PDA

View Full Version : UK iPad Cases

AppleSimon
Apr 26, 2010, 04:00 PM
I got my iPad on Friday, and I am just using a Neoprene sleeve at the moment to protect it whilst carrying it around, but it is completely naked when in use. So I am looking for some protection.

I have been following the threads posted on here very closely and have finally come up with the best solution for me..

So, I want the HardCandy Hard Shell Case to carry my iPad around and keep it fully protected.

And when in use I want the Belkin Grip Vue (Clear).

I have no problem spending this $80 or so on these items, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the UK or for UK shipping.

On Belkin's website, no clear case is listed, on Amazon they want $70 for it and I don't think that can be posted over here.

The HardCandy Case however can be shipped to the UK at a cost of $40, I mean that's ridiculous. So if anyone has any idea's/help for me that would be greatly appreciated. I have also tried eBay.com and eBay.co.uk to no avail.

Wyrdo
Apr 27, 2010, 04:07 AM
I'm in the same situation, I've been looking at the Hard Candy cases but can't find anywhere in the UK to purchase :(

AppleSimon
Apr 27, 2010, 06:36 AM
I'm in the same situation, I've been looking at the Hard Candy cases but can't find anywhere in the UK to purchase :(

Yes its very annoying. I might just buy a cheaper silicon/gel case from eBay for the time being and when it gets released here I'm sure more will be released.

Zepaw
Apr 27, 2010, 06:52 AM
find that Grip Vue if you can, I love it. Wish I knew where you could get it, I just have to walk in the store. (not to rub it in :p)

Also, I wish I knew why Amazon only has it for $70. I noticed that too and it makes no sense.

AppleSimon
Apr 27, 2010, 09:56 AM
find that Grip Vue if you can, I love it. Wish I knew where you could get it, I just have to walk in the store. (not to rub it in :p)

Also, I wish I knew why Amazon only has it for $70. I noticed that too and it makes no sense.

Haha stop rubbing it in. Buy one for me and ship it over :D

vito
Apr 27, 2010, 11:12 AM
I could really do with a case, a wallet/sleeve or something alike.

amt2002
May 4, 2010, 05:36 AM
Give it time, hopefully both these cases will be available in the UK when the product launches at the end of the month.

PS I too have decided on Belkin clear vue + hard candy case for my ipad :D

pbtterworth
May 4, 2010, 05:57 AM
I agree, it's an issue at the moment.

For an interim cheap solution I went for the Kensington reversible sleeve for notebooks. It is a bit loose, but keeps it safe for now. You can pick one up for under a tenner on Amazon.

Paul

-SD-
May 4, 2010, 02:55 PM
I'm hoping Paul Smith will release an iPad case upon its release in the UK. I have the PS leather iPhone case and it's great.

:apple:

zen
May 5, 2010, 04:53 AM
Clear Belkin Grip Vue and a Hard Candy Bubble case for me. I'm tempted just to order them both from the US via Bundlebox.

No doubt it's too early to be looking at UK case suppliers, but when the iPhone and iPod touch were launched here, what was the lead time on cases? For example, there are a tonne of Belkin Grip Vue iPhone cases available here, so presumably the iPhone was once in the same position as the iPad.

Also, am I the only person who wants the Bubble case because it looks like Dalek technology? No?

marcopolo007uk
May 5, 2010, 06:36 AM
If your looking for a short term UK solution eCell sell a cheap iPad case for 9.95 on eBay. I've done a quick review.

http://www.ipad-review.co.uk/2010/05/ecell-ipad-case-available-in-uk-now/

It will keep my iPad safe until I can find a nice case in the UK.

cRuNcHiE
May 5, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've got one of these on the way,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250624546027&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2547wt_948

Should be here tomorrow. Looks just like the belkin to be honest? There's also a "iPad tire case" which looks more rubbery

I already have a silicone case but the sides do tend to pull away as the iPad is so long, hopefully the above tougher plastic case will be fine

LaNex
May 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
I've got one of these on the way,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250624546027&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2547wt_948

Should be here tomorrow. Looks just like the belkin to be honest? There's also a "iPad tire case" which looks more rubbery

I already have a silicone case but the sides do tend to pull away as the iPad is so long, hopefully the above tougher plastic case will be fine

Have you got this yet ? If so I would be interested in what it's like. I need a case for my iPad (when I get it) that I can attach some very heavy duty velcro like stuff to and wondered if this were suitable.

Gav2k
May 8, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've got the apple case on it's way should be here Monday.

ArsDigitalis
May 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
If you don't mind expending $ 80, check the DODOcase at dodocase.com.
Worth the money.

I got my iPad on Friday, and I am just using a Neoprene sleeve at the moment to protect it whilst carrying it around, but it is completely naked when in use. So I am looking for some protection.

