peek.html)

That case looks amazing!
I wonder what colors they will have and the price.

SchneiderMan
Jun 5, 2010, 11:13 PM
That case looks amazing!
I wonder what colors they will have and the price.

I agree. They should have a few colors made and knowing iSkin, it would probably be priced at $40-50.

Penn Weizen
Jun 6, 2010, 09:32 AM
Anyone try this case from Monoprice? Clear, no logo that I can see, and under $10 shipped from CA to PA. Unfortunately, the volume rocker is covered. I don't like covered buttons, but if the case is grippy like the Belkin, I could live with it for the price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10843&cs_id=1084301&p_id=6929&seq=1&format=2

jeremy3721
Jun 6, 2010, 01:47 PM
I have the clear Belkin Grip Vue. Very Nice!

Blorzoga
Jun 6, 2010, 10:00 PM
I picked up the Macally Metrolpad case for my 3G. What really drew me to the Metrolpad case was the four small studs on the back, as it seemed the added stability would make typing on it easier, if it is laying flat on a table. Anyone have any experience with both the Belkin and the Metrolpad and can say if the "legs" on the Macally case make a difference?

I have the belkin and I ordered and received the metrolpad. I got the mcally because I had read that the belkin will interfere with the screen protector (not true) and also that the macally had a wide enough opening for the camera adapter (true). While it is true that I have to pull the belkin case down to use the camera adapter, the macally is very cheesy feeling. It has a big thick clunky silicone ring around the edge, and the clear plastic is hard and not grippy at all. It does have the four dots which makes it sit flat on a table, but that is no big deal. The Belkin is very nice, very good grip and very sleek. I don't know how other TPU cases measure up, but I think TPU in general is the ideal material for a case. I just picked up a Belkin gripvue for my iPhone at TJ Max for 7 bucks! Apple wants $30 plus shipping for the thing.

larryj
Jun 9, 2010, 09:40 AM
I don't care for those half-circle designs on the back of the SGP case. Does that make it more comfortable to hold? I like the idea of a matte back though.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IX2TLO/ref=oss_product which is the Luxo brand case and I've been really happy with it. The camera kit fits too.