Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xiaobao12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
It is a 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1 GB RAM.

I know Apple.com says it's OK but do you guys think 1 GB ram with 2.0 GHZ is beefy enough to run it?

Thank you.:eek:

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
It is a 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1 GB RAM.

I know Apple.com says it's OK but do you guys think 1 GB ram with 2.0 GHZ is beefy enough to run it?

Thank you.:eek:

Yeah it should no problem.Then just upgrade to 2GB of ram whenever you get around to it. I know someone with a 1.83Ghz CD MB with 1GB ram who runs SL. Hope that helps. :)

xiaobao12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Thx Macgeek. Do you know if your friend had performance issues? Because right now, there are performance issues even with Tiger (whenever Firefox is open, the computer starts to stall if it has been open for awhile, etc.). Will these things improve with SL?

Thank you:)

xiaobao12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
hey flop, according to some other topic on here, I can actually max out the Macbook with 6GB. Do you have any recommendations on where to get RAM if I want to upgrade?

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
I can vouch for this setup running fine. One of my systems was a MacMini 1.83Ghz with 1Gb of memory and Intel graphics, and aside from being a touch laggardly in Aperture, it ran fine. More memory is always a plus however.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Thx Macgeek. Do you know if your friend had performance issues? Because right now, there are performance issues even with Tiger (whenever Firefox is open, the computer starts to stall if it has been open for awhile, etc.). Will these things improve with SL?

That probably won't improve without more memory. Firefox, even in it's more recent incarnations, is a memory pig. It loves memory. You'll get a slight boost in efficiency from running Intel-only system code instead of Universal code in Leopard, but not enough to offset Firefox.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
hey flop, according to some other topic on here, I can actually max out the Macbook with 6GB. Do you have any recommendations on where to get RAM if I want to upgrade?

Caution that you have a late '07 model and not a prior model. The difference is the earlier will max out at 3.3GB if you install 4GB. I recommend 4GB in you MacBook regardless. That should be plenty unless you have higher unstated needs.

I've always dealt with Other World Computing for my upgrades. Their products are tested and guaranteed to work with Mac products.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Caution that you have a late '07 model and not a prior model. The difference is the earlier will max out at 3.3GB if you install 4GB. I recommend 4GB in you MacBook regardless. That should be plenty unless you have higher unstated needs.

I've always dealt with Other World Computing for my upgrades. Their products are tested and guaranteed to work with Mac products.

+1. You need a Santa Rosa based MacBook or better. Not one based on a GMA950. I think the 4GB RAM modules are not worth the money at the moment. I had a GMA950 MacBook with 3.3GB that ran Firefox just fine. My 3.3GB iMac does too. 4GB is the sweet spot at the moment. Enough RAM to run most things without getting ridiculous in price. You should be fine with 3.3GB/4GB for a few years.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California

you should use Safari,much better web browser.Not to mention it was created for Mac. :) That should boost performance and you should run disk utility every once in awhile.Verify and repair permissions. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.