PDA

View Full Version : Ipad 3G cases?

MarkK79
Apr 26, 2010, 03:37 PM
The 3G version of the Ipad is a few millimeters longer and a few millimeters wider that the Wi-fi version. It is also .1 pounds heavier.

In addition, it has the black bar antennae on the back.

Will the 3G require different size cases to account for its slightly larger size? And is it likely that the antennae area will need to be "uncovered" for proper
3G reception?

I would like to order a case in advance of my 3G but I am thinking that a lot of these cases will not fit and may interefere with reception. Thoughts?

munckee
Apr 26, 2010, 04:12 PM
This is the first I've heard of any difference in physical dimensions. Where did you see that info?

Chris Rogers
Apr 26, 2010, 04:20 PM
Will the 3G require different size cases to account for its slightly larger size? And is it likely that the antennae area will need to be "uncovered" for proper
3G reception?

Nope. Apple made an iPad case, not 2 different cases. And as long as the case doesn't block the signal, you're good to go!

ScubaCinci
Apr 26, 2010, 04:28 PM
The 3G version of the Ipad is a few millimeters longer and a few millimeters wider that the Wi-fi version. It is also .1 pounds heavier.

The only accurate part of the above is the .1lb heavier. The dimensions are exactly the same as listed on Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/).

MarkK79
Apr 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
According to iLounge, it is slightly bigger:

www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/fcc-filings-show-ipad-wi-fi-3g-is-larger/

ovrlrd
Apr 26, 2010, 06:16 PM
According to iLounge, it is slightly bigger:

www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/fcc-filings-show-ipad-wi-fi-3g-is-larger/

I think the answer to this mystery is that the size of the 3G and the Wi-Fi model are identical, however the sizes on Apple's website aren't exact measurements while the FCC filing on iLounge is more precise. We don't know for sure since the FCC filings on the Wi-Fi only model do not list the measurements at all. I would say it is safe to dismiss the claim that there is a size difference.

bluespark
Apr 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
I think the answer to this mystery is that the size of the 3G and the Wi-Fi model are identical, however the sizes on Apple's website aren't exact measurements while the FCC filing on iLounge is more precise. We don't know for sure since the FCC filings on the Wi-Fi only model do not list the measurements at all. I would say it is safe to dismiss the claim that there is a size difference.

This is very probably correct. Also, the reported size difference on iLounge is only .3 mm in the longest direction -- not exactly a "few millimeters" longer as stated in the original post. This is a negligible difference, if it even exists.

kloan
Apr 26, 2010, 10:06 PM
Apple isn't going to have two different enclosures, screens, etc to accommodate what is rumored to be a "few millimeters" as they would certainly have to do if that were truly the case.

I think it's reasonable to assume iPad cases will fit either model.