PDA

View Full Version : Photographers -Camera connection kit, MobileMe and remote desktop

Streethawk
Apr 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
The scenario is this, if i had an iPad 3G and i was out on a week long photography trip, would it be possible to upload full size RAW files (slow i know, but overnight if need be) into a MobileMe account, then use a remote desktop app on my iPad to retreive and download those RAW files onto my computer back at home?

sassenach74
Apr 26, 2010, 12:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sounds do-able to me, if not painfully slow.

ippikiokami
Apr 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
The scenario is this, if i had an iPad 3G and i was out on a week long photography trip, would it be possible to upload full size RAW files (slow i know, but overnight if need be) into a MobileMe account, then use a remote desktop app on my iPad to retreive and download those RAW files onto my computer back at home?

Is it really worth the extra trouble ? I've already crossed out taking the ipad out for a laptop replacement for photography. As photographers how many millions of things have we done to try to streamline our workflow. Does bringing the iPad instead of a small laptop (netbook, 13" whatever) really benefit you any over the fact that's it's cool and a little bit lighter?

mullman
Apr 26, 2010, 12:53 PM
Is it really worth the extra trouble ? I've already crossed out taking the ipad out for a laptop replacement for photography.

I'm hoping for an Eye-Fi iPad app.

danpass
Apr 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
does the OS recode RAW?
(the way it does to JPEGs ... better add that for the goofballs on here who consistently fail to apply actual thought to their reading)

I really don't see how it could (or even why it should) but if so it would be a deal breaker.

and if it doesn't how does it treat a RAW file anyway? Does it recognize it as a picture? because if not where does it go if the OS won't put it in the picture roll?

ippikiokami
Apr 26, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hey Dan, from what i've read (look in the accessories forum) It seems to detect Raws atleast Nikon ones fine. But not sure if it recodes them

danpass
Apr 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Ok, cool.

As we know the point of RAW is to avoid any in-camera processing lol

Streethawk
Apr 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
I was thinking of uploading overnight while docked, wifi or 3G. Then the following night download to the computer.

bpd115
Apr 26, 2010, 02:09 PM
Possible with Air Sharing or GoodReader, or you can just take the whole MobileMe/Remote Desktop part out and just upload to a shared directory on the computer

ippikiokami
Apr 26, 2010, 02:34 PM
I was thinking of uploading overnight while docked, wifi or 3G. Then the following night download to the computer.

Hey Streethawk. I think it comes down to what you use your photos for and how much you take. I was contemplating the same thing as you when I first got my iPad.

What i concluded was BY FAR the most efficient way is to have a small laptop and small hd. Dump the photos directly on the HD and also can have them tagged and initially sorted (delete etc). As soon as I go home all I have to do is import and done... Even just having the small laptop transferring once you get home would be much easier.

On the ipad it would be much slower to copy files over / sort them and you would not be able to tag them. And with your method you would be copying your library 3 times (2 much slower by uploading and downloading) without even having the first sort done. As time goes on your iPad will be filled with photos / videos / apps / etc that you want on there all the time. Eventually it wouldn't be enough room to fill a weeks worth of photos. If you end up constantly uploading and deleting once uploaded... you won't have the pictures to look at during the trip if you wanted to see them.

FunkyJunk
Apr 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
Do we know yet if a card reader can be inserted into the USB camera kit accessory? I use a D300, which uses CF cards rather than SD cards. Might be easier/quicker than using a straight USB cord from the camera to do the transfer.

Gav2k
Apr 26, 2010, 02:41 PM
Do we know yet if a card reader can be inserted into the USB camera kit accessory? I use a D300, which uses CF cards rather than SD cards. Might be easier/quicker than using a straight USB cord from the camera to do the transfer.

Not sure but you can connect the mini USB to USB lead to your camera and connect it to the ipad that way.

gibjer
Apr 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
I wonder if you used an app like FTP Photo Upload to say a server set up at home if it would upload the raw file or if it would grab the jpg equivalent.