PDA

View Full Version : Twelve South BookArc for iPad now available!

OpenThirdeye
Apr 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
I just received this email from Twelve South that the BookArc for iPad is now available. Looks like it can work with or without the Apple Case:

http://e2ma.net/userdata/1400299/images/e1272303411.jpg

Hello,

We are pleased to inform you that the Twelve South BookArc for iPad is in stock and available immediately at twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc_ipad (http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc_ipad). We have limited quantities available now on a first come – first serve basis. The product will be widely announced later this week but we wanted to give you the first opportunty to order your today.

Thank you so much for your patience and for signing up for this alert. We hope you enjoy your BookArc for iPad. Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with by contacting us at info@twelvesouth.com. To learn more about BookArc for iPad, click here. Visit our BookArc for iPad Gallery for additional pictures. Thanks again for your patience and support.

Sincerely,

Twelve South

BookArc for iPad Inside Tip.
We have been testing several cases with the BookArc for iPad and one of our favorites is the popular Apple iPad Case. It works with BookArc for iPad by removing the silicone insert entirely for portrait or landscape oriented storage. Flip open the cover on the Apple iPad Case and set it in BookArc to view movies, pictures, and slideshows hands-free.

http://e2ma.net/userdata/1400299/images/medium/e1272301062.jpg

Clix Pix
Apr 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
Oh, cool! I've been waiting for this to become available!!

MadDog31
Apr 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
I just got one of these. What I liked about it was I can set it up vertical *in a case* and charge it. I can also set it in horizontal mode.

I didn't care for the price, but what the hell. I'll just get one of those DIY stands cheap for when I take it to work. Thanks to the OP by the way for posting a shot w/ it in the Apple case. I'm gonna have the same setup.

Here's a shot of it...just waiting on the ol' iPad arrival this Friday...which is proving to make this week seem entirely too long already. :-/ This is a terrible photo but who cares. It gets the point across:

Clix Pix
Apr 26, 2010, 01:51 PM
Just placed my order for the iPad BookArc! My iPad and I will love it!

PhantomZone
Apr 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
costs more to send to the UK than to buy :eek:

You gotta love these US companies who can't see past their state line :rolleyes:

wilycoder
Apr 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
I just got this email too and immediately ordered!

They make great products, my BookArc for Macbook is great :)

TwoFive3
Apr 27, 2010, 04:37 PM
Placed my order too after going to best buy and buying the book arc for macbooks to try it out. I love it.....I can't wait until it gets here!

GoCubsGo
Apr 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
But does it display at an angle or it is straight up and down?

MadDog31
Apr 27, 2010, 05:15 PM
But does it display at an angle or it is straight up and down?

From what I've read and have been told, when the iPad is naked, there are two different ways you can display it -- vertically straight and also at an angle. One of the inserts has notches that'll allow this to happen.

I don't have my iPad yet to try it out (this is proving to be the longest week of all-time), otherwise I'd demonstrate through pictures.

Hope this helps a little...but it does indeed allow for angled viewing (two positions total).

noah82
Apr 27, 2010, 05:22 PM

You gotta love these US companies who can't see past their state line :rolleyes:

Why don't you blame UPS and FedEx rather than the company. They have no control over what it costs them to ship it to you.

master-ceo
Apr 27, 2010, 05:27 PM
Taking advantage of the free shipping! woot woot!!

arcsbite
Apr 27, 2010, 07:02 PM

they will appear in the uk shortly.
I had this issue with the Bookarc for macbook, but about 5-6days later they aeared by an official reseller on ebay and they included free postage

...fingers crossed.

MikhailT
Apr 27, 2010, 11:02 PM
Getting mine this thursday.

IgnatiusTheKing
Apr 27, 2010, 11:08 PM

1. It's a very small company.
2. As previously mentioned, they don't set shipping rates, the carriers do.
3. Because they are a small company, they don't get the benefits of better shipping rates that very large companies might.

arcsbite
Apr 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'm sure it's unlikely but I hope they release an iPad insert for the macbook bookarc.
I'm using mine for my iPad as I got rid of my macbook, it looks nice and fits ok but the fit could be better, and could be fixed with an insert

MikhailT
Apr 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm sure it's unlikely but I hope they release an iPad insert for the macbook bookarc.
I'm using mine for my iPad as I got rid of my macbook, it looks nice and fits ok but the fit could be better, and could be fixed with an insert

Have you try emailing them and see if they'll do it for you?

kepner
Apr 27, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm excited. Mine should be arriving Thursday afternoon.

arcsbite
Apr 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
Have you try emailing them and see if they'll do it for you?