I have been following the threads posted on here very closely and have finally come up with the best solution for me..

So, I want the HardCandy Hard Shell Case to carry my iPad around and keep it fully protected.

And when in use I want the Belkin Grip Vue (Clear).

I have no problem spending this $80 or so on these items, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the UK or for UK shipping.

On Belkin's website, no clear case is listed, on Amazon they want $70 for it and I don't think that can be posted over here.

The HardCandy Case however can be shipped to the UK at a cost of $40, I mean that's ridiculous. So if anyone has any idea's/help for me that would be greatly appreciated. I have also tried eBay.com and eBay.co.uk to no avail.

suffy67
May 9, 2010, 05:50 AM
Hello

I purchased a Belkin notebook sleeve from PC-World for 14 reduced from 24. The store went mad when I pulled out my iPad. I had over 20 people looking at my iPad.

I also got a blue skin case cover off bay. 4.99 and free postage from seller poogie7. Very good service.

Regards

Suffy :apple::apple:

christof
May 9, 2010, 05:59 AM
I really like my Wrappers UK shiny sleeve for my MacBook Air that I've had for a couple years now; the pieces are hand-made by a woman in Oxford. I'm still waiting for my shiny sleeve order for iPad that I placed with her on the 4th. I plan to use it in conjunction with the SwitchEasy NUDE UltraClear, which I've had for a day and really like!

zerolight
May 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
According to hard candy on Twitter they are doing free shipping to Europe. Sure enough one of their shipping options is UPS Ground Europe which is free. I've ordered a bubble case. Will report back when it ships. I don't think it'll really ship by ground though. ;)

zen
May 10, 2010, 01:03 PM
According to hard candy on Twitter they are doing free shipping to Europe. Sure enough one of their shipping options is UPS Ground Europe which is free. I've ordered a bubble case. Will report back when it ships. I don't think it'll really ship by ground though. ;)

Are you sure? All shipping options still say $40 for me, if I load my cart up at hardcandycases.com.

zerolight
May 10, 2010, 01:49 PM
Are you sure? All shipping options still say $40 for me, if I load my cart up at hardcandycases.com.

I'm certain. I used the pay via pay pal option, and on the final confirmation screen before payment it had the total, with $40. I chose Ground Europe and it changed to $0. I did it a few times with different items before settling on the bubble case.

Seamaster
May 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
I pre-ordered a Sena ultraslim leather sleeve for my iPad. They ship internationally via FedEx for a flat rate of $9.99 (6.73).

http://www.senacases.com/apple/apple-ipad-cases/ultraslim-cases/

zerolight
May 11, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hard Candy just shipped my bubble case to uk via ups. Free shipping.

Nipz
May 11, 2010, 05:35 AM
Hard Candy just shipped my bubble case to uk via ups. Free shipping.

Just ordered mine with the free shipping! $58 in total!

Looks a great case!

zen
May 11, 2010, 05:36 AM
Do you think these will be stung by customs and/or VAT on arrival in the UK? I'm about ready to order I think...

Nipz
May 11, 2010, 05:40 AM
Do you think these will be stung by customs and/or VAT on arrival in the UK? I'm about ready to order I think...

Shouldn't have to pay anything as it's under the 40 limit I believe! Correct me if I'm wrong :)

zen
May 11, 2010, 05:42 AM
Shouldn't have to pay anything as it's under the 40 limit I believe! Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I thought the limit was 18? A case for $58 comes out to 39, which would be perfect if the limit was 40.

Nipz
May 11, 2010, 05:48 AM
I thought the limit was 18? A case for $58 comes out to 39, which would be perfect if the limit was 40.

Just checked my UPS slip from my iPad and it does say 18 as a limit. I'm 100% I read something about a 40 limit on something.

zerolight
May 11, 2010, 06:06 AM

The price is 49.95 then they add on 8 ish dollars for Taxes. Which appears to be exactly 17.5% so I assume they are adding UK VAT and having UPS pay that as they bring it through customs. Better be! :D

zerolight
May 11, 2010, 06:09 AM
I also ordered a clear nude switcheasy for the iPad and a black one for my iPod. They had a shipping rate of 10 euros, so that's why I bought both iPad and iPod, brought the shipping to 5 euros on each which felt less painful than 10 euros on the iPad alone.

Nipz
May 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
The price is 49.95 then they add on 8 ish dollars for Taxes. Which appears to be exactly 17.5% so I assume they are adding UK VAT and having UPS pay that as they bring it through customs. Better be! :D

I really hope so too!

