Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alywa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Hey all... this is my first new thread...

I have an eMac, 1Ghz with AE card installed. I am currently connected to the internet wirelessly via DSL modem, through Linksys 802.11b wireless router.

I also have an iBook, 12" 1Ghz also equiped with AE card. It too is connected to the internet through ths same Linksys router.

I can connect the eMac and iBook through wireless network (ie can see each computer, mount each HD, share files). I can also use Rendezvous via iChat to transfer files (very quickly) to and from each computer.

I wanted to see how the range of the AE card in the eMac was while using it for internet sharing (thinking I could possilby get rid of my 802.11b router, instead using "g" via the AE card in the eMac). I hooked up the DSL modem directly to the eMac via ethernet port, and reconfigured the eMac to connect to the internet via DSL modem. This internet connection worked fine. I then turned on "internet sharing" via system preferences on the eMac, and shared "ethernet connection" to computers using "airport". The eMac showed the little antenna signaling that the eMac was broadcasting.

On the iBook, I was able to connect to the "eMac" network (different from the linksys network). I had full reception on the ibook (four bars), but could not connect to the internet. Network status said that airport network was connected, and that the internet was connected, but this wasn't the case.

The setup assistant wasn't able to establish an internet connection, either.

Anyone else have this problem? Does internet sharing work well? How is the range from the "base" computer?

Thanks,

-alywa

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I have had a very similar problem today & only have just sorted it out!!!

I have 3 macs on my airport base station, the g4 & ibook are wireless & the imac is conected via the 2nd ethernet from the airport. My wife uses her XP laptop to work from home, as it doesent have a wireless card I conect it to the back of the G4 & use web sharing. Today when she was using it we could conect to her works virtual network, intranet & email but the web was not working, I initially though it was something on the XP machine. Then I tried conecting my ibook through the ethernet & got the same problem. :eek:

It seems that the G4 firewall was causing the problem. When I turned it off it all worked again, so i had to open up port 80(http) & 443(https) & it now works with the firewall on!

It seems this has changed in the last security update & the last time we had the laptop connected a few weeks ago it all worked fine.

I hope this helps.

alywa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2004
I'll try it without the firewall...

Evil_Santa:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try (a little later... my wife is sick of me dealing with this right now ;) )

-alywa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.