Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jo0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
check it out and tell me what you think. i'll take it all, positive or otherwise.

thanks.

j

Last edited:

Hey Apple!

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
I like the concept and design of the site. I would suggest making it so that the message will change whenever one refreshes the page, however.

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not a fan of the very stylized text writing on the menu bar images. (it took me a few seconds to figure out what 'submit' was) This again was the case where you drop down the expandable box under each entry on the recent page

But I do like the color scheme

jo0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
I like the concept and design of the site. I would suggest making it so that the message will change whenever one refreshes the page, however.

thats noted and we tried it, but if that was the case it would pull random on every refresh and no permalink for sharing would be possible. most users from feedback have been more than happy w/ clicking the actual quote for the next random pull.

I'm not a fan of the very stylized text writing on the menu bar images. (it took me a few seconds to figure out what 'submit' was) This again was the case where you drop down the expandable box under each entry on the recent page

But I do like the color scheme

yeah we originally thought that would be a good idea, it is a bit difficult to read but its good character.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
I like the design - it is stylized, yet simple. I would say the biggest issue I have is the click to refresh... not that it's bad, but there is no UI notification that clicking on the quote pulls a new one. Why not have a balloon (just like your FB/Twitter boxes at the bottom) that when you hover over the quote you get a simple (Click to get a new quote!) message above the current quote. People who use FB photo galleries might automatically click to get a new quote but a lot of people may sit there waiting on it to auto refresh or spend time looking for a next button. I think you have the best solution already, but you just need to let those who might not get it how simple it is.

One other small thing, if you made the point size on your main text a little bit smaller, you could probably eliminate the scrollbars. Unless you plan to add other content below the ad space that is, in which case it's a moot point.

Hope I could help!

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I like the colours though as a few others have said, I'm not a huge fan of the stylized text for the menu items.

I'm on IE7 on WinXP and admittedly behind a slew of proxies that I've found can cause sites to render a bit awkwardly but - anyhow, the main content box is showing up waaay to the right. The left side of the box is actually lining up with the bottom tip of the 'we go together like' heart. I'm pretty sure this wasn't your intention ;).

I also found a few other oddities with the formatting (again, not sure if it's just me).

Looking good though!

Attachments

• wegotogetherlike.PNG
    wegotogetherlike.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 69
  • wegotogetherlike2.PNG
    wegotogetherlike2.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 70

jo0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
I like the colours though as a few others have said, I'm not a huge fan of the stylized text for the menu items.

I'm on IE7 on WinXP and admittedly behind a slew of proxies that I've found can cause sites to render a bit awkwardly but - anyhow, the main content box is showing up waaay to the right. The left side of the box is actually lining up with the bottom tip of the 'we go together like' heart. I'm pretty sure this wasn't your intention ;).

I also found a few other oddities with the formatting (again, not sure if it's just me).

Looking good though!

thanks for the feeback Mhaddy. yes its not rendered for IE 7 because we dont support IE and what msoft has done with it (or rather has not...), but thank you for publicly admitting that you use it. ;) we look forward to what msoft has started to do w/ 8 and will hopefully be doing 100% in IE 9.

when its finished we will support IE 8 and up, but IE6+7 will get an alert, then be issued a swift
Code:
<style>*{position:relative}</style><table><input></table>
and a quick
Code:
<script>for (x in document.write) { document.write(x);}</script>
to seal the deal.

IE6 and 7 is unforgivable at this point. so crash code is in order.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
thats noted and we tried it, but if that was the case it would pull random on every refresh and no permalink for sharing would be possible. .

This could be done with Javascript. Example:
Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
		window.location = "?quote=driving-and-texting"
	</SCRIPT>
Of course, the name could be set in PHP.

jo0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Grow up. People use what they use. If you don't want to support it that's fine but leave it at that.

people use what they use and i support what i support. i mean i cant be all wrong. huge corporations and tech companies are taking a stand against IE and the horrible support they have for anything to do with the internet. the problem is peoples nonchalant attitude about "using what they use."

im guessing you never made a website?

@ 7031 thank you for your feedback, thats worth looking into.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
huge corporations and tech companies are taking a stand against IE and the horrible support they have for anything to do with the internet. the problem is peoples nonchalant attitude about "using what they use."

I don't support IE 6 either. My problem with your post was the last line:

IE6 and 7 is unforgivable at this point. so crash code is in order.

Now that is truly unforgivable.

im guessing you never made a website?

Guess again.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
thanks for the feeback Mhaddy. yes its not rendered for IE 7 because we dont support IE and what msoft has done with it (or rather has not...), but thank you for publicly admitting that you use it. ;) we look forward to what msoft has started to do w/ 8 and will hopefully be doing 100% in IE 9.
I use IE7 at my 9-to-5 job because I have to. There are still many "huge corporations" and a plethora of users who are still on IE7, as unfortunate as that may be, it's the truth. That in mind, I typically will still develop for/test in IE7 to ensure the page renders properly; it may not be 100%, but I won't kick anyone off the sites I create because of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.