Nipz
May 12, 2010, 02:59 AM

What is the latest on your tracking info? Mine is waiting to leave the US.

zerolight
May 12, 2010, 03:33 AM
Just checked - it's cleared customs at East Midlands Airport. I guess it'll be out for delivery tomorrow.

BergerFan
May 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
I got a 2.99 sleeve from Amazon, to tide me over until the proper cases begin shipping from the UK. I'm not paying over the odds for shipping of a case from the US. I paid priority USPS shipping + the other fees for the actual iPad, but not for any accessories.

zerolight
May 12, 2010, 07:46 AM
I got a 2.99 sleeve from Amazon, to tide me over until the proper cases begin shipping from the UK. I'm not paying over the odds for shipping of a case from the US. I paid priority USPS shipping + the other fees for the actual iPad, but not for any accessories.

Read through the thread - Hard Candy are only selling directly and offer free shipping to the UK.

Nipz
May 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
Read through the thread - Hard Candy are only selling directly and offer free shipping to the UK.

Did you get your case today?

page3
May 13, 2010, 11:34 AM
I just sent Crumpler an email asking if they had any iPad bags/sleeves planned.

They replied three minutes later (!) that two are in the pipeline. :D

zerolight
May 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
Mine arrives tomorrow. Vat to pay so they refunded me the taxes they charged.

Nipz
May 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Mine arrives tomorrow. Vat to pay so they refunded me the taxes they charged.

How much are they charging?

zerolight
May 13, 2010, 12:30 PM
Not sure if it's vat and duty or just vat. The vat was the taxes that hard candy had charged me and now refunded, so 8.7 dollars. If there's duty it'll be buttons on top of the vat. Worth noting that they now have a uk option on their site shipped from Ireland. If you end up paying uk vat then email hc and they'll refund te vat they charged. They are supposed to pre pay that to ups for you.

JonnyIreland
May 13, 2010, 12:31 PM

I love Crumpler gear, I have matching "Gimp" cases for my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPod :D

Nipz
May 13, 2010, 12:37 PM
Not sure if it's vat and duty or just vat. The vat was the taxes that hard candy had charged me and now refunded, so 8.7 dollars. If there's duty it'll be buttons on top of the vat. Worth noting that they now have a uk option on their site shipped from Ireland. If you end up paying uk vat then email hc and they'll refund te vat they charged. They are supposed to pre pay that to ups for you.

Would of been nice before our orders! :)

DKatri
May 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Really tempted by the DODOcase. Just a bit spendy really. But it is beautiful.

Nipz
May 13, 2010, 03:57 PM

Awesome! My case is now in the UK so hope it goes through customs tonight and gets through fast :)

ShOw44
May 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
I got my ipad the other week. Love it but terrified of getting it scratched! With a bit of searching on the Internet found a pretty decent site for cases.
I ended up buying a clear hard case that clips on - was delivered in just a couple of days. It's really durable & you wouldn't even tell a case is on it!
Well worth the money:

www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/ipadpart2432.html

Nipz
May 14, 2010, 07:51 AM
zerolight you found out how much you have to pay yet?

Seamaster
May 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
Really tempted by the DODOcase. Just a bit spendy really. But it is beautiful.

I love the concept, but I'm waiting to read some more real world opinions before I stump up the oof for one.

guicane
May 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
These people (http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/apple-ipad/) make very good quality cases for everything, and specially apple devices. I had a case from them for my first gen iPhone and it was made with great quality! Highly recommend!

peskaa
May 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have a DODOcase on order!

millypede
May 15, 2010, 09:05 AM

Not true I have them on order to sell for launch day.

AnDi86
May 23, 2010, 06:47 AM
my Belkin sleeve arrived yesterday and my switcheasy nude is still en route, hopefully getting it before the iPad arrives on Friday!

zerolight
May 23, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm still waiting on a refund for my iPad nude case. Now my two week old iPod nude has cracked. Not very happy. I'm quite happy with my hard candy bubble case, though the interior is not as well finished as I'd have expected and a screw up on their part has resulted in 11 ups handling charges over and above the taxes. It's not been my best set of purchases, the total cost of which came close to 75% of a vaja too. Beginning to think that might have been a cheaper option long term.

wodeh
May 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
I just posted my review of the Tuff Luv Multi-View iPad case. It's pretty good, and an absolute steal at 39.99 for a leather case with 5 stand positions.

Link:

http://www.gadgetoid.com/2010/05/23/tuff-luv-multi-view-leather-ipad-case-and-stand-review/

Probably the best balance of functionality/affordability that I've tested yet, and it's available in pink/brown/red too. Bit of a naff colour choice, but black should do the trick!

