Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designingdani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
louisville, ky
I am trying to archive some old files and free up some space on my hard drive and I have a large file that I can't move or save a copy. I keep getting an error code saying it is damaged "error code 2" whatever that means. Tried to exported to interchange to no avail. Everything is up to date. The file is completely workable. I just need it to be somewhere else. It's pretty large file (2.5 g) and I really need it off my hard drive. Any suggestions?

correction, it's actually 4.62 GB

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
To what medium do you want to move that big file and via what program (Finder)?
Do you know the format/file system of the target medium?

What Mac OS X version do you have and in what way is InDesign involved in this procedure?

You can
edit.gif
your posts via the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your posts.

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

designingdani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
louisville, ky
Mac OS X 10.5.8

I want to keep an Indesign (CS3) file and move it to my external drive: a little Western Digital Passport. Has plenty of room so space isn't an issue. I initially tried to drag and drop via finder. When that didn't work, I opened up the file and tried a save as. When that didn't work I tried to export it as an interchange file to the external drive.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mac OS X 10.5.8

I want to keep an Indesign (CS3) file and move it to my external drive: a little Western Digital Passport. Has plenty of room so space isn't an issue. I initially tried to drag and drop via finder. When that didn't work, I opened up the file and tried a save as. When that didn't work I tried to export it as an interchange file to the external drive.

And again: what is the FORMAT / FILE SYSTEM of the target HDD? It seems like it is FAT32 (MS-DOS), as it can't store files bigger than 4GB.

To find out, right-click on the external HDD in Finder and select GET INFO and look under FORMAT.

MacOSX_HD-Get_Info_window-S.png

If it is different from HFS (Mac OS Extended), that would explain the error, thus has nothing to do with InDesign but the file size and the format of the HDD.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
correction, it's actually 4.62 GB

it is a FAT32 (MS-DOS). available capacity is 121 GB though. that should be plenty of room right?

FAT32 can't write files larger than 4GB. If you can compress... anything to get it smaller than 4gb then you could try. Or try putting half the pages in one file, and the other half in another file.

The best option is to reformat that external to HFS+ for headache relief.

EDIT: d'oh forgot the simplest method, un-embed your links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.