I shot them a quick email when I heard about the ipad version being released a few dys ago.

SchneiderMan
Apr 28, 2010, 01:31 AM
I don't even know why i bought Apple's worthless proprietary iPad dock.. I'm getting the BookArc as well.

PhantomZone
Apr 28, 2010, 01:36 AM
Why don't you blame UPS and FedEx rather than the company. They have no control over what it costs them to ship it to you.

1. It's a very small company.
2. As previously mentioned, they don't set shipping rates, the carriers do.
3. Because they are a small company, they don't get the benefits of better shipping rates that very large companies might.

Can't believe I'm even replying - I order items from the states weekly - they could offer non priority rates which would be under $10....I'm not that desperate for a stand! The prices they quoted would get it here in 3 days :rolleyes:

they will appear in the uk shortly.
I had this issue with the Bookarc for macbook, but about 5-6days later they aeared by an official reseller on ebay and they included free postage

...fingers crossed.

Sounds promising :D

SchneiderMan
Apr 28, 2010, 01:40 AM
Can't believe I'm even replying - I order items from the states weekly - they could offer non priority rates which would be under $10....I'm not that desperate for a stand! The prices they quoted would get it here in 3 days :rolleyes:

I bet if you call them they will be happy to make you happy.

PhantomZone
Apr 28, 2010, 01:40 AM
dupe

kepner
Apr 28, 2010, 01:51 AM
I don't even know why i bought Apple's worthless proprietary iPad dock.. I'm getting the BookArc as well.

I'll probably hang on to the iPad dock since my iPod Touch fits in it.

rdowns
Apr 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
$40 for that piece of **** and it's not even adjustable. I'll stick with my $4 Michael's picture thingy.

Mr. Biggles
Apr 28, 2010, 06:11 AM
that piece of **** $4 Michael's picture thingy.

That really is a piece of ****** :rolleyes:

rdowns
Apr 28, 2010, 06:29 AM
That really is a piece of ****** :rolleyes:

OK, go buy a $40 piece of plastic. LOL.

The picture holder does a great job and can't tip over.

elleana
Apr 28, 2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up, OP, gonna grab one. Free shipping yay!

JtheLemur
Apr 28, 2010, 09:21 AM
I've got a BookArc for my MacBook Pro. Probably the best desk accessory purchase ever. TwelveSouth makes really good stuff, great folks there. My BookArc for iPad comes today, can't wait!

bpd115
Apr 28, 2010, 09:41 AM

It's steel, not plastic. :rolleyes:

elleana
Apr 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up, OP, gonna grab one. Free shipping yay!

Wow, I'm impressed. I got a tracking number literally 5 minutes after I ordered.

JtheLemur
Apr 28, 2010, 11:48 AM
Love the Twelve South folks. Awesome, as expected. Go buy now.

(Also includes second insert to support thin cases!)

http://j.mp/dbg9E6

TxMacAddict
Apr 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
Twelve South rocks. Very personal service and I got the email update as soon as they had them ready. I even got a personal response when I emailed them a few weeks ago asking for an eta. If I hadnt just ordered my MBP I would be ordering one right now. Gonna have to wait a bit but It is going to look sweet next to my Bookarc for Macbook and my 24" ACD.

Clix Pix
Apr 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mine's on the way, too! I'm looking forward to this, as it certainly appears to be both functional and elegant....just like my Macs and my iPad!

EthanNixon
Apr 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
That looks nice, I may have to invest in it since I care a lot about how the things on my desk look.

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
Mine has just arrived and it looks great! I am actually typing on the iPad in it right now and it works nicely. Very attractive and cool stand!

kepner
Apr 29, 2010, 01:07 PM
Just got mine. I love it. My iPad feels more secure in the BookArc than in Apple's Dock, so I don't feel the need to be as careful when I'm pressing on the screen. It matches the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard nicely too.