Ovek
May 23, 2010, 03:51 PM
You can get the Griffin Elan passport case and the MacAlly Bookstand directly in the UK from Cancom... both in stock at the moment.

http://www.cancomuk.com/Search?for=ipad

Gordy
May 23, 2010, 05:27 PM

Cool, I love crumpler cases. I've got a small case for my netbook. I just need a sleeve for the ipad itself.

SOLLERBOY
May 24, 2010, 05:48 AM
Are the hard candy cases any good??? They have a UK store and are charging 45 for the bubble. I'm really only after a screen protector at this time but you can't get the powersupport here.

wodeh
May 24, 2010, 06:02 AM
Are the hard candy cases any good??? They have a UK store and are charging 45 for the bubble. I'm really only after a screen protector at this time but you can't get the powersupport here.

I'm still waiting for samples from Hard Candy, but will let you know (if I get them in time)

Proporta.com do an iPad screen protector, but I wish you the best of luck applying it to your screen. I've never successfully adhered a screen protector to a phone screen, I'm not even going to try with the iPad... well outside of reviewing the darn things.

SOLLERBOY
May 24, 2010, 06:20 AM
great help. Thanks. I ordered a proporta protector

zerolight
May 24, 2010, 06:22 AM

The Bubble Case is great. I'm not overly impressed with the finishing inside - a lot of effort has gone into sewing down all the seems nicely, except where the internal piping meets at the middle, it just seems to over lap with a bit of glue. It just doesn't look that great, and on mine, inside at the kinda book join for lack of a better word, the lining is a bit creased and untidy looking. For the money, the interior isn't quite what I expected. The outer shells seems sold and looks like it'll last though. I'm not sure they are worth the money - particularly as I ended up getting stung for 11 quid in handling on top of taxes because they screwed yup the shipping, bringing mine to a cost of near of around 55. It's good enough that I'd probably shop with them again via their new UK store to try some of their other products.

zen
May 24, 2010, 06:43 AM
The Bubble Case is great. I'm not overly impressed with the finishing inside - a lot of effort has gone into sewing down all the seems nicely, except where the internal piping meets at the middle, it just seems to over lap with a bit of glue. It just doesn't look that great, and on mine, inside at the kinda book join for lack of a better word, the lining is a bit creased and untidy looking. For the money, the interior isn't quite what I expected. The outer shells seems sold and looks like it'll last though. I'm not sure they are worth the money - particularly as I ended up getting stung for 11 quid in handling on top of taxes because they screwed yup the shipping, bringing mine to a cost of near of around 55. It's good enough that I'd probably shop with them again via their new UK store to try some of their other products.

My Bubble Case arrived today from Ireland, as I used the UK ordering option. Mine seems okay - neat seams everywhere, pretty tidy. There is overlap in the centre on the inside where the piping meets in the middle, but it's no biggie.

wodeh
May 24, 2010, 06:54 AM
great help. Thanks. I ordered a proporta protector

No problemo! Let me know how it goes, I've got one ready to apply to my iPad, but I think it'll end up getting thrown away. I like the finish on the Proporta screen protectors, I recently replaced one on my N900 with the protector that came with an OtterBox, and I'm missing the Proporta one already. It does slightly distort the image on close inspection, but it's smooth and not prone to smudges.

For anyone else who's looking for the iPad screen protector, a lovely affiliate link directly to the product in question is below :)

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4953&t_mode=des&affiliate=gadgetoid

bastband
May 25, 2010, 04:37 PM
Forgive my ignorance re Hard Candy items, is the Bubble a rigid case?
I have a very flimsy 10" netbook one at present, I am frightened to take it out in it...

zerolight
May 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
Forgive my ignorance re Hard Candy items, is the Bubble a rigid case?
I have a very flimsy 10" netbook one at present, I am frightened to take it out in it...

Yup rigid and light.

newbuyer
May 25, 2010, 06:24 PM
has anybody come across a comparison review between pdair vs piel frama leather folio cases. does it worth the price difference , are they the same thickness ...?

SchneiderMan
May 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
Proporta (http://proporta.com) has some iPad cases and sleeves. They are based in the UK.

ddk121
May 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320530676725&Category=31521&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I just ordered one of these, they seem to be having good reviews in this forum!

olisones
May 26, 2010, 01:33 PM
For us impatient people in the UK who have an iPad already, I wonder whether it will be easy enough to walk into an Apple store on Friday and pick up a case? Or will they sell out in an instant?!

peskaa
May 26, 2010, 02:32 PM
For us impatient people in the UK who have an iPad already, I wonder whether it will be easy enough to walk into an Apple store on Friday and pick up a case? Or will they sell out in an instant?!

Sell out in 30 seconds flat. I'd reckon that 90% of the people buying an iPad in-store is going to want a case, and Apple already have stocking problems in the US, so the stores won't have enough to go round.