Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007
I got my Hard Candy iPad Hard Sleeve a couple of days back and thought of posting my impressions on it.

I was looking for a sleeve which I can put inside a bag or a suitcase along with other travel items like laptop, camera, chargers, etc. When I saw this Hard sleeve on Hard Candy's website, I was totally convinced.

The outside of the sleeve is made of EVA-Foam which is quite rigid. It is more like very thick cardboard. Added to this, the inside of the front side has a layer of hard foam which sticks out in the shape of small squares. This inside layer would basically rest against the iPad's glass top. The rest of the inner surface (top and bottom) is covered by neoprene. The best part of this sleeve is the four rubber bumpers which can be stuck to the bottom corners. These stick via a layer of velcro and can be repositioned if needed.

The combination of the hard foam sticking out from the top surface and the bumpers on the bottom surface hold the iPad tight inside the sleeve and prevent it from moving side to side. The fit is perfect. The sleeve can be closed by the double zippers. The quality and finish of this sleeve is excellent and is worth the price.

Its really nice to see a company putting some thought and designing a case for the iPad which serves its function extremely well and also fits like a glove. I would easily recommend this case to anyone who is looking for protection beyond the basic neoprene sleeves.

Below are some pictures of this sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_7969.jpg
    IMG_7969.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7970.JPG
    IMG_7970.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7971.JPG
    IMG_7971.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_7972.jpg
    IMG_7972.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 165

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I got my Hard Candy iPad Hard Sleeve a couple of days back and thought of posting my impressions on it.

I was looking for a sleeve which I can put inside a bag or a suitcase along with other travel items like laptop, camera, chargers, etc. When I saw this Hard sleeve on Hard Candy's website, I was totally convinced.

The outside of the sleeve is made of EVA-Foam which is quite rigid. It is more like very thick cardboard. Added to this, the inside of the front side has a layer of hard foam which sticks out in the shape of small squares. This inside layer would basically rest against the iPad's glass top. The rest of the inner surface (top and bottom) is covered by neoprene. The best part of this sleeve is the four rubber bumpers which can be stuck to the bottom corners. These stick via a layer of velcro and can be repositioned if needed.

The combination of the hard foam sticking out from the top surface and the bumpers on the bottom surface hold the iPad tight inside the sleeve and prevent it from moving side to side. The fit is perfect. The sleeve can be closed by the double zippers. The quality and finish of this sleeve is excellent and is worth the price.

Its really nice to see a company putting some thought and designing a case for the iPad which serves its function extremely well and also fits like a glove. I would easily recommend this case to anyone who is looking for protection beyond the basic neoprene sleeves.

So the whole point of this system is just to be able to unzip and take out the ipad naked correct? The reason I ask is cause while I'd love to have the iPad bare, I want a case so I can have different angles for different uses as well. Upon that I'd love to have a sleeve like this that would fit the case it is in.

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007
So the whole point of this system is just to be able to unzip and take out the ipad naked correct? The reason I ask is cause while I'd love to have the iPad bare, I want a case so I can have different angles for different uses as well. Upon that I'd love to have a sleeve like this that would fit the case it is in.

Yes, this sleeve is designed to keep the iPad naked inside it. You can take out the iPad completely when using it, since the rubber bumpers are just meant to keep them in position and do not clutch the iPad tightly. You MAY also be able to use the iPad sitting inside this sleeve, but not sure if that would be a comfortable way to use the iPad

If you want to put the iPad inside a thin case and then keep the iPad along with it's case inside the sleeve, it MAY NOT work. You MAY be able to take out the rubber bumbers and gain some clearance space all aroung the iPad's sides, but still it may not be able to fit a case inside.

Let me know if this does not help.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
My only reservation about this case would be those hard blocks pushing on the screen. Do they leave any marks on the screen? Would it be possible to load the iPad into the case with the screen down? Thanks.

mtkagan

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
I know you said that this sleeve is designed for a naked iPad, but do you think it will fit wit a belkin grip vue installed on an iPad? Is there some room in the case or is it tight with just the iPad?

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
My only reservation about this case would be those hard blocks pushing on the screen. Do they leave any marks on the screen? Would it be possible to load the iPad into the case with the screen down? Thanks.
They're not hard, they're soft. They clean the screen too when in the case.

sterling3763

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I know you said that this sleeve is designed for a naked iPad, but do you think it will fit wit a belkin grip vue installed on an iPad? Is there some room in the case or is it tight with just the iPad?

According to this video (created by MacRumors forums user psychonaut), this sleeve will work with the Belkin grip vue and the switcheasy nude

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007

Those are absolutely soft. They do not leave any marks on the screen. They just add another layer of protection to the glass screen.

It is possible to keep the iPad screen down in the case. In my opinion it is not necessary and keeping the iPad normally would give extra protection to the glass.

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007

I do not have a Belkin Grip Vue and hence I have not tried it.

But you can reposition the rubber bumpers to create some clearance and that should be able to fit an iPad with some thin case on it.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
Those are absolutely soft. They do not leave any marks on the screen. They just add another layer of protection to the glass screen.

It is possible to keep the iPad screen down in the case. In my opinion it is not necessary and keeping the iPad normally would give extra protection to the glass.

Good to know, thanks.

lachyg

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Would you not prefer something like the Marware Eco-Vue? It has the basic protection, but you don't need to take it out of the case... Why would you go for a case like that, over one that you don't need to take out of? Interested in your opinion!

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Just a heads up Amazon is all about the glue

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Candy-Ca...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Would you not prefer something like the Marware Eco-Vue? It has the basic protection, but you don't need to take it out of the case... Why would you go for a case like that, over one that you don't need to take out of? Interested in your opinion!

Like any other Apple product, iPad is a beautifully designed device. It feels so good to hold it in your hands.

Using the iPad naked adds so much to the whole experience and having a case on would definitely dilute the experience of using it. It all comes down to one's preference :)

I also take good care of my devices. I've had the original iPhone for 2 years and the iPhone 3GS for a year. I basically use a thin leather pouch (Sena previously and Ikonic Edge now) for my iPhone and again love the feel of using my iPhone naked. There has not been a single scratch or dent on either of my iPhones :D

vijay007

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2007

Even I read another post in this forum about someone facing the same issue. But I also remember reading somewhere that this glue issue was there only in the first batch of cases they manufactured (Amazon might be still selling those).

I ordered this case directly from there website. I have been using this case for 10 days now and I have not faced this problem.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
I ordered the case yesterday. :)

I use my iPad naked, I just need a case for when I take the iPad with me when I travel.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Even I read another post in this forum about someone facing the same issue. But I also remember reading somewhere that this glue issue was there only in the first batch of cases they manufactured (Amazon might be still selling those).

I ordered this case directly from there website. I have been using this case for 10 days now and I have not faced this problem.

The first batches used glue and the glue did not set therefore causing a sticky mess in the case. Simply contact Hard Candy Cases and they will make good on it for you.

The revised version includes footers that have the velcro stiched on rather than glued on and this fixes the problem.

BIG BOSS

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
I ordered one from amazon and the bumpers were stitched in, not glued.

julieknits

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Pink $30 at Micro Center

I just bought the pink bubble sleeve at Micro Center for $29.99. I have no idea why they're selling the pink one for $20 less than the black, but I didn't want the black one anyway. It has the stitched bumpers and works fabulously with the Belkin Grip Vue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.