Also, it came in the nicest packaging I've ever seen. The "thank you" card that peeks through the slot in the BookArc was a nice touch.

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 01:13 PM
I agree-- packaging nicely done and like most Apple boxes can be used for something else. I also like the thank you --adds a personal touch. This works really well with the BT keyboard and complements it beautifully.

rkdiddy
Apr 29, 2010, 02:37 PM
I agree-- packaging nicely done and like most Apple boxes can be used for something else. I also like the thank you --adds a personal touch. This works really well with the BT keyboard and complements it beautifully.

Guys that have purchased this. I would love to know how it works with the Belkin Grip Vue.

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 03:17 PM
I have both the Belkin Grip Vue and the Apple iPad case, but haven't tried out either one yet with the Arc. The box includes a separate silicon insert for use when choosing to have something on one's iPad, and there are instructions for popping one insert out and putting the other in.....

ETA: Yep, works fine with the Apple iPad case! I swapped out the inserts easily and then inserted the iPad in the Apple case. Voila!

SchneiderMan
Apr 29, 2010, 03:22 PM

Stop trollin, it's solid Aluminum and you can have 4 positions. Looks the part too. Got money?

If the case you have on doesn't fit with the second insert then you can take it off and use it without, should fit np..

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 03:23 PM
I don't think I caught the response. Does it sit at an angle at all? What is this 4 positions you speak of TwelveSouth rep?

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 03:36 PM
To answer the questions:

Storage mode: iPad sits straight upright in either Portrait or landscape mode, when positioned facing the Twelve South logo.

Work mode: iPad sits at a (slight) angle in either Portrait or landscape mode when positioned facing the home button opening (cutout area). I fiddled with it a bit both ways to see which was more satisfactory while in each insert and it took some experimentation to get an angle with which I am happy, but it's definitely doable!

Because I'm lazy I'll probably just leave the 2P insert in all the time so that way I can easily stick my iPad in here whether or not she's in the iPad case, Belkin case or naked.

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 03:38 PM
But nothing that allows you to angle it slightly to type on with both hands right?

kepner
Apr 29, 2010, 03:39 PM
Does it sit at an angle at all?

Yes.

What is this 4 positions you speak of TwelveSouth rep?

From the manual:
Storage mode = iPad facing Twelve South logo
1. Portrait view (iPad sits upright)
2. Landscape view (iPad sits upright)

Work mode = iPad facing home button opening
3. Portrait view (iPad sits at an angle)
4. Landscape view (iPad sits at an angle)

SchneiderMan
Apr 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
But nothing that allows you to angle it slightly to type on with both hands right?

No, it will only be good to use with a keyboard.

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 03:43 PM
Right now I've got the BT keyboard out and am using it but my first post with the iPad in the Arc was typed (rather awkwardly) on the iPad's keyboard. I think the people designed this had the idea that purchasers would primarily be using the BT or other external keyboard. It IS possible to use the iPad keyboard with this thing, though. One thing which could be done would be to take the iPad out of the Arc stand and prop it at an angle against the stand.....when the iPad were in the Belkin or Apple case, though, so as not to scratch the back. I've done that before with other stands.....

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hrm ok thanks. I think it's best to keep with my Apple case.

Clix Pix
Apr 29, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have to say I really like that Apple iPad case and have no problem popping my iPad in-and-out of it as needed.....while I like playing with my naked iPad, too, I feel that she is a little safer when in something that is grippier. I also do like the angle at which one can type on the iPad when in that case.

rkdiddy
Apr 29, 2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the responses...might just have to pick one up. ;)

arcsbite
Apr 30, 2010, 03:55 AM
emailed them about the possibility of an iPad insert for those with the original bookarc....

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:24 AM,:

Hey, just firing you guys a quick question.
what are the chances of you offering an iPad insert for your loyal customers ;) that already have the macbook stye bookarc?
I sold my macbook a while ago but kept the bookarc because it's nice n stylish, I currently have my ipad in it, it looks great but could use some stability
cheers
Rick

-----------------------

Hi Rick,

There aren't any specific plans to make an insert for the BookArc for MacBook so the iPad will fit. The utility is just too different. The iPad needs to be held securely in both the portrait and landscape positions and be able to tilt and sit completely vertically in both positions in order to be optimally used. The center of gravity needs to be well balanced, especially when people are tapping and sliding their fingers across the screen while the iPad is in use. The button at the bottom center and all ports need to be accessible.

I don't know if a silicone iPad case might add stability or not. I'd hate to buoy your hopes too much because I just don't know.

And by the way, we appreciate our 'loyal customers' more than you know. Thanks for the question...its a good one and one we considered before designing the BookArc for iPad.

Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Regards,
Twelve South Support

Ducky280
Apr 30, 2010, 07:24 AM
this looks veryyyyyy nice indeed

master-ceo
Apr 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just received mine and its a beauty! From the packaging to the Aluminum (not plastic) Finish. Fast Shipping and excellent presentation.

http://i43.tinypic.com/rh7iao.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/15s4lyg.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2j0ngv5.jpg

wilycoder
Apr 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
got my bookarc yesterday.

however i cannot get the ipad with the apple case to fit in the bookarc, even with the rubber insert removed. am i doing something wrong?

SchneiderMan
Apr 30, 2010, 04:14 PM

however i cannot get the ipad with the apple case to fit in the bookarc, even with the rubber insert removed. am i doing something wrong?

Is the flap closed?

MikhailT
Apr 30, 2010, 08:38 PM

You're suppose to switch the insert. The second insert is for the shell cases and Apple case.

TxMacAddict
May 9, 2010, 07:42 PM
Just bought the iPad Book Arc and a Belkin Grip Vue and I'm not having any trouble using both together. Not sure what all the complaints are about the Book Arc not compatible with cases...

TxMacAddict
May 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
Here is a pic to show how well it works.

jonjons
May 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
I just got mine and like it a lot apart from it having a really sharp metal burr along the front edge. In addition, the corners are not rounded but a series of angles that suggest it was machined in a bit of a hurry.

Could be a QC issue due to high demand - I have asked for a replacement and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because otherwise, this thing is great.

One minor criticism (echoing the iLounge review) is that the alternative insert for case-enclosed iPads holds the iPad vertically - not ideal for viewing. 12South need to come up with a wider version of their standard insert that allows some lay-back rather than just a wider slot.

Seems like a cool company with a good product. I'm hopeful they will fix the
issue for me.

Jon

SchneiderMan
May 17, 2010, 10:59 PM
iv'e heard that 12south are updating the silicone inserts. When will they be available I don't know..

MacJones
May 17, 2010, 11:26 PM
Received mine today along with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, so far I like it a lot.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/ZJones13/8936cb40.jpg

SchneiderMan
May 17, 2010, 11:29 PM
Received mine today along with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, so far I like it a lot.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/ZJones13/8936cb40.jpg

Very nice setup you got there :)

Scott-n-Houston
May 17, 2010, 11:35 PM
I messed with one of these in the Apple Store. I had about 5 employees all experimenting with me because they didn't know whether to recommend it. After we were done, they all agreed that it SUCKED!

It didn't work well at all with or without the Apple Case. With the Case, it was 100% useless even though it advertises that it will work with a case, but regardless of which insert we put in, the iPad wanted to fall forward (glass direction!).

Then without the case, it was still just too stiff and unwieldy. I decided that just leaving my iPad in a case and using the case to set it up is more effective.

GoCubsGo
May 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
By design it seems more like a novelty than a useful stand for the iPad. It's a shame too because generally speaking the company makes good stuff (love their ACD shelf).

Macdicted
May 17, 2010, 11:51 PM
They are working on another insert to better accommodate a skin.

I was told they will send that 3rd insert to everyone that buys the stand. Free of charge , just contact them with shipping address.

MacJones
May 18, 2010, 04:01 AM
Very nice setup you got there :)

Thanks :) Usually my iPhone would be in the dock but I had to use it to take the picture so I threw the nano in there.

I messed with one of these in the Apple Store. I had about 5 employees all experimenting with me because they didn't know whether to recommend it. After we were done, they all agreed that it SUCKED!

It didn't work well at all with or without the Apple Case. With the Case, it was 100% useless even though it advertises that it will work with a case, but regardless of which insert we put in, the iPad wanted to fall forward (glass direction!).

Then without the case, it was still just too stiff and unwieldy. I decided that just leaving my iPad in a case and using the case to set it up is more effective.

Were you putting the iPad in the stand correctly? When you want to dock it straight up and down the screen has to face the "12" logo or it wants to lean forward. When you want it to slant back for a better viewing angle the screen should be facing away from the "12" logo. I haven't tried it with a case because mine isn't here yet but based on the youtube videos I watched it looks like there's a design flaw there.

By design it seems more like a novelty than a useful stand for the iPad. It's a shame too because generally speaking the company makes good stuff (love their ACD shelf).

I would agree unless you are using a wireless keyboard or just watching a video. Trying to type with the on screen keyboard with this stand would be very difficult which is why I ordered the Apple Wireless Keyboard with it.

Overall I'd give it a 3.7 out of 5 stars because you need a keyboard to make it functional. Other than that it looks good and does it's job of holding the iPad very well.

Scott-n-Houston
May 18, 2010, 07:02 AM
Were you putting the iPad in the stand correctly? When you want to dock it straight up and down the screen has to face the "12" logo or it wants to lean forward. When you want it to slant back for a better viewing angle the screen should be facing away from the "12" logo. I haven't tried it with a case because mine isn't here yet but based on the youtube videos I watched it looks like there's a design flaw there.

If I remember right, we set it both directions and it behaved the same...
(I could be remembering incorrectly though)

The packaging and the product were very Apple-like... it was well presented, but the execution just fell short. All of us Apple geeks were messing with it and moving it all around with no luck. I was glad I didn't get it before trying.

If yours works, awesome. :apple: I just couldn't get this one to work.

Chupa Chupa
May 18, 2010, 07:37 AM

Obviously they can see past the state line if they are offering to send it to the UK. Duh! (Apparently, not maybe).

The fact you don't like the price to get it to you is something you should take up with the shipping service -- just as if you don't like a companies price you should consider the VAT that is baked in and take it up with your MP.

PhantomZone
May 18, 2010, 12:21 PM
Obviously they can see past the state line if they are offering to send it to the UK. Duh! (Apparently, not maybe).

The fact you don't like the price to get it to you is something you should take up with the shipping service -- just as if you don't like a companies price you should consider the VAT that is baked in and take it up with your MP.

lol...here we go again....I order a fair bit from the US and it could be sent USPS or similar for a fraction of the price! I don't really need a stand on 3 day international priority!!

Anyway...they replied to me saying the UK Apple store should sell it at some point,

still looking for a decent stand UK side at this point...theres nothing but rubbish on eBay!

FrancisD
May 18, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have the BookArc stand, and my iPad wears the Belkin Vue case. Essentially this combo is unworkable and the BookArc is now an expensive paperweight.

It does fit in without the inserts, but it sits at an almost vertical angle that doesn't work for viewing.

I picked up a couple of $2 clear plastic plate stands, put rubber feet on them, and they work perfectly AND they fold up for putting in a bag.

Really disappointing, but that's the early adopter tax at work. =)

FrancisD
May 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have the BookArc stand, and my iPad wears the Belkin Vue case. Essentially this combo is unworkable and the BookArc is now an expensive paperweight.

It does fit in without the inserts, but it sits at an almost vertical angle that doesn't work for viewing.

Update:

I got a reply from their support within 24 hours of emailing them: they are working on the new inserts as someone commented above and will mail them out. If you have one, make sure you contact them and send your shipping address.

Nice to see a company step up and deal with a challenge like this.

Macdicted
May 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
Update:

I got a reply from their support within 24 hours of emailing them: they are working on the new inserts as someone commented above and will mail them out. If you have one, make sure you contact them and send your shipping address.

Nice to see a company step up and deal with a challenge like this.

Agreed , it's a bit over priced but they are doing the right thing as far as resolving the issue and taking care of their customers. Big plus in my book.

I love the design , and just may buy one after speaking with their CS.

jonjons
May 20, 2010, 10:28 AM
I agree with the previous poster regarding the quality of 12South's customer support.

I posted earlier about some sharp burrs on my BookArc. 12South responded promptly to my email and have sent a replacement by 2 day air with a return label for the original unit - These guys seem to be a quality outfit that are committed to maintaining a good relationship with their customers.

I still like the stand - a slight rethink of the inserts and it would be perfect.

Jon